Thread: Atkin Twinkle

Default Atkin Twinkle

I am beginning to favor this Atkin Twinkle. It would make a nice low power estuary launch with a donated short shaft outboard which I would in a well. Although an electric drive would be a greater ticket for quiet cruising.The tunnel drive would make this a nice thin water vessel. a quickish build too with a renewed recycled materials building technique I am itching to try.

As Atkins explained:
    Twinkle is 16 feet 2 inches in over all length; 15 feet 6 inches on the water line; 5 feet 10 inches in breadth; and draws only 9 inches of water -- this with three average weight persons aboard. For a little boat she has a lot of freeboard, a feature which never hurts any motor boat. The topsides have generous flare the entire length of the boat; but there is no flam or vertical curve to the sides. Easier to build this way and to all intents and purposes just as good this way. The bottom is flat, and not too wide in the forward sections. The tunnel is an improvement over the regulation square box type. It is simply a depression in the bottom of correct shape athwartships and fore and aft to induce the water to flow uphill to the propeller and then sweep out through the small orifice in the bottom of the stern. If built just like the plans show it will work perfectly because I have tried it in other boats of similar design. This form of bottom is a little more efficient than the square tunnel type; but not as efficient as the box deadwood model having negative deadrise aft as exemplified in my designs likeEverhope, Heron, and Islamorada, to mention a few.

It will be seen that Twinkle can be run up on the shore without anything striking, only the flat bottom or the heavy skeg. And it is very unlikely that drift wood or snags will tangle with the propeller tucked up in the depression in the bottom. A boat of this shape is an easy one to move on a trailer or truck as it needs neither blocking or bilge poppets. Wherever she is she will sit on an even keel.
    The motors in all boats seem to present a problem to most owners. It seems to me after a great many years of experience that the cheapest in the beginning is not always the best to buy; may end up as the most costly, I am sure that any of the well known and standard types that have been on the market these last many long years will give every satisfaction and thus it comes down to little more than personal preference as to which to install. For Twinkle I would not go over 10 h.p.; and 3 h.p. will be ample for speeds up to six miles an hour. Remember Twinkle is not a racing boat.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-13-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Default Re: Atkin Twinkle

Are you certain the tunnel stern will work with an outboard? I'd be afraid it would ventilate and not draw solid water.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Are you certain the tunnel stern will work with an outboard? I'd be afraid it would ventilate and not draw solid water.
    I have a Honda 2.3 that is air cooled. A venting cowl inside a foam box may be needed. Ideally only a forward drive. I believe I can build the boat to come under 100 lbs. 130 without operator.

I am also toying with the idea of using a forklift electric motor and shaft. I have the various pieces in my garage including a carbon fiber drive shaft and coupler. i would need a whole winter to sort that out.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-13-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

That would be really slick with electric power.

I'm having trouble picturing how this design would work with an outboard. Doesn't the tunnel have to be completely enclosed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    . I believe I can build the boat to come under 100 lbs. 130 without operator.

If thats not missing a zero, a boat weighing under 100lbs is unlikely to have enough submerged hull to even cover a small honda prop.

This boat begs for electric drive. And I'd echo the concerns about trying to make an outboard work. But it looks like a great project and a fun boat.
    -Dave

I believe I have seen wells in which a plate fills the space around the outboard. It is not watertight, but it lessens turbulence.

There has been a lot written on the Atkin tunnel sterns - look up "Rescue Minor". Robb White wrote extensively in MAIB.

I 3/4 built a Rescue Minor of aluminum, and for interim power rigged a 25HP outboard into the tunnel - it was...an experience. The "well" filled to at least a foot above the waterline . Too much to write just now...

Skip the outboard, rig an electric - even a mini-kota permanently mounted - and post pictures!

100-130 pounds? This will be interesting.

Now I'm thinking about your little Honda. I wonder if you can hook the powerhead and lower end together"backwards" so the bevel gear is right under the motor and you just extend the shaft out to the tunnel?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler