Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does the NRA fear a lady from Indiana so much. . .

Default Why does the NRA fear a lady from Indiana so much. . .

That they organized an attack which included death threats?

16760ABD-2455-4837-BFA7-7FFE6AA69A95.jpeg

Who does Gun-nut nation fear more than anyone else? Who is the one person who represents Armageddon when it comes to all those beloved gun ‘rights?’ It’s not Hillary, it’s not Bloomie, it’s not those twenty-odd Presidential wannabes vying for the attention of blue-team donors like me.”

https://mikethegunguy.com/2019/05/13/guess-who-wins-when-its-moms-versus-the-nra/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Why does the NRA fear a lady from Indiana so much. . .

I hope she has what it takes.

MADD was highly successful, and managed to profoundly change the public perception of drinking and driving.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

She's taking the MADD model to gun violence. The NRA should be afraid, they've been preying on peoples' fears so their executives could live like kings.

edited to add: Oh, I see twodot got there first.

I think that the reaction of many gun fans and the organisation make a very good cas for removing firearms from the individuals, and closing down the organisation. And if indeed the NRA has been openly organising threats then that surely defines a terrorist organisation? Surely even the NRA isn't as silly as that.

Unlike what most conservatives think of liberals, I have no problems with people owning guns. I like cars and boats and I own too many of both. Like a car or a boat, what I seek is regulation, licensing, and most importantly, insurance. If I need all three to use a vehicle, I should be forced to have all three to own and use a device designed for one purpose only, to kill.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Unlike what most conservatives think of liberals
    the conservative mantra
    fear
    hate
    lies
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

requiring insurance is a fine idea

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    requiring insurance is a fine idea
    Well, the NRA thought they could make a buck selling insurance, but it all went pear shaped.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...insurance-cost

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Like a car or a boat, what I seek is regulation, licensing, and most importantly, insurance. If I need all three to use a vehicle, I should be forced to have all three to own and use a device designed for one purpose only, to kill.
    We have regulation, so that's covered. You are not required in most States to license or insure a vehicle if only used on your property.

I can see training for concealed carry, but the bad part about that is not everyone can afford the training. So serious training requirements are going to affect the poor more than the rich. The poor live in areas with higher crime rates. At some point we'll have priced guns to the point that only the rich have them. Just something to consider if you trying not to be the 'boot of oppression'.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    the conservative mantra
    fear
    hate
    lies
    Which begs the question, why are so many content to just go along with the republican mantra?

Is it because thier parents were GOP members, schoolmates? I can't imagine looking up to anyone holding those views. What on earth could explain that? The enjoyment of watching or imagining suffering of others perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    We have regulation, so that's covered. You are not required in most States to license or insure a vehicle if only used on your property.

I can see training for concealed carry, but the bad part about that is not everyone can afford the training. So serious training requirements are going to affect the poor more than the rich. The poor live in areas with higher crime rates. At some point we'll have priced guns to the point that only the rich have them. Just something to consider if you trying not to be the 'boot of oppression'.
    We have some regulation and it doesn’t seem to exist uniformly. That is where problems seem to come into play. Guns seem to flow from places with less regulation to places with more regulation (See : Chicago).

Frankly, the “vehicle used only on your property” example is pretty tired, Brian. In most places a vehicle you can only drive on your own property is not very useful. The likelihood of a firearm spontaneously appearing on your private property without getting there from some legal gun sales business is pretty unlikely, too.

Also, with respect to guns and the poor, there seems to be no problem with people of little means obtaining guns, otherwise it wouldn’t be a dangerous area with higher crime rates. So what you’re saying is that in these areas the guns cause the area to be dangerous and people need guns to protect themselves. Hmm... Why don’t we just reduce the number of guns?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

NRA members went nuts over her thoughts on banning centerpoint armor piercing ammunition. It seemed like a pretty reasonable position to me, got her a bunch of death threats by Big brave men. Sad.

The vehicle analogy, misses the mark totally. The training concern affecting only the poor? We have to start somewhere, people are being shot by spouses in Publix markets and at construction sites by coworkers, but keep deflecting. Sad.
    Last edited by CK 17; 05-13-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Banning Armor Piercing ammo seems like a good thing to do. I can't think of a single reason a hunter would need something like that.

While it may be impossible to remove all the illegal firearms in this country, a good way to mitigate what they do is to regulate the ammo. Here in NJ, I can't buy ammo because I do not have the permission to own a firearm. I am not even allowed to own ammo. Seems like a pretty fair way to keep the guns out of the bad guy's hands. Make it impossible for them to get ammo.. unless they are filling their own.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/ammun...in-new-jersey/
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I doubt anything will be done about the present iteration of your civil war.

'price 'a freedom donchaknow…………….

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    MADD was highly successful, and managed to profoundly change the public perception of drinking and driving.
    MADD never tried to ban a particular brand or class of drink. Which was smart of them.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    MADD never tried to ban a particular brand or class of drink. Which was smart of them.
    Connecting a behavior to a device readily observed and identifiable from a distance, both registered and insured to a person of record makes it far easier to link it to a crime, almost a slam dunk.

And yet, Art, the gun murder rate in NJ is about 2.8 per 100,000 population, while VT, without as many restrictions, has only about 0.3 per 100,000

armor piercing ammo regulation is a fight that doesnt really matter, other than to get cops into her organization's gun regulation organization

that said, how many people (cops) died last year due to being shot with armor piercing bullets?
    i'm thinking none, nor were there any killed the year before. . . or the year before. . . or. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    armor piercing ammo regulation is a fight that doesnt really matter, other than to get cops into her organization's gun regulation organization

that said, how many people (cops) died last year due to being shot with armor piercing bullets?
    i'm thinking none, nor were there any killed the year before. . . or the year before. . . or. . .
    Sure put a bee in somebody’s bonnet, ‘tho.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    And yet, Art, the gun murder rate in NJ is about 2.8 per 100,000 population, while VT, without as many restrictions, has only about 0.3 per 100,000
    Not sure that's a fair comparison. If I lived in Camden, Newark or Patterson or in any number of other northern NJ cities I'd probably start shooting people too. IMO, environment plays a role.

@ the OP: So - banning armor piercing ammo. Why not? What reason, other than killing a cop or having bragging rights is there for any civilian to own armor piercing ammo? Is it used often to kill cops? Probably not (as Paul says) - but it's symbolic: "We can actually pass a law about firearms".
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Think of it as a loss leader.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The only use for armour piercing rounds in civilian life is to kill persons wearing bullet proof vests………..

Such as police, sure. But also bodyguards, gangsters, etc. Body armour is a product, eh? For sale fairly widely, and purchased by folks who figure they might be shot at.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Children's armoured backpacks………...

Pretty eh?

The entire concept of armored backpacks for kids sickens me. Why in any sane world should they even be thought of, much less needed?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

"Why in any sane world…."

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Not sure that's a fair comparison. If I lived in Camden, Newark or Patterson or in any number of other northern NJ cities I'd probably start shooting people too. IMO, environment plays a role.

@ the OP: So - banning armor piercing ammo. Why not? What reason, other than killing a cop or having bragging rights is there for any civilian to own armor piercing ammo? Is it used often to kill cops? Probably not (as Paul says) - but it's symbolic: "We can actually pass a law about firearms".
    No, it's not a fair comparison. Unlike Vermont, we have some of the poorest areas in the country within our borders. Camden being one of the worst. We have a lot of gangs, graft, and are a major corridor on the east coast for persons and things flowing north towards New England. We are also one of the most densely populated states in the country, which is by itself, scary. The southern end of the state is mostly empty in the middle.. so most of that population density is along the I-95 corridor ending at NYC.

The Northwest and South end of the state are rather nice, it's that swath through the middle from Philly to NYC where all the people and problems are

-Dalai Lama

more gun haters spouting off about stuff they don't know.

anyone want to define "armor piercing"?

and anyone want to make a list of cartridges that fall under that category?

nope. you just want to say ARMOR PIERCING!!!! whadda weez needz DEM FER?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Why don't you define it?

Why don't you do it? Seems a pretty nonsensical enough task.

Really? Who in specific?
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Mothers against drunk driving model unnerves you Alan? Even if the organization decides to have a focus on a kind of ammo you think they don't understand?

Hey, why not focus instead on whatever calibre was used the most in mass shooter events instead? Or the one that kills the most people, whoever pulls the trigger?

The ammo choice is just a means to focus attention; the objective, as with MADD, is to change the culture in a way which results in fewer casualties.

Banning armor piercing rounds is like banning bump stocks - there is no reasonable need for the general public to own them.
    -William A. Ward

more gun haters spouting off about stuff they don't know.

I guess there should have been some real, no BS discussion on common sense gun legislation before it came to this, eh? But instead of coming to the table in good faith, the pro-gun crowd just ignored the deaths and stuck their fingers deeper into their ears. Get ready to reap. . .
    Nosce te ipsum

She does have them spooked! She is on the road with numerous speaking engagements.

NRA is responding to her Twitter feed...

D541CA69-E44F-4505-AE76-8572741E768C.jpg
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

here's a fun read for the grabbers

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ng-ammunition/