Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian timbers

Default Re: Australian timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    My “greenie” nerve is going off Tassie timbers let alone the price,see #28
    No problem with the specialty Tassie timbers, they are managed and harvested very responsibly now. Ain't cheap ~$8K/m3 but that's what you're paying for.
    The SE Asian and African timbers - that's another story. Cheaper, maybe not so responsibly managed.
    Plantation timbers - cheap as well, quality maybe not so great, and monoculture not so good for the environment.
    You pays your money and makes your choice.............

For the green streak in you camphor laurel and paulownia should be just perfect.
    Another option would be to see what exactly is affordable and sustainable locally and pay the designer to redo the math for those exact timber species.

I’m not aware of any huon pine being harvested anywhere now - it’s all salvaged timber.

You are right though Andrew, the cost is (was) scary - buying that log for me was more like buying a diamond than buying a bit of wood: an investment in one of natures rare masterpieces.....(But being able to do this is a big reason why I’ve been suffering the impacts of contracting away from home for the last few years).

Possibly half of my log will go into my cabin sides and bulkheads but I’m extraordinarily frugal with all of my good timber and that behaviour helped me with my decision to invest in it - the rest will go into furniture and gifts and so on over my remaining years and there won’t be an inch of it wasted.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I’m not aware of any huon pine being harvested anywhere now - it’s all salvaged timber.

You are right though Andrew, the cost is (was) scary - buying that log for me was more like buying a diamond than buying a bit of wood: an investment in one of natures rare masterpieces.....(But being able to do this is a big reason why I’ve been suffering the impacts of contracting away from home for the last few years)d.

Possibly half of my log will go into my cabin sides and bulkheads but I’m extraordinarily frugal with all of my good timber and that behaviour helped me with my decision to invest in it - the rest will go into furniture and gifts and so on over my remaining years and there won’t be an inch of it wasted.
    There's apparently a fair bit of Huon tht died after the recent fires, but which will need to be cut down soon.....