Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool organization

Default Tool organization

In the innocence of my youth I raced motorcycles. And for that purpose I had a small red craftsman toolbox. Not merely the sort with the lift out tray, but one with actual drawers. In it I threw a few random screwdrivers and wrenches - enough for minimal maintenance. And it was good.

Eventually, as I got more serious, I started racing faster bikes that required more work to run. And so my tool collection outgrew my little box. To accommodate it all I bought myself a large, shiny, red Husky rolling cabinet, of which I was very proud. All of my mechanic's tools fit nicely into it, organized by type or job. The sockets nestled onto bars with little clips to hold them in the correct order. The wrenches sat neatly in their racks. Pliers lay with pliers, screwdrivers lay with screwdrivers and they did not comingle. And so it was good again.

After some time I stopped racing motorcycles and began tinkering with old cars. This new hobby demanded a few new tools as well, but happily I found that they still all fit in my large, shiny, red Husky rolling cabinet. Contentment reigned across the land. Except, except, except that now there was a hint of a shadow in paradise. The valve spring compressor didn't quite fit into any of the drawers so it had to live in a box on a shelf. And the puller that I bought to service the hubs on a vintage Jeep Wagoneer didn't really go with anything else so it was lumped in awkwardly with a dead blow hammer and some other random tools like the brake spring pliers. Not a problem I thought. I'll just have a drawer for "tools I don't use very often". Problem solved.

A few years later we bought a house. An old house, with old house needs. Plumbing. Electrical. Paint. A bit of woodwork even. More tools were purchased to tackle these jobs. And to store them all I bought a nice little oak rolling cabinet with a top box and drawers lined with green felt. More than adequate for the moderate toolkit that I thought I needed. And so it was that for several more years most of my tools lived happily in their respective places. Those few that were cast out into the cold were used rarely, if at all, so they were easy enough to ignore.

Somewhere in there I started riding bicycles and quickly became serious about that as well. I acquired yet another set of tools for the purpose of maintaining the bikes. They all fit neatly in one small drawer of the oak rolling cabinet but to free up that drawer for the bicycle tools I had to combine a couple of other drawers. Screwdrivers now lived with pliers. My organization was no longer quite so pristine as it had been.

And then... I bought an old fishing boat in need of restoration. I had owned wooden boats before but the only work I ever did on them myself was hull paint. Other people did everything else. But Petrel needed far, far more than that. And I did not have money to pay anyone else to do the work so if it was going to get done, I needed to figure out how to do it myself. So the tools multiplied. Sanders, vacuum cleaners, hand tools, power tools, woodworking tools beyond number, even metalworking tools.

These tools quickly outgrew my available storage so I resorted to a motley collection of tool bags, buckets and other containers to tote them around from job to job. And lacking any permanent place for them to live, they were just transfered to some new bin every time I needed to assemble them for the next project, never returning to any fixed location. Chaos ruled.

In comparison to many members of this forum I'm sure that I'm a mere piker in the matter of tool ownership, but nonetheless the situation is now is entirely out of control. I still have the Husky rolling cabinet, now over a quarter-century old and not so shiny any longer. It is crammed full of tools with no organization whatsoever. The oak cabinet is in better shape but my efforts to keep it that way are a rearguard action at best.

And so I now have tools in cabinets. Tools in bins. Tools in bags. Tools in buckets. Tools in boxes. Tools on the workbench. Tools on the table saw. Tools at the house. Tools at the shop. Tools in Seattle on Petrel. Tools in Blaine on Skookum Maru. And none of these thousands of planes, saws, wrenches, drills, crimpers, scrapers, hammers, mallets, etc., are in any sort of order at all. Not even remotely. I might just as well have tossed them all into a huge drum, spun it around until well-mixed, and dumped them into random containers. For any given job I spend far more time finding the tools I need than actually accomplishing the work.

I need help.

I know that I need more tool storage - that's a given. But I'm not even sure where to start. Another rolling cabinet? Peg board for hanging tools? Both? Something else? And what goes where? Woodworking tools with woodworking tools and mechanic's tools with mechanic's tools? Or edged tools with edged tools, gripping tools with gripping tools, and so forth? In my ideal universe I would have an enormous old workbench running the full length of the basement, with a hundred small drawers for tools, all labeled, and a peg board or similar system for hanging the most frequently used tools at hand's reach. Since that's not going to happen I need another plan.

Please remit your comments, suggestions, photos, anecdotes, examples good and bad, via the usual method. Humor welcome. Criticism born with what grace I can muster.

Default Re: Tool organization

I’d like to help, really I would, but my thousands of tools are a hopeless mess spread over multiple locations. Just like you it turns out.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I take an entirely different approach. I hide my tools from myself, usually in a location that I'm obviously expecting myself to remember and then find them with a surprised "EUREKA!" the day after I need them and have bought a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    I’d like to help, really I would, but my thousands of tools are a hopeless mess spread over multiple locations. Just like you it turns out.
    Ah, well, I'm proud to be in your company Jim. Maybe someone will come along with advice for us both.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I take an entirely different approach. I hide my tools from myself, usually in a location that I'm obviously expecting myself to remember and then find them with a surprised "EUREKA!" the day after I need them and have bought a replacement.
    Oh man - yes. That's another problem. I now have five of everything because it's easier to buy a new one than find the one that I KNOW that I have somewhere. Infuriating.

Sadly, chaos rules here, too.

Maybe being retired helps. I’ve noticed that the organization in my dad’s shop has improved quite a bit in the last few years...
    -Jim

Maybe being retired helps. I’ve noticed that the organization in my dad’s shop has improved quite a bit in the last few years...
    You may be right Jim. My model of tool storage nirvana has always been my grandfather's shop. He was retired, ex-Navy, a perfectionist, and a restorer of the sort of vintage race cars that have "provenance". His workshop reflected all of those attributes. It may be asking too much to approach that level of organization but I would like to at least be able to lay my hands on a tape measure. I know I own at least six of the damned things so it seems not unreasonable to be able to find just one.

interesting timing. I picked up a tool chest this morning that belonged to my late brother. His son had it at his house and is moving. I now have another collection of tools. And I too have tools on the boat. Tools on the motorcycle and tools in the sidecar rig. Some tools in the shed and some in the garage. And it would be nice to have them organized, but I would settle for having the tool I need in the place where I am
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I would settle for having the tool I need in the place where I am
    Yes. Me too. But I think the only way for me to accomplish that goal is if every tool I own has a place that it returns to after I use it. That way at least if the tools do get jumbled - as they always do - I have a method for un-jumbling them. As it stands I can only shuffle them from bag, to bin, to bucket, to workbench and back again.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Ah, well, I'm proud to be in your company Jim. Maybe someone will come along with advice for us both.
    The problem is you started off on the wrong foot and formed bad habits and unrealistic expectations. You need to relax, maybe get some therapy for your OCD, and learn to go with the flow. As others have said, sometimes you will have an opportunity to buy a second or even a third of a tool you already have but which does not come immediately to hand. That is a good thing. Over time you will develop a sort of unconscious 6th sense about where you left a tool which you last used 7 years ago. I find that it helps if you actually touch as many tools as you can whenever you are looking for a lost one. This time you might be looking for a left handed ball peen hammer, but next time you will remember exactly where the circlip pliers are. It's a rare and beautiful thing to not just be comfortable but to revel in chaos.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Maybe someone will come along with advice ...
    I advise that you don't show anyone the workshop on Skookum Maru because if they knew, you would never get another drop of sympathy here. I've seen three-car garages that were not as nice !

But you're a computer guy ... just get a couple of industrial cabinets with locking doors (or Lista cabinets if you want to go berserk) and make a database. It's not as efficient as being organized but at least you'll be able to find stuff.

Not in my case. I just have more time not to find the tool I'm looking for. I thought I had the pencil thing figured out by starting a project with at least a half dozen, but in short time they all manage to migrate out of sight.

I noticed while in the Navy the mechanics had an outline of every tool painted on the wall of their shop. At the end of their shift all the outlines had to be filled. I briefly thought about it, but knew that I'd end up with a wall nicely painted with the outline of tools and tools still scattered about.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

In the innocence of my youth I raced motorcycles. [...]
    That is good literature, should fit as a chronicle in any decent magazine.

/Mats

Elected Swedish Yourneyman of the Year 2019

It’s hard enough to stay focused on given project. Most attempts to organize are doomed by distraction and entropy. Maybe someday ..... I wish I could find the tool I put down three minutes ago.

Good organization and storage requires adequate space to store everything and there is no getting around that fact. When you have a dedicated shop large enough for a big project, floor machines and lots of wall space the issue is less pressing than having just a garage.

I moved a few times over the last 30 years and tool storage space became a real issue. I bought a very large rolling metal tool cabinet about 10 years ago for the majority of my hand tools. The cabinet solved a lot of the problem.

I have a complete set of use old kitchen cabinets in my garage for my electric hand tools and other miscellaneous storage.

I don't spend any time sorting tools into visual order. As long as the tools are in the correct cabinet or drawer I'm fine with that.

When you go mobile with tools, tool boxes and bags need to be a size that limits the weight to what can be carried without hurting yourself.

Put your tools away before moving to the next task. That solves a lot of the chaos.

Bud McIntosh told about the old boat builder that confessed that only 45 years of his life had been spent actually working; he had spent the other five years looking for his bevel gauge.

I wish I could say otherwise, but chaos rules me as well. Oh sure, I have the basic "gotta have it" mechanics tools in a case, but it's the less often used stuff that's a problem. Mechanic's tools, carpentry tool, plumbing, metalworking, etc. etc. Making sense of them all is not easy. Then there's the multiple location issue which guarantees that the 36" pipe wrench will be in Maine when I need it here in Vermont.

Having a large enough dedicated space I think really does help - but that's only a guess because I've never had one. I may get to that space by the fall, but I'll believe it when I see it. Still won't solve the multi-state issue.

Meanwhile - anyone seen the 3' level? I've got the 2' & the 6' - but for this job the 3' would be perfect...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I'm pretty disorganized, but I do have a method. Tools are grouped by use or project. There is a box for saws, just the couple that get the most use. A bag for hull work, including tools for cleaning seams, removing screws, clearing the screw hole, boring and installing more. Each tool kit gets a hammer and tape measure. While I have many planes and chisels, a modest wooden wine box holds a small assortment that will do most jobs. On board the boat there are mechanical and woodworking tools, plus the special tools she requires. The back of the car has open end and socket wrenches, screwdrivers, torx, vice grips, breaker bar and so on. Then there is a steel tool box in the garage with more extensive tools, another with exotic tools (ball joint separator) Generally I can grab one tool box per job, maybe two. This method requires duplication mostly of common tools, but it works in any size home or shop

Chris, since you work in multiple locations, you might look into a tool trailer, instead of a tool box.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I notice Tom W and Brian W haven’t chimed in yet. I think they don’t let chaos rule their tool organization.

as soon as i clean the catbox then make brekky, i'm headed out to clean the shop. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The problem is you started off on the wrong foot and formed bad habits and unrealistic expectations. You need to relax, maybe get some therapy for your OCD, and learn to go with the flow. As others have said, sometimes you will have an opportunity to buy a second or even a third of a tool you already have but which does not come immediately to hand. That is a good thing. Over time you will develop a sort of unconscious 6th sense about where you left a tool which you last used 7 years ago. I find that it helps if you actually touch as many tools as you can whenever you are looking for a lost one. This time you might be looking for a left handed ball peen hammer, but next time you will remember exactly where the circlip pliers are. It's a rare and beautiful thing to not just be comfortable but to revel in chaos.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Ah, Phil I've tried that approach. I really have. "Just let it go", I think. "No, the the socks do not need to be organized by color". And over the years I have succeeded in some areas. I no longer spend hours trying to make my checking account balance down to the nearest penny every week, for example. Nearest dollar is fine. Nowadays I am only rarely compelled to empty out the linen closet, re-fold everything so the piles are square and put it all back in order by size. But the urge is always there.

Once, early in our relationship after we had only been living together for a short time, my then-girlfriend, now-wife went for a short trip with her mother. While she was gone the change came over me and I was powerless to resist. Working late into the night for several days running I emptied the kitchen cabinets and restowed every pot, pan, spice jar and cup. I organized the medicine cabinet. I rearranged the furniture according to some now-forgotten principle of correctness. I may have moved the bed to another wall. It was a coup of startling speed and magnitude, and one that I didn't even know I was performing. I thought I was just tidying up. But I remember the looks on the faces of my wife and her mother when they returned to a house that no longer resembled the one they had left a few days before. "Astonished" would not be the half of it. My wife is a patient woman and I think she eventually forgave me but I also think she worries just a little bit every time she leaves me alone in the house for more than a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    I advise that you don't show anyone the workshop on Skookum Maru because if they knew, you would never get another drop of sympathy here. I've seen three-car garages that were not as nice !

But you're a computer guy ... just get a couple of industrial cabinets with locking doors (or Lista cabinets if you want to go berserk) and make a database. It's not as efficient as being organized but at least you'll be able to find stuff.
    Ah, there's irony for you. For those who have not seen the lovely Skookum Maru in person, I will note that among her many charms, she possesses a real, honest-to-goshen, workbench in the engine compartment. With a vise, a tool drawer and clips for tools on the bulkhead. It's located so that with the hatches open you can stand at it and have full headroom while working. This is all in a 40' boat mind you, not some enormous yacht with a walk-in engine room. And that workbench is the only organized space I possess at the moment. There is also a workbench in the boathouse where S.M. lives. It's very handy, or it would be if it were not covered in tools, copper scraps and bits of wood from the stove installation project. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    Not in my case. I just have more time not to find the tool I'm looking for. I thought I had the pencil thing figured out by starting a project with at least a half dozen, but in short time they all manage to migrate out of sight.

I noticed while in the Navy the mechanics had an outline of every tool painted on the wall of their shop. At the end of their shift all the outlines had to be filled. I briefly thought about it, but knew that I'd end up with a wall nicely painted with the outline of tools and tools still scattered about.
    Yeah, I probably would as well. But at least I'd have a place to put things when it eventually came to tidy up.

Quote Originally Posted by mohsart View Post
    That is good literature, should fit as a chronicle in any decent magazine.

/Mats
    Thanks Mats.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    It’s hard enough to stay focused on given project. Most attempts to organize are doomed by distraction and entropy. Maybe someday ..... I wish I could find the tool I put down three minutes ago.
    Yes. That too. It's hard to have good working habits when every space is cluttered and you have to shove things into piles just to make a place to work.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Good organization and storage requires adequate space to store everything and there is no getting around that fact. When you have a dedicated shop large enough for a big project, floor machines and lots of wall space the issue is less pressing than having just a garage.

I moved a few times over the last 30 years and tool storage space became a real issue. I bought a very large rolling metal tool cabinet about 10 years ago for the majority of my hand tools. The cabinet solved a lot of the problem.

I have a complete set of use old kitchen cabinets in my garage for my electric hand tools and other miscellaneous storage.

I don't spend any time sorting tools into visual order. As long as the tools are in the correct cabinet or drawer I'm fine with that.

When you go mobile with tools, tool boxes and bags need to be a size that limits the weight to what can be carried without hurting yourself.

Put your tools away before moving to the next task. That solves a lot of the chaos.
    Good thoughts - thanks navydog. I'm definitely of the "put your tools away before moving on" school of thought. I just need the space to do it. I've thought about getting some old kitchen cabinets for tool storage. That's probably the right idea but it also seems like I'd be creating a whole new project when all I want to do is put away my tools from the last one. Or last fifty.

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner36 View Post
    Bud McIntosh told about the old boat builder that confessed that only 45 years of his life had been spent actually working; he had spent the other five years looking for his bevel gauge.
    He was a funny and wise man. I think the curse of the missing pencil - or bevel gauge - is just something that comes with being a tool using species. The first proto-humans certainly spent much of their time looking for that flint-chipper that they just put down right over by that rock, damn it! But I'll bet Bud could find a spokeshave when he needed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I wish I could say otherwise, but chaos rules me as well. Oh sure, I have the basic "gotta have it" mechanics tools in a case, but it's the less often used stuff that's a problem. Mechanic's tools, carpentry tool, plumbing, metalworking, etc. etc. Making sense of them all is not easy. Then there's the multiple location issue which guarantees that the 36" pipe wrench will be in Maine when I need it here in Vermont.

Having a large enough dedicated space I think really does help - but that's only a guess because I've never had one. I may get to that space by the fall, but I'll believe it when I see it. Still won't solve the multi-state issue.

Meanwhile - anyone seen the 3' level? I've got the 2' & the 6' - but for this job the 3' would be perfect...
    I think it's on my workbench under the flaring kit Garret

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I notice Tom W and Brian W haven’t chimed in yet. I think they don’t let chaos rule their tool organization.
    Ah - but when you are using tools in your profession, it's a different deal. I'd wanna know how organized their home tools are.

Your stuff at home is perfectly organized, just like what you take onsite - right?

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    I'm pretty disorganized, but I do have a method. Tools are grouped by use or project. There is a box for saws, just the couple that get the most use. A bag for hull work, including tools for cleaning seams, removing screws, clearing the screw hole, boring and installing more. Each tool kit gets a hammer and tape measure. While I have many planes and chisels, a modest wooden wine box holds a small assortment that will do most jobs. On board the boat there are mechanical and woodworking tools, plus the special tools she requires. The back of the car has open end and socket wrenches, screwdrivers, torx, vice grips, breaker bar and so on. Then there is a steel tool box in the garage with more extensive tools, another with exotic tools (ball joint separator) Generally I can grab one tool box per job, maybe two. This method requires duplication mostly of common tools, but it works in any size home or shop
    Thanks John. I do like that idea and it's pretty much what I've been trying to do. I have a "woodworking" bag with planes and chisels and japanese saws, a sanding kit, various other boxes and bags with other purposes and so on. But it's not working for me. I start out with things in their correct spots but over the course of a project they all just get dumped into one bag and I'm back where I started. Maybe I just don't have enough containers, but I think the right answer for me is that everything has to live in a drawer or on a peg somewhere. If I need tools for a project I will gather them up in a tote of some sort, take them to the work, complete the work, and put them back. It's just the way my mind works.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Chris, since you work in multiple locations, you might look into a tool trailer, instead of a tool box.

When I was first working on Petrel there was a guy in the yard with a trailer like that. I had full-on tool envy for a while. But I can only imagine what my neighbors would say if I parked something like that in the front yard. Or my wife! No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    as soon as i clean the catbox then make brekky, i'm headed out to clean the shop. . .
    Thanks everyone. I'm still thinking on the problem. But if I come up with a plan I'll post it here for critique and amusement.

Aha! Chris is the one that stole my double flaring kit. No wonder I couldn't find it!

My best advice is to never never never set a tool down in an absentminded manner. Always take visual note of where you put it. You can then put it anywhere and still have a chance to remember where it is. But set it down without looking while thinking about something else..... it will take effort and luck to locate it again.

My second bit of advice is to never change a tool's storage spot. Then it won't matter where you store the tool because you'll always remember where that storage place is. Of course this means that you can never move.

I seldom follow my own advice.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    My best advice is to never never never set a tool down in an absentminded manner. Always take visual note of where you put it. You can then put it anywhere and still have a chance to remember where it is. But set it down without looking while thinking about something else..... it will take effort and luck to locate it again.

My second bit of advice is to never change a tool's storage spot. Then it won't matter where you store the tool because you'll always remember where that storage place is. Of course this means that you can never move.

I seldom follow my own advice.

Jeff
    Good advice Jeff. Ok then. It seems like the place to start is to list the tools and where I would ideally *like* to have them. I took a mental inventory this morning and came up with this plan.

Hanging and easily visible

Safety gear (ear and eye protection, dust mask)
    Coveralls and shop apron
    Pens, pencils and marking tools
    Straightedges
    Squares
    Levels
    Tape measure
    Multi-bit screwdriver
    Hammers and mallets
    Large hand saws
    Slick
    Spare circular saw and table saw blades

In drawers

Wrenches (standard and adjustable)
    Wrenches (metric)
    ”, ⅜” and ” socket sets (metric and standard)
    Screwdrivers, allen wrenches and driver bits
    Pliers
    Router bits and collets
    Drill bits
    Hole saws
    Brace and bits
    Electrical tools
    Tube and pipe cutting, flaring and bending tools
    Chisels
    Planes
    Wood files and rasps
    Small or folding hand saws
    Measuring tools
    Sharpening tools
    Metalworking tools (hacksaw, snips, metal files)
    Drifts, nail sets, punches, cold chisels

On shelves in totes or bins

Hand power tools
    Shop vac
    Large/oversized tools
    Specialized tools, (e.g. letter punch set)
    Anything else that I don't use often

In the Husky roll cab at the shop

Specialized mechanics tools (e.g. SU carburetor tuning kit, timing light, etc.)
    ” socket set
    Other stuff I will never need at home or on the boat

And… in my dream workshop I will have a dedicated surface on which to lay tools during a project. It will never be a work surface, just a tool ledge. And a dedicated charging center for cordless tool batteries.

What am I missing?

Maybe an old tool truck?

IMG_1156.jpg

But seriously, I discovered that old wood and glass gun-cabinets can be had for a song.
    Strip the gunracks out, and fill,it with shelves and you have a deluxe glass fronted tool box. Often these have a couple of drawers for ammo etc that can be used for smaller stuff. Glass fronted bookcases work also.

SU carburetor tuning kit
    bet that was a purchase filled with hope and optimism

old **** just never dies from rust out there does it
    you make california seem more a paradise than joe ever does
    and a big ass piece of found driftwood to boot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post

old **** just never dies from rust out there does it
    you make california seem more a paradise than joe ever does
    and a big ass piece of found driftwood to boot!
    The truth is, Joe lives in the worst part of Cali.

Peace,
    Sierra Life, What?

lateral file drawers can be had for a song here in Vermont from recycle outfits. Power saws top drawer, sanders second drawer, planer and router, third, and paint rollers, pans, etc. bottom drawer. I have four of these in my shop, some hold fasteneers, various hand tools, etc. cost $10 per drawer.

Ah, there's irony for you. For those who have not seen the lovely Skookum Maru in person, I will note that among her many charms, she possesses a real, honest-to-goshen, workbench in the engine compartment. With a vise, a tool drawer and clips for tools on the bulkhead. It's located so that with the hatches open you can stand at it and have full headroom while working. This is all in a 40' boat mind you, not some enormous yacht with a walk-in engine room. And that workbench is the only organized space I possess at the moment. There is also a workbench in the boathouse where S.M. lives. It's very handy, or it would be if it were not covered in tools, copper scraps and bits of wood from the stove installation project. Sigh.
    Wait, you can’t just throw something like that out there and then just move on. This requires pictures. Anything else is just cruel.
    -Jim

bet that was a purchase filled with hope and optimism
    I see your point Paul But having owned a long string of Volvo 122s with twin SUs I became reasonably proficient at tuning and balancing them. Using the right oil in the dashpots helps. Making sure that the throttle shafts aren't worn does too. After that they are really pretty simple beasts. Far less complex than a side draft Weber, for example.

Wait, you can’t just throw something like that out there and then just move on. This requires pictures. Anything else is just cruel.

Not the best photo but it's what I have for now. I think it was taken at least two owners ago. Paul, the former owner who we bought S.M. from, cleaned up this area a lot. New paint on the bulkhead for one thing. It no longer sports the pinup calendar, for another. And there are now clips for a larger assortment of tools on the bulkhead as well. But you can get the idea.

With both hatches open there is standing headroom and a reasonable amount of space to work.