Thread: Seam compound... small amounts

Default Seam compound... small amounts

For bigger boat jobs, I go down to the store and pick up a can of underwater seam compound or more depending on the depth and length of the job. At 45 the quart can its overkill for what I now: reseam compound about 15 feet of seam on the bottom of my dory skiff. It was properly caulked, just weeping a bit after a couple of decades. Cotton is fine. I've cleaned the seams ( hacksaw hook and a seal puller were the things as well as a craftsman hooked awl, sanded with sticky back on a putty knife) and I'm ready to go. I don't want compound that comes it big tubes as I don't need that much; small tubes is where its at. The old material which was pretty tenacious looks to be glazing compound, and DAP is readily available in small tubes... in several varieties. It's what many small boat builders up here would use ( Maine). And it is a lot less then what the local marine store has: Boatlife, 4200, Sudbury elastomeric? Any reason not to stay with 'traditional' window glazing?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: Seam compound... small amounts

As long as it stays in the seam it's ok. Be certain it is pushed into the cotton to help it stay in place. Window putty isn't all that sticky.

I use oil based window glazing compound. If too thick I add a touch of linseed oil. Oil based paint will cure over it. Some will not dry over the new synthetic goo they are hawking now at an unbelievable prices. When I use a less than a full can of seam compound the way to keep it fresh is to spray in a squirt of Bloxygen and store the can inverted if it is nearly full. If less than half full add more Bloxygen and store the can right side up. The reason is that Bloxygen is heavier than air and will settle on the surface of the contents of the can. A can of it lasts me about two years as only a small spritz is needed.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-10-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Winter of 17-18 I refastened one side of WS, using glazing putty to fill the screw holes. Cheap, easy, effective so far.

I have used it too,... never had a problem. The only downside I have seen is that it does dry out over time, so it may not be the best if you need it soft and are months away from going in the water.

to soften a good bit of it quickly just put it in the microwave for a bit, that does the trick.