Thread: Zumwalt destroyers

Default Zumwalt destroyers

guns out, missiles in. Sure seems like the urge to build something big and expensive is greater than building for a mission.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-..._medium=social

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — The U.S. Navy is considering a significant change to its new stealth destroyers, one driven by the change of mission announced in last year’s budget documents, the head of the program said May 7 at the Sea-Air-Space conference.

The service has been struggling to find a use for the ship’s advanced gun system — the largest of its type fielded by the service since World War II — and now is considering stripping them off the platform entirely, said Capt. Kevin Smith, the DDG-1000 program manager at Program Executive Officer Ships.

The Navy sidelined the guns after the service truncated the buy to just three ships, and after the ammunition, called the Long-Range Land-Attack Projectile, ballooned in price to more than $800,000 per round.

"The guns are in layup,” Smith said. “We're waiting for that bullet to come around that will give us the most range possible. But given that that is offensive surface strike, we're going to look at other capabilities potentially that we could use in that volume.”

The ships shifted missions from land attack to ship-hunting and -killing last year. The Navy is integrating the SM-6 missile, which has a surface-attack mode, and are integrating the maritime strike Tomahawk to fill out the new capabilities.

Default Re: Zumwalt destroyers

A very good friend of mine used to work software for Raytheon and was comfortably employed for years doing missle safety software for the Zumwalts. What a boondoggle the thing is.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

boondoggle?

nah mate, its doing exactly what it was designed to do, transfer tax payer dollars to the mic
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Such lines, what a beauty!

My son, who served as OS (including weapons systems) on DDG82, a guided missile destroyer, says it seems shortsighted to him. Too many scenarios where the fragility of electronic systems, limited number of trained operators. or the lack of redundancy of weapons systems, could leave the ship crippled. He, for instance, was cross-trained on the 50 cal. guns... and always thought that was a good approach.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I have been looking for a reasonable use for this ridiculously expensive elephant for years. It scary that the Navy and pentagon brass have the same problem. When the flavor of the month political bosses are able to siphon massive money into their districts of states for murky projects this is the inevitable result. Realization that such gee wiz weapons can be defeated by large numbers of simple and cheap countermeasures should make even war hawks hide in shame. Heads should roll, but they wont. But out great military needs more funding, or so says our great leader. I would hazard a guess that just one of these monsters costs as much or more than all the US destroyers built in WW2.
    Tom L

the navy doesn't want them or need them and would prefered to have between and eight and sixteen addition burke class destroyers

this was a congressional mandated project, It was intended to take the place of battleships in meeting a congressional mandate for naval fire support.

dumbest **** ever

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    It was intended to take the place of battleships ...
    At least the battleships were kinda cool. If you have to pay for something useless at least she oughta look good.

The aesthetics remind Ne plus ca change... me of same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Xanthorrea

I'm reminded of the short story Superiority, written by Arthur C Clarke in 1951. Hugely expensive and devastating new experimental weapons can be a liability. It's a wonderfully dated work ("The Analyzer contained just short of a million vacuum tubes...") but it's Zumwalt through-and-through.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I'm reminded of the short story Superiority, written by Arthur C Clarke in 1951. Hugely expensive and devastating new experimental weapons can be a liability. It's a wonderfully dated work ("The Analyzer contained just short of a million vacuum tubes...") but it's Zumwalt through-and-through.

Andy
    I am writing this in an attempt to refute some of the lying reports broadcast over the prison radio and published in the papers I have been allowed to see.

Only positive thing that the Zumwalt has done so far is to provide 5,000+ jobs in Maine. Bath Iron Works is thus the largest employer in Maine. Of course Maine just elected a democrat to the governorship and the results of that are not yet fully known.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Only positive thing that the Zumwalt has done so far is to provide 5,000+ jobs in Maine. Bath Iron Works is thus the largest employer in Maine. Of course Maine just elected a democrat to the governorship and the results of that are not yet fully known.
    Maybe once the largest employer in the state but now they are fourth. Just barely ahead of LLBean, just a little behind Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Maybe once the largest employer in the state but now they are fourth. Just barely ahead of LLBean, just a little behind Walmart.
    bath iron works
    llbean
    walmart

and i always think of maine as a liberal new england state, but in reality they're more like the southern atlantic states of virginia and north carolina - frikking rednecks

Oh, yeah, get 30 miles from the coast and it’s all redneckistan...

The in-trade magazines (Marine Technology, Marine Log, etc.) used to be all a-flutter with gushing articles about the Zumwalt-class ships, touting their technology, their radical-but-game-changing form, etc. Then came articles about stability issues, survivability, cost overruns, etc. Now the subject seems to be avoided like the plague.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Oh, yeah, get 30 miles from the coast and it’s all redneckistan...
    You meant "get out of Portland & it's all Redneckistan" right?

Many folks in VT consider Burlington to be a "nice place to visit on the VT west coast".
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Maybe they can be repurposed as Russian oligarchs private yachts?

^ They do look similar to those modern, private yachts - at least, I think so. I am biased in favor of the look of the Charles F Adams class, myself.....

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    I am biased in favor of the look of the Charles F Adams class, myself.....
    fletcher class, low freeboard, flush deck, two stacks, bristling with guns

Here's the Burke class DDG-82

5" gun forward. 96 missile cells. Side-mounted torpedos (6) and .50 caliber guns (6). One forward automated 1" sea-wiz (R2D2) 'gatling' gun.

Last edited by David G; 05-12-2019 at 10:06 AM.

It looks like they were on approach for Underway Replenishment / refueling (?)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    It looks like they were on approach for Underway Replenishment / refueling (?)
    Dunno... it's a stock image. But that'd be my guess also - ready for some sprucing up.

Burkes cruise right by my home periodically. Great looking ships. Calling them a 'destroyer' though is absurd; they are as big as WWIi cruisers and more powerful than an old battleship considering the oomph they can deliver downrange.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Here's the Burke class DDG-82

5" gun forward. 96 missile cells. Side-mounted torpedos (6) and .50 caliber guns (6). One forward automated 1" sea-wiz (R2D2) 'gatling' gun.

This is timely. My daughter and I passed by one of these on Thursday at Naval Station Everett. We were trying to figure out about the forward gun. I guessed 4 inches, not too bad a guess
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post

Andy

But I cannot be held responsible for my future actions if I am compelled any longer to share my cell with Professor Norden, late Chief of the Research Staff of my armed forces.

one wonders if this will ever be said of iDJT or Turtle McNurtle..