Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34
Results 106 to 135 of 135

Thread: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

  1. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    They contacted him. They spoke with him. And they have not reversed their lifetime ban.

    It does not matter if he is an avowed white supremacist. What matters is if he was purposefully and pointedly using a white supremacist hand sign.


    they contacted him to tell him he was banned from the park. i doubt they bothered to ask him any background info. and you cannot positively conclude he was making a WP sign. you just can't man. you can think that's what he's doing, but you don't know.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Port of Lorain,Ohio
    Posts
    16,872

    Lightbulb Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    29,662

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Sweet Mother of God reds are Stupid.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

    "My generation will not allow this to continue!"

    Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cows
    Posts
    222

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    they contacted him to tell him he was banned from the park. i doubt they bothered to ask him any background info. and you cannot positively conclude he was making a WP sign. you just can't man. you can think that's what he's doing, but you don't know.

    You are starting to make a concise argument, grant you that, after 25 some posts.

    You can now dispense with your posts of stock images of black men giving the OK sign, your third base sign argument, your argument that the WP sign started out as a joke, etc.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Co
    Posts
    7,869

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign



    Winning.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues



  6. #111
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    4,072

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    are we done yet?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    17,061

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Nothing is ever 'done' in The Bilge.... <grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    28,633

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    are we done yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Nothing is ever 'done' in The Bilge.... <grin>
    These 2 cover my thoughts on this perfectly!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    26,893

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    If you post a picture of a known white racist making the sign, I'm all with ya, it a white power sign.

    If you post a picture of person of unknown racist bent making a sign, and claim it racist, I'm not with ya.

    Pretty simple. Innocent until proven guilty. Especially since the widely popular game has much more history.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    23,205

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    If you post a picture of a known white racist making the sign, I'm all with ya, it a white power sign.

    If you post a picture of person of unknown racist bent making a sign, and claim it racist, I'm not with ya.

    Pretty simple. Innocent until proven guilty. Especially since the widely popular game has much more history.
    Looks like he was proven guilty by a jury of his peers.
    Simple enough for ya?

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    26,893

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Looks like he was proven guilty by a jury of his peers.
    Simple enough for ya?
    He was? There was a jury? A trial?

    Because if he was found guilty in a trial with a jury of his peers, I'd have to agree he was making a white power sign. But I see no mention of your facts in the article posted in the OP.

    Do you stand by your 'facts', that there was jury of his peers in a trial and he was found guilty?
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cows
    Posts
    222

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    ^
    1. He was either giving a WP sign, probably to be provocative and not because he is an avowed white supremacist, or he was playing the circle game.

    2. The Cubs management banned him for life, and contacted him.

    3. We have heard not a peep from him, or from the Cubs.

    4. The Cubs management has thus far not seen the need to elaborate that it wasn't a white power sign.

    5. The fan has thus far not seen the need to elaborate that it wasn't a white power sign.

    6. The white power sign has been seen both right-side up and upside down (https://www.al.com/news/2018/07/jasp...ended_for.html)

    7. He held the sign behind a black commentator.

    8. The comments on this thread are along party lines, those that voted for Trump and those that voted against him.

    9. The comments on this thread are along party lines, those that will vote for Trump again, despite his coddling of white supremacists.

    Re number nine: Why is that?
    bccphalarope(dot)com

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    3,463

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    I've never seen a person use that sign to say 'OK' with the fingers on the lower side (palm facing up).
    The way that person used it is almost definitely not to say 'OK'.

    It's an ambiguous gesture, people use it to emphasise a point in debate for example. It is a sign language symbol too........

    auslan.JPG
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    4,072

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    He was? There was a jury? A trial?

    Because if he was found guilty in a trial with a jury of his peers, I'd have to agree he was making a white power sign. But I see no mention of your facts in the article posted in the OP.

    Do you stand by your 'facts', that there was jury of his peers in a trial and he was found guilty?
    The beauty of being an ass in a private establishment.. they can kick you out and ask that you not return. Wrigley Field, your library, or the corner gas station.. they do not need a reason, they just don't have to like you or what you did.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,132

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    and he said he was a white supremacist?
    Dingleberries gotta dingle.

    You appear to not be an exception.

    Try thinking about context and use. This is in India:



    This isn't:



    Take a stab and form an opinion.

    The douche in the OP is so obviously making the white power symbol, the fact you're even arguing that he might not be tells me that you may well be as much of a dingleberry as he is a racist.

    Now, plenty of Indians still use the swastika, but they ain't Nazis.

    I may be happy, but I'm not 'gay.'

    When King Henry the 8th dissolved the monasteries he 'slighted' them. If someone is slighted today, they aren't being murdered and their house almost completely demolished. Rather they've just been insulted and the only injury is to their mood.

    Are you with me here Alan? Or are you still in Dingleland?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  16. #121
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    4,072

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Dingleberries gotta dingle.

    You appear to not be an exception.

    Try thinking about context and use. This is in India:


    The Swastika, is derived from Sanskrit "Swasti" and basically means good luck, good fortune, good health, and success depending on use. Many old Japanese maps use it to mark auspicious places.

    So yes, in context it is actually a positive symbol.. all it took was a dark moment in our history to ruin thousands of years of positive usage.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  17. #122
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    23,205

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    He was? There was a jury? A trial?

    Because if he was found guilty in a trial with a jury of his peers, I'd have to agree he was making a white power sign. But I see no mention of your facts in the article posted in the OP.

    Do you stand by your 'facts', that there was jury of his peers in a trial and he was found guilty?
    Trial?
    Did I say that?

  18. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    27,759

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    The apologists should be ashamed of themselves. But no, they are shameless.

    As for "the circle game," that ain't how the game is played.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue






  19. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    27,434

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Here ya go, Brian!

    Rattling the teacups.

  20. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    26,893

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Trial?
    Did I say that?
    I accept the backpedalling of your claim that a jury of his peers found him guilty.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

  21. #126
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Too far inland.
    Posts
    9,712

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    ......

    9. The comments on this thread are along party lines, those that will vote for Trump again, despite his coddling of white supremacists.

    Re number nine: Why is that?
    I'm curious about this, but really I wish we could leave trump out of it. We should have an allegory of Godwin's Law for trump. No discussion in which his name is invoked ever goes anywhere.

    Back on the WP thing.... the tolerance of it is curious to me. This doesn't seem like a thing that has much grey-area, you either renounce WP or you support it. Tolerance is support, in my view.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

  22. #127
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    4,072

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    I do not understand "white power" either.. but then I was brought up to see everyone as equals. Other than a few minor exterior differences, we are all more alike than we are different. The fact that we can all interbreed with each other means we are all the same species. If a Siberian huskey can accept a german shepard or a Chihuahua in it's pack.. why can't we accept somebody with a different skin tone?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  23. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    ^
    1. He was either giving a WP sign, probably to be provocative and not because he is an avowed white supremacist, or he was playing the circle game.

    2. The Cubs management banned him for life, and contacted him.

    3. We have heard not a peep from him, or from the Cubs.

    4. The Cubs management has thus far not seen the need to elaborate that it wasn't a white power sign.

    5. The fan has thus far not seen the need to elaborate that it wasn't a white power sign.

    6. The white power sign has been seen both right-side up and upside down (https://www.al.com/news/2018/07/jasp...ended_for.html)

    7. He held the sign behind a black commentator.

    8. The comments on this thread are along party lines, those that voted for Trump and those that voted against him.

    9. The comments on this thread are along party lines, those that will vote for Trump again, despite his coddling of white supremacists.

    Re number nine: Why is that?
    #2 and #4. The Cubs already had a public relations issue with Addison Russell scheduled to return from his suspension for domestic violence. They couldn't afford to appear to be soft on domestic violence and racism. They were going to ban the guy no matter what his intent was.

    #7. He took the opportunity when it was presented to him.

    #8. Bilge liberals are obsessed with racism and often see it when it doesn't exist.

  24. #129
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cows
    Posts
    222

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    #2 and #4. The Cubs already had a public relations issue with Addison Russell scheduled to return from his suspension for domestic violence. They couldn't afford to appear to be soft on domestic violence and racism. They were going to ban the guy no matter what his intent was.

    To use Alan and Brian's argument, you don't know this to be true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    #7. He took the opportunity when it was presented to him.
    To use Alan and Brian's argument, you don't know this to be true. What's more, the opportunity to do what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    #8. Bilge liberals are obsessed with racism and often see it when it doesn't exist.
    Bilge conservatives are obsessed with racism and often refuse to see it when it exists.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

  25. #130
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    23,205

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Since he walks like a racist and talks like a racist …

    Let’s consider the evidence.
    He was sued for systematically refusing to rent to African Americans and settled out of court.
    He demanded the death penalty for five black and Hispanic kids charged in the notorious Central Park jogger rape case — and refuses to recant to this day, though the young men were long ago exonerated and set free.
    He had a disdain for African Americans so pronounced that, according to an employee at one of his casinos, supervisors would remove black workers from the floor and ensconce them in a back room whenever he came through.
    He was once quoted as saying of a black accountant: “Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day. I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.”
    He retweeted racist and anti-Semitic insults from Nazi sympathizers, called Mexican immigrants “rapists” and said a judge was unfit to preside over a case because of his Mexican heritage.
    He led the inane “birther” movement that claimed President Obama was born in Kenya.
    He suggested moral equivalence between white supremacists and those who oppose them.
    He is embraced by bigots, who recognize him as one of their own. Said former Klan leader David Duke, “We are determined to take our country back. … That’s what we believe in. That’s why we voted for Donald Trump …”
    https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/...173628156.html

  26. #131
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,132

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    #8. Bilge liberals are obsessed with racism and often see it when it doesn't exist.
    Considering the mountain ranges of corpses, and the intergenerational inequity produced by racism in the USA (and elsewhere including Australia), the idea that racism isn't real, and isn't a threat to democracy and freedom is to accept it in to your life.

    If you skip over the opportunity to denounce it, then you are complicit in allowing its expansion and normalisation again. Selma wasn't that long ago. And where do RWWs like Dylan Roof garner their evil from?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  27. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    32,021

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by duncan gibbs View Post
    considering the mountain ranges of corpses, and the intergenerational inequity produced by racism in the usa (and elsewhere including australia), the idea that racism isn't real, and isn't a threat to democracy and freedom is to accept it in to your life.

    If you skip over the opportunity to denounce it, then you are complicit in allowing its expansion and normalisation again. Selma wasn't that long ago. And where do rwws like dylan roof garner their evil from?
    ^^^^^ this ^^^^
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  28. #133
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    32,021

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    I wonder if this should go here ?

    'Charlottesville wouldn't have happened without Trump': Neo-Nazi leader Richard Spencer credits the 'nationalist' president with boosting the public presence of the alt-right'


    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...UuZSV_Vo5-DeR0
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  29. #134
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Too far inland.
    Posts
    9,712

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Surely the credit should be shared with his enablers as well.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

  30. #135
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    23,205

    Default Re: Trump America - Cubs fan is banned for life after flashing "white power" sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Surely the credit should be shared with his enablers as well.
    With the same affection I feel for pedophiles, I give them enough credit to automatically put them on the ignore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •