Thread: Help with identifying this mystery boat.

Default Help with identifying this mystery boat.

Mystery Solvd
    She’s a 24’ Motor Launch built by Henry. B. Nevins, Inc
    City Islans, New York in 1920
    Hull #187

6162A20A-D696-4047-9C58-5766738BEF00.jpg7CC7C916-CDED-4941-B5AA-3531B9973B0A.jpg70A43A33-8431-4114-ADF4-0E0E037D26C4.jpg822F6E96-352C-4D78-BD43-96F51796E656.jpg

Greetings everyone,
    I’m hoping someone will be able to help me identify the builder of this vintage double ended launch. She had a unique keel and prop configuration and a larger that life rudder. I’ve emailed several friends and some have suggested it my be a Navy training boat or some sort of lifeboat/tender for a larger vessel. Any thought or comments would be most appreciated.

Im hoping these photos are attached properly, and can be viewed, as this is my first posting.

Thanks
    Sonny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Poszich; 05-15-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Default Re: Help with identifying this mystery boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Poszich View Post
    Greetings everyone,
    I’m hoping someone will be able to help me identify the builder of this vintage double ended launch. She had a unique keel and prop configuration and a larger that life rudder. I’ve emailed several friends and some have suggested it my be a Navy training boat or some sort of lifeboat/tender for a larger vessel. Any thought or comments would be most appreciated.

Im hoping these photos are attached properly, and can be viewed, as this is my first posting.

Thanks
    Sonny

Attachment unavailabl;e.jpg

Did you look at the FAQ page?

P.S. Welcome to the forum
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks for the help, FAQ section helped me post my photos, that photo icon is difficult to make out it’s so small.

Are there any strong points for lifting her attached to the keel on the inside? If not then she was not a larger ships boat.
    It looks as though she may have been a sailing or pulling boat converted to motor by the addition of that skeg/keel and prop shaft.
    Photos of the internals and gunwale would be really helpful.

I’ll add photos of the aft and forward cockpits. They are separated by the engine house. She measures 24-ft long and has a 6-ft beam. I haven’t actually see this boat first hand, but I’m interested in restoring it, provided I can come up with some sort of history on her journey to today. I’ll be making a trip to see her soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Poszich View Post
    I’ll add photos of the aft and forward cockpits. They are separated by the engine house. She measures 24-ft long and has a 6-ft beam. I haven’t actually see this boat first hand, but I’m interested in restoring it, provided I can come up with some sort of history on her journey to today. I’ll be making a trip to see her soon.
    When you are trying to read the history of an old boat you need to look critically at what is there. Fay marks and bolt holes left from when structure was removed and discarded. Sawn off bits of structure left in when clearing away for re purposing the hull. Redundant mast steps, thwart knees. Anything that looks like a change from the original, additions, subtractions.

I’m not hung up on a accurate historic restoration so much, as I would like to restore the hull and exterior, and maybe rebuild the interior for mothering around the various marinas and seaside restaurants. A compact mini galley would be nice to have. It has that I’m a relic from the past, still going strong, so keep up if you can look about it. I have a Yanmar 3GM-30-F Diesel engine and drivetrain that just sitting around waiting for something like this to come along. I also have access to my neighbors diesel sawmill and I have several thousand trees of several species to mill for free. My shop is outfitted with eleven mid century cast iron relics from the past, and I’m eager to begin a new project. So it looks like a road trip with my ice pick in hand to determine just how much of this old girl is salvageable. I appreciate your comments, hopefully someone somewhere here on earth has a lead as to who may have been the builder.

Regards
    Sonny

Pretty hull!

Is that a bowsprit in the first photo?

Try the guys at Mystic Seaport. Someone there will recognise her, surely.

Regards,
    John.

Look for a plate/incriptions at the inside of the stern. Could be on the underside of the deck or anywhere...

Aquinian: a tiller?

/Mats

Elected Swedish Yourneyman of the Year 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Pretty hull!

Is that a bowsprit in the first photo?

Try the guys at Mystic Seaport. Someone there will recognise her, surely.

Regards,
    John.
    Thank
    Iíll be sure to contact the good folks at Mystic Seaport, and the first photo is the bow. As always, Iím grateful for your road.

Regards
    Sonny

Ill be making a trip to inspect this boat soon, I’ll be sure to look at every visible square inch. I appreciate your comment relating to the underside of the deck, I would have most likely not looked there. I’m hopeful that possibly a casting mark might lead to a vendor with information. At any rate, thanks for commenting, I’m determined to discover the origin of this boat one way or the other.

Regards
    Sonny

Thanks John
    The first photo is of the bow, and I’ll be sure to contact the good folks at Mystic Seaport.

Regards,
    Sonny

My first impression is also of a standard navy whaleboat that someone added a keel / skeg to and an inboard.

Does it look like the skeg/keel was added?

A bit wonkey with the strut so far forward of the prop. There really should not be so much unsupported prop shaft.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nedL; 05-10-2019 at 01:27 PM.

I second the converted whale boat.

Thanks for the photos, you may very well be correct in you impression. I will be makiang a road trip to actually inspect the boat soon. I appreciate your remarks and will look carefully to see if the prop, Siegel and keel have been added. It’s comments like yours that will help me identify what we have here. I’m mists grateful.

Regards,
    Sonny

If not a ship's boat, (which she probably is) then possibly a Macinaw boat.
    -Dave

A second opinion from Navydog is reassuring and if that in fact is the case, it wouldn’t bother me in 5he least, as I’m a 45-year veteran of sailing and sailing is my true love in life.

Thabks
    Navydog

Very nice shape as far as I can see....... if you only would remove that skeg and make a better motor installation.......
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Thanks Heimlaga
    The thing is dripping with maratime history and deserves a second chance at life somewhere on the Sea. I’m hoping to give it that second chance.

Regards,
    Sonny

Thanks Dave
    Your Macinaw boat theory certainly opens up expanded possibilities as to this boats origin. I’m grateful for you comment, and will do some research into the whole Mackinaw boat history.

Regards,
    Sonny

I'm thinking probably not a Mackinaw boat. The lines are noticeably different. A typical Mackinaw boat that I have seen pictures of has a much deeper forefoot, hollow sections fore and aft, much "bigger" and fuller shapes, and just a different looking hull.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Last edited by nedL; 05-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Mackinaw boats are typically very full in the bow and finer in the stern. It's a little hard to tell from the photos you posted, but your boat does not appear as full up forward as I would expect in a Mackinaw boat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boats built for the Navy/ Coast Guard often have custom hardware so have a look for that. Also you didn't give a location for the boat; and get what you can for history. That prop shaft, support system is pretty typical of early power boats, steam launches and the like. You said that the engine was under a deck between cockpits. Have a look at the engine beds to see if they were original or added. Usually easy to spot. If this was a converted gov't "whaler" you should find evidence of mast steps, oarlock socket supports, however those boats were not decked.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

There were a lot of navy life boats and whale boats around that were converted in one way or another. This one looks to me like an amateur project (as most were) due to the skeg, shaft, prop configuration. I'd like to see the rudder installed to see how it was configured.

When I lived in Seal Harbor (1980) there was a old lifeboat converted to a steam launch that sat in the harbor parking lot. It was a rough old thing that I never did see in the water. The owner was an older gent in his 80's that was a true curmudgeon.

If this boat is a Navy whaleboat, it's plans may be available in Standard designs for boats of the United States Navy. Specifications, schedule of material, weights and cost, published by the Government Printing Office in 1900. It's a huge (34x39 cm) book with plans for all the Navy's boats. Even though your boat was probably built well after 1900, it could very likely be to a plan in that book.

A really neat book. It has offsets, construction drawings, and bills of material and labor with costs for every boat. Some big steam launches, some rowing boats, some life rafts known as "balsas" with floats made of staves like long barrels.

I don't know where in WV you are, but there's a copy in the Virginia Tech library in Blacksburg.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)