Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Owl

Default Baby Owl

I'm not sure what we've got here... the girls in the bar were all buzzing around when I got back from a trip to the tailor.... Ian come... come...

So, in front of the fridge......

He's (or she) is a small fella - those are 12" tiles. I'm a bit worried that he's in shock, but we - well I am having a go at saving him. The Thais would have swept him out with a broom, but I've got him loosely wrapped in a rag and have managed to get some fluids into him. A little bit of water via a syringe (hey, I've got them for brake fluid changes)... then a little bit of melted icecream. He doesn't seem able to deal with chopped up meat.

I chose my dinner carefully... English stew and dumplings, given I was having trouble getting the cook to understand pureed meat. I've kept the broth for him and I'm starting to make some progress, athough he's still got his eyes closed. If he makes it through the night, we've got a chance....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Default Re: Baby Owl

Do you have a vet in the area who could take a look? He does look like an interesting little fella.

He could be the pub's mascot Ian.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Pet+owl

WHO

Ian, do your best. A little fella needs a Bigfella. Could have a avian disease with no cure. If the little bugger survives you may have a mascot. Keep us posted.
    Tom from Rubicon

Poor little thing. How’s he doing?
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Looks frazzled.
    Nosce te ipsum

He made it through the night... looks a bit less frazzled, but is sleeping now. He may have eaten some small pieces of meat I left for him in the box. I think he might be an Asian Barred Owlet. Small species.

The challenge is to find him food that has hair and bones. I know I could buy frozen baby rats back in Oz... but here, that's a challenge.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Set some mouse traps and cut mice up if needed?

Woo Hoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    He could be the pub's mascot Ian.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Pet+owl

Xanthorrea

When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    He made it through the night... looks a bit less frazzled, but is sleeping now. He may have eaten some small pieces of meat I left for him in the box. I think he might be an Asian Barred Owlet. Small species.

The challenge is to find him food that has hair and bones. I know I could buy frozen baby rats back in Oz... but here, that's a challenge.
    Good job.
    Nosce te ipsum

He or she is going to be your friend for life. Excellent.

I missed out on some crow chicks a few years ago. A friend drove up my lane and told me there was a nest fallen from a tree with three chicks roaming about the woods a bit dazed. I raced down to find them but they were gone. Maybe a cat or fox had them. A great shame as pet crows are very entertaining and seriously cool.

Good luck.

Bigfella
    Owls need mouse, fur bones meat and guts. They need the fur and bone to make a casting. cut a mouse into 6 or 8 pieces and feed the bits to him.
    Jim McGee

He's gone. Flew away. Was apparently an adult and must have been dazed. Good result.

Quote Originally Posted by JimM View Post
    Bigfella
    Owls need mouse, fur bones meat and guts. They need the fur and bone to make a casting. cut a mouse into 6 or 8 pieces and feed the bits to him.
    Ian’s bar menu does cater to a wide variety of clientele. I believe his chef does debone mice and rats - looks like a special order and the small local could not wait while being fed appetizers.

———-

Good on you, Ian. This kind act will provide you with good fortune for a long while. It does not go unnoticed.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

A shame its gone. Looks downey, so a fledgling. It would have a much better life at your pub than in the wild.

you keep that thing here in the US and you get arrested and fined. man, it'd be cool to have one for a pet though.

I hope y'all don't mind if I write some comments on keeping an owl or any other raptor. I can't address the laws where Big Fella is. Nor can I identify owls in other countries. If he was in the US, I would say he's an adult screech owl. The reason I say adult is the vertical striping of the feathers on his chest. Juvenile screeches have horizontal striping.

Since this owl is gone now, I would suspect he hit glass and was stunned. This happens all the time - head injuries. Again, I'll post photos of a hawk with a fascinating history.

Anyway ... I'm a licensed wildlife rehabber. I used to do education programs and my own bird was a great horned owl. (I'll post some photos) I can't tell you the number of times I've had someone say they want one too. Believe me, you really don't.

First, you must hold a federal license which isn't easy to get. There are certainly people who are willing to break the law to have a protected bird but it is a federal crime and one that's taken very seriously. Almost all birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and in some cases, the Lacey Act.

Then there are your own state's laws. Get the book from your state conservation agency.

Even if you're licensed, its really not easy to keep an owl (or hawk, falcon) healthy. They have a very specialized diet as well as housing needs. You can raise your own mice but that's one huge gawd-awful mess. If you buy mice, consider you'll need between 6 and 12. Every single day. My source costs $.75 each. Do the math.

They have certain cage requirements. The materials, substrate, size and so on. You could put a roof on your house using nothing but bird poop so buy the best power washer on the market. You'll need other special equipment.

Don't skimp on your raptor gloves. You wanna see my scars? Seriously. My hands are trashed. I've had several surgeries and I will always have problems.

You must work with the bird every single day. They're wild. They won't "love" you or sit on your lap while you read. You must fit yourself to them, not the other way around.

You'll need to find a vet who is ready and able to take on a patient as difficult as an owl.

There's a lot more to this but none of it means you cannot work with raptors, songbirds, mammals and reptiles. I'm licensed for all and I am grateful for the volunteers who work tirelessly for the animals. You can volunteer for a licensed rehabber and most do not require more hours than are convenient for you. You find one near you by calling your conservation agency, animal control or humane society. You can also hunt on line.

The Wildlife Rehabilitation Information Directory
    National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
    https://wildliferehabber.com/wildlife-agency-listing

Well crud. I tried posting four photos (no text) but got the error message saying the text is too long (62888) and to shorten to 10000 characters.

Anyone know how I can post the pics? Thanks.

when I was a babe, we had an owl. My father was working at a boatyard doing engine maintenance and found a baby barn owl on the ground. We raised him to be a Fledgling when one of my uncles decided he needed to learn how to fly.. with all the unfortunate results that followed. The owl did not survive the training.

While it was very loving and trusting of my Father, like Mrs. Shang above, our vet wound up with some nasty scars when he wanted to hold it during an examination.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I would have my owl on the glove and sometimes he would lean against me and nod off.

One time, long education program at a career day in a high school gym. Even though they're surprisingly light, my arm would get tired and I put him in a cage. Big mistake. He had never been in a cage before and he threw a fit. I suspect he was scared and as soon as I got him out of the cage, he calmed down.

I would do outside fairs and the one thing he was terrified of was dogs. People would see this owl on my arm and would rush right over to me. If they had a dog, I would immediately turned my back on the dog and put my hand over Luna's face. Then I would ask the person to take the dog away.

He wasn't too crazy about kids either but most of the education programs I did were for kids in their classrooms. Luna had this way of pulling back, looking down his nose (beak) and staring down the kids.

I took him everywhere - at a library he decided he didn't want to stay on my glove, took off and landed at the top of a shelf if books. Would refused to be coaxed down and I had to climb up after him. He hopped right only the glove and stayed there for the rest of the presentation.

I could write for hours about him and feel so incredibly fortunate to have had him.

I've trained quite a few owls and hawks to be education or ambassador animals but my relationship with my gho was special. He lived a much longer life than he would have in the wild but he's gone now.

BTW, as mentioned above, mice is the preferred menu item.

I've have owls brought in with a crop full of milk and bread and yet they're starving.

If you should find a bird or mammal in need, food is the last thing you want to do. First, warm the animal, second give them a quiet place where they can calm down and possibly recover from hitting a window or other injuries, third, small amounts of water over a long period of time. Last on the list is food but you must feed the correct food for that particular animal.

If yoou find a baby bird, naked, no feathers, he will die without help. If possible, put him back in the nest. Birds cannot smell (except vultures) and the adults will go right back to shoving food in their gaping beaks. That's what the adult is hard wired to do and the reason why some species actually lay their eggs in the nest of a different species.

If you can't get to the nest, you can try nailing an old margarine container to the tree directly over your head when you found the bird. Reason is, since they can't fly, its a pretty good bet that the nest is straight up from where you found him.

If you see a bird on the ground, feathers not quite right, some down showing, he's right where he belongs. The adult bird is nearby and if you back off, you might get to see the adult swoop down, feed the youngster and fly back up in the tree.

Obviously, we all want the animal to be safe from cats, dogs, cars etc but there's no such place.

Gotta go dentisting but will check back in case someone can tell me why my photos won't post.

Thanks for listening/reading all this.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Set some mouse traps and cut mice up if needed?
    Don't cut them up Jimmy give them the whole mouse. They will expel a caste off the parts they can't digest.

A healthy owl will, most likely, swallow the mouse whole.

An injured owl/raptor may need to be hand fed pieces. I used to snip them up with scissors. (the mouse ... not the owl) In some cases, I would skin and the mouse. If they're injured that badly, I might not include the head. Hopefully, the owl would recover enough to be able to handle all the parts. Then, hopefully, the entire mouse.

But, yes, its true that they expel fur, bones in the form of pellets.
    Last edited by Mrs Shang; 05-14-2019 at 10:43 AM.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Mrs Shang, I don't know why your photos aren't posting. Are they on your computer. If you want, you could email them to me and I could try to post them for you.

I took in two young ospreys once that someone had ummm, saved from its nest that had collapsed. Only did so because I was working on this species in Maine. Went to the head guy in Wildlife Law Enforcement (USF&WService) He said he could't take them so they were mine to deal with.

I was last in line, the people who umm rescued them fed they shucked oysters and clams. By the time I got them, they were starving and had a respiratory issue..quite common. Tried to save them, couldn't.

Bottom line, if this happens to you, take them to a licensed Wildlife habilitation as you may cause damage that can't be resolved or corrected.

i found a bird out of the nest once. put it back in the nest by the kitchen window. as i did that, the 2 baby birds still in the next made a weak attempt at flight. they made it just over the fence where they were mauled by the neighbor's dogs. went inside to watch through the window at how sweet the remainder of my good deed was turning out. well, turns out, it wasn't the same species as the doves inhabiting the nest. i then watched in horror over the next hour as the mother dove came back, saw the intruder, and pecked the intruder to death and threw it out on the ground.

i would have been better off running over the first bird with the mower.

Trying this ... If it works, I can post more. Will be back shortly to tell you what you're looking at.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Cailleac...=page_internal

Really bizarre that the Wildlife Law Enforcement would do that because its against federal law. He could not onlyb lose his job but actually serve jail time. He should have told you to take them to a rehabber and should have had the name and address. Or taken them himself.

Hard thing about rehabbing is just what you describe. Its an act of faith and you never know if your released animal survives.

I had a volunteer who really loved little cottontails, only wanted to bottle feed little bunnies and loved releasing them. So, one day, she took the soft and furry little bunnies out, coaxed them out of the box and then watched in horror as a rattlesnake nailed one of them. I never saw or heard from her again.

Some people just can't accept that just about every animal is both predator and prey. The rattlesnake serves just as an important roll and so does the cottontail.

What seems odd to me is that that same woman almost certainly had dead animal for dinner that night. People say they love animals but that's not true. We all have a comfort level. I've been vegetarian since the early 80s but most people know but choose to ignore that the dead animal on their plate suffered for months and even years. OTOH, the mouse, bunny etc are killed very quickly. And, on that third hand, many predators start eating long before their prey is dead.

But, humans have choices other animals do not.

The photos --
    The fledgling great horned owls are just as delightful as they look in the photos. Mom would bring back mouses, rats and tear them into pieces for the kiddies. So, teaching them to eat, they're given pieces of mouse. If you look at the pics, you can see that one of them wants to know if the other got better mouse parts than he did. You can see that one reaches out to pull his sib's plate of mouse parts away.

The red tailed hawk broke my heart. She had probably been hit by a car and her head injury was such that she simply did not know how to eat. She could not swallow so could not be given pieces. Instead, I put the mouses through a blender, added some electrolytes and, using the syringe, put it directly into the crop.

You don't have to speak hawk to know what she wanted to do to me. The photo of her, staring at me, fluffed up and looking so threatening says it all. Amazingly, she survived and eventually was released.

About the syringe feeding - Someone said it looked like I was trying to sneak up and grab her beak. Not true. No way could she be surprised. Its just that big raptors don't bite. Except for when they do.

The little owl in the OP - That little guy would bite. He is capable of putting you on your knees in pain. Big raptors use their talons and very seldom bite.

But, one day, holding a red tailed hawk against my front, I looked down and said, "you're not going to bite me, are you?" and that hawk took a perfectly V-shaped piece out of my lower lip.

Just when you think you know what to expect from wild life, they make a fool of you.

Great contributions Mrs. Shang. Your hubby has related some information on your rehab efforts before but this is special. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Added -
    Still no pics.
    Last edited by John of Phoenix; 05-14-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Shang View Post
    Really bizarre that the Wildlife Law Enforcement would do that because its against federal law. He could not onlyb lose his job but actually serve jail time. He should have told you to take them to a rehabber and should have had the name and address. Or taken them himself.
    Mrs Shang. A few things, I was working for the F&WS. Secondly, I was working on this particular species and I knew as much about them than anyone in the state. There are now a few rehab people now, very scattered and few between even now. I worked for Mr. X and just had an office in the Maine Capitol. No place for birds especially ospreys. It was a too up, him or me. He was also my pilot for my aerial work so again, he knew me. Sometimes rules in special circumstances need to be tweaked This was one. Also, the condition they were in initially, as I've said wasn't great. Even taking them to several vets, they didn't give them much chance.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Great contributions Mrs. Shang. Your hubby has related some information on your rehab efforts before but this is special. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Added -
    Still no pics.
    I married well.