Thread: Viola 14 Rig

Default Viola 14 Rig

I’m currently starting to build a Viola 14 sailing canoe, hopefully to use this summer, if I can get it out of the shop soon enough. After looking at all the videos, I’m leaning towards using the balance lug 6.3 sq meter rig, but can’t find any information about how to build the rig. The links on the Storer website for mast building for the Viola don’t seem to be finished yet, at least they won’t open up for me. I found a source for the recommended carbon windsurfer mast, so that’s done. But how does one turn the two halves into the yard and boom? Where are they cut in order to achieve the proper bend characteristics? How do the outhaul, “bleater”, and downhaul/Vang attach, and what hardware is recommended for them and the main sheet? I’ve been pouring over the articles about the lug rig on the Storer website and now get where the current thinking on lug performance is headed, but I would dearly love some information specific to this boat. Anybody out there who has this rig?

Peter

Default Re: Viola 14 Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Pshapiro View Post
    Iím currently starting to build a Viola 14 sailing canoe, hopefully to use this summer, if I can get it out of the shop soon enough. After looking at all the videos, Iím leaning towards using the balance lug 6.3 sq meter rig, but canít find any information about how to build the rig. The links on the Storer website for mast building for the Viola donít seem to be finished yet, at least they wonít open up for me. I found a source for the recommended carbon windsurfer mast, so thatís done. But how does one turn the two halves into the yard and boom? Where are they cut in order to achieve the proper bend characteristics? How do the outhaul, ďbleaterĒ, and downhaul/Vang attach, and what hardware is recommended for them and the main sheet? Iíve been pouring over the articles about the lug rig on the Storer website and now get where the current thinking on lug performance is headed, but I would dearly love some information specific to this boat. Anybody out there who has this rig?

Peter
    Yes, I have this rig (I am the prototype builder). Please note that there are not that many Viola 14 sailing canoes on the water yet, this being a new design. But the boat is catching on and the fleet is growing.

I will message you some information and photos later today. A rigging guide has been drafted for the fathead sails (still to be published) and I guess I will need to start doing the same for the lug rig now.

I like the lug rig a lot, especially for touring with the boat (camp sailing for example). Very versatile and easy to dump to clear a bridge or in case you need to go from sailing to paddling mode.

Joost

Hi Peter,

Working on it all.

For the simplest possible overview of the lug rig the Goose one is a good example for study to grasp the function.

It is very likely that you will want to make some things more complex.

For example an easily adjustable downhaul and outhaul are very nice to have. We don't generally fit them to the geese because of the cost and availability in the Philippines would create a second class setup.

At the moment we have equal racing and the boats are able to be set up for racing efficiency with very few purchased components.

But Viola is a sweet luxury so a bit more expense is rational.

Joost is doing his bit over the weekend. Can you please email me and I will supply the basic dimensions and specs of the spars which is available so you can see what is involved.

Best wishes
    Michael

OOPS forgot the link to show the principles of rigging on the 50 Oz Geese we have in the Philippines.

https://www.opengoose.com/tuning-and...ged-sailboats/

Is the Viola fathead sail for sale anywhere? I was interested in it for my outrigger but didn't see it on the website: https://reallysimplesails.com/really...now-available/ -- Wade

I think if you contact RSS directly, they will be able to quote you a price. It's not listed in their on-line catalogue but other threads about the Viola 14 have quoted prices from them. Not many of these boats finished and sailing yet, so the sails may be a semi-custom order.

Quote Originally Posted by Pshapiro View Post
    I think if you contact RSS directly, they will be able to quote you a price. It's not listed in their on-line catalogue but other threads about the Viola 14 have quoted prices from them. Not many of these boats finished and sailing yet, so the sails may be a semi-custom order.
    --- Thanks. --wt