Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Chernobyl'on HBO

Default 'Chernobyl'on HBO

Caught the first episode last night, HIGHLY impressed. Really captured what it must have been like. What impressed me was the almost demonic quality of the meltdown.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Default Re: 'Chernobyl'on HBO

I'm one of the few who doesn't get HBO, but I am looking forward to seeing it when it becomes available elsewhere.
    I'm amazed that there are still people who think of nuclear power as an option when so many years later we are still living with the consequences of Chernobyl and Fukushima, too. Not to mention the waste issue, which we are still going to solve within a few years.

What is the real cost per kwh of electricity generated by nuclear power when the cost of the cleanup is added in?
    Will

Great show. We should have our eyes open.

33CEA826-624E-4ED5-BA58-BB3019073AF1.jpeg
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

If you are watching Chernobyl don’t miss the Chernobyl Podcast. Peter Sagal talks with Craig Mazin, the producer/writer/creator about each episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Great show. We should have our eyes open.

33CEA826-624E-4ED5-BA58-BB3019073AF1.jpeg
    Some people can't live a moment without thinking about Trump. Some who support him, and more who don't. What a waste.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Spent the night once in the Grand Admiral Resort, just NorthWest of Kiev, at an airfield which was the homebase for the Antonov cargo planes...

screen-capture.jpg

Just gorgeous country. Unfortunately it was a job related trip. But I'd love to go back and do a quick(!) guided tour of the surrounding area.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Some people can't live a moment without thinking about Trump. Some who support him, and more who don't. What a waste.
    Some people can't resist talking about Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    So you don't meed a night light? as some of our folk do... Google Maralinga for a heads up.
    I had no idea. Very interesting.

Funny to come across this now. Working the night shift and my sgt has Chernobyl on the projector right now. We started tonight, on the 3rd episode already. We'll finish the 4th tonight and maybe the 5th once it's out next shift string. Learning a lot. What strikes me most is that I'm glad I don't live in Soviet Russia.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Wadsworth View Post
    I'm one of the few who doesn't get HBO, but I am looking forward to seeing it when it becomes available elsewhere.
    I'm amazed that there are still people who think of nuclear power as an option when so many years later we are still living with the consequences of Chernobyl and Fukushima, too. Not to mention the waste issue, which we are still going to solve within a few years.
    Fukushima was a 1970's GE designed reactor, on the verge of commencing the decommissioning process when the tsunami flooded all the standby generators supplying the coolant pumps.
    Chernobyl was a design that even the Russians agreed was a bit chit. You dont think that perhaps things have moved along a bit in the last 40+ years?

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Good point, Pete. Yes, I am sure the technology has improved.
    And, I have to admit, I haven't done much to read up on recent developments, and that I am quite biased against nuclear energy – and the short-sighted, corporate interests that dominate our choices.
    But I'm always up for a little enlightenment, so I'm ready for my first reading/research assignment. Have any suggestions? Not too technical, please!

Pete, the waste issue has still not been resolved. Meanwhile, Fukushima continues to ooze death, and Chernobyl will taken billions and decades to clean up.

Thanks, no.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

I'll take nuclear until fusion turns up, and renewables come of age...better than coal any day.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    I'll take nuclear until fusion turns up, and renewables come of age...better than coal any day.
    Ok, unless you lived in Pripyat in the 80’s. Or the next Pripyat.

Or any coal mining town for the last 20 years.

I've mentioned this before, although not recently.

In 1979 I was living in upstate New York, working at the State University of NY, Binghamton. One evening in March a friend telephoned to ask if I had heard about an accident at the nuclear reactor complex in Pensylvania. I called another faculty member--a fellow in the Science faculty who was studying radioactive materials. He said, "Yes, there's been a partial meltdown of one of the reactors at Three Mile Island and a leak of radioactive material has occurred."

I asked if there was anything we should do about it.

"No," he said, "The radioactive cloud passed over us about an hour ago...you may be dead already."

Last edited by Shang; 06-03-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Some people can't resist talking about Trump.
    Most of this forum. The precise reason you don't see me here much any more. Sick of it.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Good point, Pete. Yes, I am sure the technology has improved.
    And, I have to admit, I haven't done much to read up on recent developments, and that I am quite biased against nuclear energy – and the short-sighted, corporate interests that dominate our choices.
    But I'm always up for a little enlightenment, so I'm ready for my first reading/research assignment. Have any suggestions? Not too technical, please!
    This is a good starting point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP1000
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I do not get HBO, but looking forward to watching this at some point. I think to keep in mind, they are apparently off on a lot of the facts, the NY Times article

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/02/a...nobyl-hbo.html

points out that we cannot make too many judgements about nuclear power based on this miniseries. I do not remember if I have recommended this book before:

https://www.amazon.com/Chernobyl-His...-1-spons&psc=1

It was one of my top 2 or 3 books that I read in 2018, really, really good. I highly recommend it.

^ It's an extended movie, fer crissakes. Stuff gets condensed, emphasized, etc. to tell a gripping story, and gripping it was. The basics are, and were, valid.

I just finished all five episodes. I still think it will garner a boatful of Emmy nominations.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Jared Harris, with roles in Mad Men and Chernobyl, is driven to suicide in each. Poor guy can't win for losing.

This Atlantic magazine article and video is enlightening about US veterans exposed to nuclear test blasts: https://www.theatlantic.com/video/in...omic-soldiers/

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    ^ It's an extended movie, fer crissakes. Stuff gets condensed, emphasized, etc. to tell a gripping story, and gripping it was. The basics are, and were, valid.
    There is an exhaustive five part 'Chernobyl Podcast' hosted by Peter Sagal that discusses the facts of the Chernobyl and how they were presented, or bent, to create the HBO miniseries. The biggest change from reality was the creation of the character Ulana Khomyuk. This was done to homologate the personalities and characters of dozens of scientists who assisted Legasov.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I watch The Ushanka Show frequently.

He has some interesting points to make about the mini series.
    Will

I was looking for something light-hearted; I got Chernobyl. *sigh*
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Most of this forum. The precise reason you don't see me here much any more. Sick of it.
    Your party /?you support a world-class d!ck; you/they get called on it. Could be part of it.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Some people can't live a moment without thinking about Trump.... What a waste.
    Including Trump himself

The HBO Now gift cards are nice. You can watch all the GOT, Deadwood, and I think this one for a month with no auto renewal worries.

Watching it now. It released the equivalent in radiation of a Hiroshima bomb every hour...think about that.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Watching it now. It released the equivalent in radiation of a Hiroshima bomb every hour...think about that.
    More pap. This, from Forbes:

In reality, Chernobyl proves why nuclear is the safest way to make electricity. In the worst nuclear power accidents, relatively small amounts of particulate matter escape, harming only a handful of people.

During the rest of the time, nuclear plants are reducing exposure to air pollution, by replacing fossil fuels and biomass. It’s for this reason that nuclear energy has saved nearly two million lives to date.

If there is a silver lining to “Chernobyl” and pseudoscientific dreck like MIT professor Kate Brown’s book, Manual for Survival, it’s come in the form of newly outspoken radiation scientists and honest journalists like Higgenbotham.

“Nuclear power plants emit no carbon dioxide and have been statistically safer than every competing energy industry,” he writes, “including wind turbines.”

As for our exaggerated fears of nuclear weapons, the last 74 years have been the most peacefulof the last 700. As the bomb has spread, deaths from wars and battles have declined by 95%.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    More pap. This, from Forbes:

In reality, Chernobyl proves why nuclear is the safest way to make electricity. In the worst nuclear power accidents, relatively small amounts of particulate matter escape, harming only a handful of people.

During the rest of the time, nuclear plants are reducing exposure to air pollution, by replacing fossil fuels and biomass. It’s for this reason that nuclear energy has saved nearly two million lives to date.

If there is a silver lining to “Chernobyl” and pseudoscientific dreck like MIT professor Kate Brown’s book, Manual for Survival, it’s come in the form of newly outspoken radiation scientists and honest journalists like Higgenbotham.

“Nuclear power plants emit no carbon dioxide and have been statistically safer than every competing energy industry,” he writes, “including wind turbines.”

As for our exaggerated fears of nuclear weapons, the last 74 years have been the most peacefulof the last 700. As the bomb has spread, deaths from wars and battles have declined by 95%.
    That is the sort of response I would expect from you.
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...bo-true-story/
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

And the sun gives the earth enough radiation in an hour to power the entire planet for a year

That is the sort of response I would expect from you.
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...bo-true-story/
    So that source says 400 times the Hiroshima bomb radiation, whilst your first claim was the same amount as Hiroshimae EVERY HOUR.

BTW, 400 hours... that's a tad over two weeks. Your bullsh!t detector didn't even quiver?

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    And the sun gives the earth enough radiation in an hour to power the entire planet for a year
    And you are trying to say what?
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.