Thread: I hate changing clothes

Default I hate changing clothes

Maybe I'm the only one with this problem. I get up early, shower, put on (relatively) clean jeans and clean shirt to go to the morning coffee round table at the neighborhood coffee shop. After coffee I want to work in the shop or work on the boat, but not in my clean clothes. So, change clothes. Then she says, "Where are we going to lunch?", so, change clothes again. Back from lunch, I want to do more dirty chores, change clothes again. What am I doing wrong here? Should I wear greasy smelly work clothes to coffee and lunch? Or wear clean clothes to grease my windlass or put epoxy and paint on the boat? I've tried coveralls, more damn nuisance than changing clothes, besides, battery acid, paint, epoxy, grease, etc. will find a way thru them.

Default Re: I hate changing clothes

Your problem is that you have a life. If you ditch the wife and friends, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Your problem is that you have a life. If you ditch the wife and friends, you'll be fine.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Half the year I’m hardly dressed , the other half I hardly care.
    My bride has given up, Jan knows she is calling in a big one by asking me to change a shirt ... or put on a pant.

By the way, I can't get my wife out of the house to have coffee with me, or lunch, or dinner, or food shopping,... It's a long story and I don't fully understand it myself.

If it were me, I'd view every change of clothes as a precursor to a good experience. Have fun, man!

I think I need more velcro.

Have servants do the dirty work....<

Morning Suit until 6 pm, then evening clothes for dinner, smoking jacket over them for brandy and cigars after the repast
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Maybe you need to restructure your day: clean in the am, grubby in the pm.

absolutely agree.
    I'm just back from a "vacation", and after the 2nd day of said vacation my response to every suggested next-thing was entirely determined by whether or not I would need to change what I was wearing.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Coveralls. Dress neat to please SWMBO and put on coveralls for chores, boat work, etc.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Or... my approach. I wear work clothes that allow me to also meet a client. A shop apron most times. A larger apron, or tyvek suit, or coveralls for really grubby stuff. I don't change when I get home. Unless we're going out for something social.

I have loose overalls that I use for working around the house, the garden and the boat. Easy to slip on and off. I have used coveralls, but find them a pain to don and doff
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    By the way, I can't get my wife out of the house to have coffee with me, or lunch, or dinner, or food shopping,... It's a long story and I don't fully understand it myself.

If it were me, I'd view every change of clothes as a precursor to a good experience. Have fun, man!
    I started this thread somewhat frivolously, but you make a good point. At my age I’m pretty damn lucky to have a lifestyle that allows me to do these things. Two minutes to change clothes is a pretty tiny nuisance if that’s all I have to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one with this problem. I get up early, shower, put on (relatively) clean jeans and clean shirt to go to the morning coffee round table at the neighborhood coffee shop. After coffee I want to work in the shop or work on the boat, but not in my clean clothes. So, change clothes. Then she says, "Where are we going to lunch?", so, change clothes again. Back from lunch, I want to do more dirty chores, change clothes again. What am I doing wrong here? Should I wear greasy smelly work clothes to coffee and lunch? Or wear clean clothes to grease my windlass or put epoxy and paint on the boat? I've tried coveralls, more damn nuisance than changing clothes, besides, battery acid, paint, epoxy, grease, etc. will find a way thru them.
    Eat at home, drink tea at home, dont change clothes.

John Welsford.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Of course it's a first world problem - but it's still a problem for people living in the first world.

We've kinda compromised (I say kinda because exceptions prove the rule) - but I wear work clothes during the day - which may or may not start off completely clean, then just before cocktail time, I (shower &) change. Unless I'm going to work on house stuff, where all I have to do is say "I'll be working on _____ [fill in blank with something that will make her happy to have done] before dinner". Problem with that is that I have to actually go work before dinner...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green