Thread: The Forum Makes a Connection

Default The Forum Makes a Connection

Out at a dinner last night, my wife pointed out one of her acquaintances who wanted to talk to me. That woman told me that her cousin's father in law built my boat. Wandering Star was built in the '60s in Florida by Nelson Whitesell. When I buy a boat, I always try to learn some of it's history. I knew Whitesell built her, it was on the document. I also knew he built shrimpers and other boats, but he was dead and the yard was closed by the time I bought her. I did manage to follow a trail online to find and contact the designer, WD Knott. How did we get to last night? The cousin did a search online and found this forum, which led her to reach out to LI and ask her cousin, our friend, "This boat is in your area, have you seen it?" The reply was affirmative, she knows the owners. She said she'd send pictures of the construction. I said I'd send pictures of her sailing. A small world/internet makes a positive connection story.

Default Re: The Forum Makes a Connection

Perhaps it's not the internet but the truth of Vonnegut's observation:

There are only a thousand people in the world. The rest is done with mirrors.

Anyway, very cool connection.

The mirrors have multiplied at an alarming rate in recent decades.

Is WD Knott William Daniel Knott? I remember him as a surveyor and designer on Cape Cod. He worked at Chester Crosby's boatyard and on fair weather days we'd hear him going to and from work past our house in his old woody. He'd wave to us kids: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...-knott-7361325

Which of his boats do you have? His ARIES schooner was near us in a state of disrepair in the back of a DIY boatyard for years. I could never find out who owned her and then once when I drove past she was gone.

Never mind John. I found a post from 2011 in which you described your boat, etc.

Chester-A.-Crosby-Sons_Aries-Unrigged-at-the-Dock.jpgChester-A.-Crosby-Sons_Aries-Under-Way.jpg
    Last edited by rbgarr; 05-05-2019 at 10:03 AM.

If the "F" word was eliminated, Vonnegut would have nothing to write.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Is WD Knott William Daniel Knott? I remember him as a surveyor and designer on Cape Cod. He worked at Chester Crosby's boatyard and on fair weather days we'd hear him going to and from work past our house in his old woody. He'd wave to us kids: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...-knott-7361325

Which of his boats do you have? His ARIES schooner was near us in a state of disrepair in the back of a DIY boatyard for years. I could never find out who owned her and then once when I drove past she was gone.

Never mind John. I found a post from 2011 in which you described your boat, etc.
    Yes, that was him. I bought plans from him, he remembered my boat immediately. Thanks for the pics and the link.