Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you lend tools

Question Do you lend tools

Do you lend any of your tools ?

Recently I lent two 5'0" sash clamps, only one came back - initially.

My friend did replace it with another, albeit a different style/manufacturer, after the workman he had employed 'permanently borrowed' it.

If you lend any of your tools do you write down who and when and what tools you loaned? tools
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Default Re: Do you lend tools

I do not usually lend tools. When I am working on a boat with other people, I make sure I have my initials on every tool I bring. It is easy to get them mixed up, especially when others have similar tools. I worked with a guy that painted all of his tools green to prevent "mix-ups".

The key question is: to whom.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

No...

Maybe.

I am a full time resident in a second-home community. Some of my neighbors were trying to treat me like their personal tool shed; one, in fact, I finally flat-out asked him if he knew that there was a hardware store on main street.

But,in the right circumstance, for the right person, I'd lend anything I own.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

i'd loan any true friend any tool that i own execpt for my chainsaws
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Not if I plan to use it again. Basically you are giving your tool away.

Selectively.

I have, however, permanently borrowed a friend's line on the subject: "I will lend you my tools if you lend me your wife..."
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Selectively.

I have, however, permanently borrowed a friend's line on the subject: "I will lend you my tools if you lend me your wife..."
    Brilliant.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

I will lend tools to some people. Others have proven that I shouldn't let them borrow anything. As to Paul's comment - I'd loan my toothbrush before loaning my chainsaw.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner36 View Post
    I worked with a guy that painted all of his tools green to prevent "mix-ups".
    Pink is a better colour. No roughhy toughy tradesman will "borrow" anything pink.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Selectively.

For most of those trades the guy getting the tool has the better deal.

While my girls were in high school I ended up too injured to be a reliable employee as it was hit or miss from day to day as to if i was in any condition to show up.
    I was fortunate enough to have a nice machine / mechanic shop at home and over ~ 6-8 years I had around 20 "kids" come through my shop that were working on their own vehicle related projects,I would assist them in return for them assisting me with the things that I was unable to physically do.
    This was a "win win" for all involved,now I did "lose" some tools and got left with a few messes but it was easy to weed out those responsible for that as the "kids" tended to police their ranks.
    Looking back I would do it again and if I could find more willing kids I will,of the 20 4 or 5 of them took what they learned from me and ended up with good paying jobs that have allowed them to support a family.
    As I see it I was blessed to have been mentored as a young man by some great "Old Men" and I owe it to their memory to do the same thing.

over the years i have run in a circle that would even share shop/barn/shed keys

the rule was to leave a note if we removed something from the premises or clean up after ourselves if we used something on location

those "notes" were often quite fun when trying to translate

as time has moved on and the circle is no longer round some locks have been changed out...

today my MO is to allow certain "friends" to use my tools in my shop in my presence

otherwise NO TOOLS LOANED unless they are expendable and i have better duplicates on hand and i can regularly find like kind replacements inexpensively(simple cost of doin' bidness) @ the local flea mkt and the "friend" is/has some kind of link to a larger picture of something else

the day after tomorrow is scheduled to be one of those rare days when a "friend" has been invited to the barn to use a specific tool at a specific time for a specific task(i may just do the work for him)

gettin crabby in my old age

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i'd loan any true friend any tool that i own execpt for my chainsaws
    Because of the danger of using it ?

Roll Tide....

I like to have people come over to my shop and there they are welcome to use all the tools they want. As for loaning them, I do with conditions.....like "when do you excpect to be done in case I need it? Could you bring it back by ____" .

But sometimes, if a Duffer, the answer is no.

In the case of my utility trailer: "Have at it. If you break off the taillights, please bring me a new set and I'll install them." I get new lights about every three years.

Never had a problem after setting conditions. And when I borrow stuff I try and bring back in better condition.
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

Rarely does anyone ask to borrow a tool. When it does happen, it depends on the tool probably more than the friend. And the tool depends on several factors. I will not lend my festool sanders, too valuable to me and expensive to replace. Recently a friend wanted to borrow my tablesaw, would never do because of danger. I told him to give me the wood and instructions and I would cut it for him, worked out fine. I certainly would not lend my planes or good chisels to anyone, I have been asked before and I politely declined, too much work if they mess up a blade too badly. I lent someone my hand planer a while back.

I haunt garage sales and pick up decent, reconditionable tools. When someone needs to borrow something, I go to my "toolbox" and grab one of those, show them how to sharpen/adjust/tweak it for the use that day and then send them home with it. My good stuff stays in my shop.

I have both lent and borrowed tools from my friends for years. There's never been an incident that I regret. I've actually acquired more small tools that were left in my shop, than have gone missing. Of a few of those forgotten tools, I asked everyone who might have been close if they were theirs with no takers. Fell out of the sky, I guess.

I'd rather have friends than tools. As to their spouses.... Those women and men are their own person and I would never equate them to a material object, like a tool, that is owned. No person has the choice, nor should have the temerity to even joke about the lending of another.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I haunt garage sales and pick up decent, reconditionable tools. When someone needs to borrow something, I go to my "toolbox" and grab one of those, show them how to sharpen/adjust/tweak it for the use that day and then send them home with it. My good stuff stays in my shop.
    A lot of my kit came from the UK equivalent of garage sales. It is all good old stuff, the modern crap stays at the sale.
    As to lending, I would rather give my time than lend the tools.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Once in a blue moon, if, I need to borrow a tool I always make sure to return it in better condition than is was when I borrowed it!
    Jay

Rarely if ever but if you need something done or fixed Im more than happy to help. Drop it off at the shop and Ill take care of it. Or come by the shop and fix it here so I can keep an eye on things

Three things I swore I would never lend. My chainsaw, canoe or wife. Any one of those could come back damaged beyond usefulness.
    Although I answered "no" in post #4, I have both loaned and borrowed tools. I am just not a big fan of either. Back in college days I borrowed
    a friends hand operated twist drill and broke it. The result was rather than buy one drill for myself, I had to buy two, one to keep and one to return.
    When I do, rarely, need to borrow a tool, I clean, sharpen and return it better than I got it. Still do not like doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I will lend tools to some people. Others have proven that I shouldn't let them borrow anything. As to Paul's comment - I'd loan my toothbrush before loaning my chainsaw.
    I confess. Garret loaned me a propane burner to use for shrinkwrapping. I didn't return it to you for what, maybe two years, Garret? So don't loan me tools, but then again, I TRY not to ask.

Selectively.

You can borrow my wife but not my chain saw.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I confess. Garret loaned me a propane burner to use for shrinkwrapping. I didn't return it to you for what, maybe two years, Garret? So don't loan me tools, but then again, I TRY not to ask.
    That was no problem at all! When I needed it, I called & had it the next day. You are welcome to borrow it again any time.

Not since I loaned out my chainsaw to a self-proclaimed 'experienced' chainsaw user. When it came time to add gas, he, after studying the pictograms of the gas pump & oil can on the two caps, concluded that gas and BAR OIL went into the fuel tank...

on the other side of the fence, if we need to borrow a tool more than once we should own it..... That's our rule.

Yes. And I almost always regret it.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

Neither a borrower nor lender be;
    For a loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Hamlet Wm Shakespeare 1602

So - no I don't lend tools, nor do I borrow them!

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Selectively.

Any takers? I have a friend who would say yes, but my wife would take a rather dim view of the arrangement.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I once borrowed a co-workers 1/2" heavy-duty Craftsman drill to drive a big hole saw - was running piping thru multiple joists - before I was done, he transferred from Minnesota to New Jersey. How to get the drill back to him ? The keyed chuck was worn and slipping - had been before I borrowed it - so I took the drill to the Sears Repair Shop, had them replace the chuck and check the drill, then ship it to the co-workers new address. Everybody came out OK on the deal !!

I’ll lend any tool I have. I would like them to be returned if possible. I have a set of craftsman wrenches and a couple of snap on tools, which have a spot. Since there are few things I can call personal possessions, I know that the tools sitting in my garage do me no good. Furthermore fewer things I now own can be repaired by me, so the tools are less valuable.

i love harbor freight, I know when I buy from them, the tool was worth the one job I do with it. The crappy tool joy that does the job is pretty cool. Not worrying about where it went when I am done is a relief.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

It does depend upon who. I now use my FessTool sander for a couple weeks a year. Rather than have it hang around, I loan it to a friend in the trades who will use it nearly every day, treat it well, and get it back to me when I need it again. Most of my tools are hand tools - I live mostly off the grid after all - and no one really wants to borrow them. So, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    It does depend upon who. I now use my FessTool sander for a couple weeks a year. Rather than have it hang around, I loan it to a friend in the trades who will use it nearly every day, treat it well, and get it back to me when I need it again. Most of my tools are hand tools - I live mostly off the grid after all - and no one really wants to borrow them. So, no problem.
    My scaffolding & metal cutoff saw live in "active storage" at friend's. It works out well.