Thread: Something like a hybrid between a Goat Island Skiff and an Oz Goose?

Default Something like a hybrid between a Goat Island Skiff and an Oz Goose?

I'm looking for plans to a sailboat that would have similar performance to a Goat Island Skiff or Oz Goose, row as well as the Goat Island Skiff, and come up dry from a capsize the way that the Oz Goose does. I want a deep, non-self draining cockpit like the Oz Goose has, and a full length cockpit from tiller to mast step is also a must.

Storer's Raid41 is almost there, but it has a self draining cockpit instead of side flotation. I want side flotation tanks so some of that volume can be used for storage.

I've looked at a few dozen plans after narrowing by categories, but nothing I've seen fits this bill.

Default Re: Something like a hybrid between a Goat Island Skiff and an Oz Goose?

You could easily build side chambers into a Goat I skiff, but you'd need to add extra bracing for the daggerboard trunk.

Default Re: Something like a hybrid between a Goat Island Skiff and an Oz Goose?

Design your own and call it a Goat Island Goose? Sounds like you're onto a fun project...looking forward to pics

I'm not understanding how you can have both a long, non-draining cockpit AND a boat that recovers from broaching without bringing any water aboard. From what i can see, the main design elements that make the Goose come up dry are the same elements that make it miserable to row -- beam.

No argument with what you'd like -- everyone wants things that violate the laws of physics -- perpetual motion machines, cars that don't need fuel, and boats that cost $200, can carry 4, sleep 2 and be cartopped. <-- old forum joke.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    I'm not understanding how you can have both a long, non-draining cockpit AND a boat that recovers from broaching without bringing any water aboard. From what i can see, the main design elements that make the Goose come up dry are the same elements that make it miserable to row -- beam.

No argument with what you'd like -- everyone wants things that violate the laws of physics -- perpetual motion machines, cars that don't need fuel, and boats that cost $200, can carry 4, sleep 2 and be cartopped. <-- old forum joke.
    When was it established that the OZ Goose was "miserable to row"? It's beam is 48 inches, similar to many successful rowing boats - some folding outriggers may help?

So, perhaps I should simplify? I'm looking for plans for a planing hull sailboat, close to 16 feet long either way, with side flotation, and weighing around 8 to 12 pounds per foot of length. Demonstrated seaworthiness of the plans as per this thread/a trusted designer are why I'm asking in this way.

If whatever it is doesn't sail as well as an OZ Goose I'll ignore it because I hope to be sailing it the vast majority of the time. Better rowing ability is for marinas, etc., so I can quickly get out of and stay out of people's way when I'm not allowed to be under sail and the quarters are tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
    So, perhaps I should simplify? I'm looking for plans for a planing hull sailboat, close to 16 feet long either way, with side flotation, and weighing around 8 to 12 pounds per foot of length. Demonstrated seaworthiness of the plans as per this thread/a trusted designer are why I'm asking in this way.

If whatever it is doesn't sail as well as an OZ Goose I'll ignore it because I hope to be sailing it the vast majority of the time. Better rowing ability is for marinas, etc., so I can quickly get out of and stay out of people's way when I'm not allowed to be under sail and the quarters are tight.
    I have owned a Goat Island Skiff for 10 years now. Great boat, but it will take on a lot of water when you capsize her. I understand that is why you are looking at the OZ Goose. The OZ Goose is also a great sailboat. If only rowing to get out of the marina or when the wind dies on you to get the last stretch home, I would not care too much about decent rowing characteristics. A paddle will work fine for that anyway.

Please note that wide side decks are typically not good for rowing. You will need to raise the oarlocks a couple of inches as to get decent clearance with the side decks. This means either blocks on deck or raised oarlocks. Blocks get in the way of sailing (they will be right there where you will sit when hiking upwind); raised oarlocks are expensive.

I should have been more clear -- I meant that the Oz Goose would row miserably in comparison to the GIS which rows very nicely -- I've been rowing and sailing alongside several GIS under oar. But it sounds as if the OP really just wants rowing for maneuvering in harbors, not long distance rowing.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Dudley Dix's DS15 is a planing hull with side tanks and open cockpit forward to the mast and it's light.

[IMG]
    Didi Sport 15 (DS15) by Dudley Dix, on Flickr[/IMG]

You didn't say wether your sailing solo or double.

Generally solo you'd be looking around a 13-14ft boat on a planing boat and 15-16 as a double. At the bigger sizes, you might start needing two for righting purposes if not sailing performance. Solo the other approach, to avoid inverted stability is a center tank. Something like the Callaghan Hadron H1. If your after a planing hull, you may as well take the advantages of an open transom, but if it must be closed, Oughtred's Gannet would be worth looking at, as would the B&B Coresound 15. You have a decision with the rig to make - the boom will be in the way when your rowing out the marina. Not a deal breaker but not always pleasant. Gartside has a 17ft design number 226, that is a lug yawl and planes apparently.

Welsford's Navigator as a planing bottom, and a bigger sloop rig for racing/ greater performance. The Welsford Awol planes, has a gennaker for offwind fun and a conservative main and jib sail area tailored for solo sailing. Side storage and a closed cockpit. 16ft and a bit.

Jack Holt's design catalogue would be worth looking through. Designs of a few of those can be had. Ply on frame built.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-07-2019 at 05:32 AM.

The Welsford Saturday Night Special might work, too. I think John would be open to modifications to suit your needs.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    When was it established that the OZ Goose was "miserable to row"? It's beam is 48 inches, similar to many successful rowing boats - some folding outriggers may help?
    --- Maybe Thorne meant the wetted surface area of a broad flat bottom? -- Wade

What about the new version of the CLC Jimmy Skiff with side-tanks? --Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post

It would be relatively simple to add side tanks to a Goat. Use 4mm ply and add a 5-6” deck would not add an extreme amount of weight. The Windmill class changed to this system years ago, and I used it in my boat “Malu” (WB Small Boats 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    It is probably close but I would be surprised if the Oz Goose had more wetted surface than the 3.5' longer, 1' wider Goat Island Skiff even allowing for its squareness and lack of flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    It is probably close but I would be surprised if the Oz Goose had more wetted surface than the 3.5' longer, 1' wider Goat Island Skiff even allowing for its squareness and lack of flare.
    I don't want to hijack this thread any more, but it should be obvious that the issue isn't "wetted surface" -- a 20' rowing scull has the same wetted surface whether rowed fore and aft or paddled sideways -- but it will be dog slow moving sideways. A moot point as the OP subsequently indicated it was only for rowing around harbors when sailing won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    The Welsford Saturday Night Special might work, too. I think John would be open to modifications to suit your needs.
    Yes, for sure. Stretch her a bit, side tanks under the side decks and she'd do the job. They even row reasonably well for what they are.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.