Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 67

Thread: new farm shop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default new farm shop

    Need a new shop. Second or third draft, still evolving.

    This would be the east face, visible from house and road. Ship lap siding and wood frame windows recycled from old 3-sided, dirt floor shed that is coming down. 4x8 barn doors with strap hinges.

    The north face, also prominent from house, would have rows of windows high and low and shiplap siding.

    South face lean-to would be open between posts, gravel floor for implements storage. Shop wall probably roughsawn ply siding with battens.

    West face would have big roll up doors, including a 12Hx10W off center on the main bay, rough sawn ply siding with battens.

    Old style corrugated steel roofing. Main shop bay raftered with df 4x10@ 6', 2x6 t&g over. Lean-tos 2x8 and 2x6 recycled rafters.

    60' overall length. Wood and mechanic shop 20x60, with wood floor over slab. North lean-to slab and a 10x10 rollup for storage of multiple boat trailers.

    87487BC9-4E4A-4DF2-8B5D-9380955D5B07.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    18,117

    Default Re: new farm shop

    What you really need is a cardboard model of it.

    Peace,
    Robert

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    What you really need is a cardboard model of it.

    Peace,
    Robert


    Be sure to add a 3-story cupola.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    18,117

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post


    Be sure to add a 3-story cupola.
    The question is, have you pondered the real important stuff, yet.

    Like, what’s on the weathervane? Rooster? Rowboat? Monkey playing xylophone?

    Peace,
    Cere Eel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    54,719

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Like the general look. I'm partial to vertical board & batten for such applications, and that design would accommodate such. There's probably a number of small local mills that could supply rough/green doug fir for such an approach very cheaply. Though the rough ply & applied batten version could serve double duty as shear-wall and siding. Not sure I'd bother with the expense of lap siding.

    I'd also consider bigger. No one ever regretted bigger, and lots of folks have regretted 'too small'.

    Like the notion of a North-facing clerestory. Best kinda natural light for a shop space except for large translucent skylights.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The question is, have you pondered the real important stuff, yet.

    Like, what’s on the weathervane? Rooster? Rowboat? Monkey playing xylophone?

    Peace,
    Cere Eel
    Well, it's not very eccentric, but I do have this weathervane from my paternal grandfather, upstate New York.

    20190501_084655.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Mull, Scotland
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Need space for the sign. And possibly a bit of a canopy over the entrance- presume that's the one in the middle.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    18,117

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Well, it's not very eccentric, but I do have this weathervane from my paternal grandfather, upstate New York.

    20190501_084655.jpg
    The rest is details.

    Peace,
    Robert

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    27,425

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

    Old style corrugated steel roofing.
    I wouldn't.

    What you want is probably R-Panel, or PBR. I covered the Dale house in M-Panel that I bought used off Craigslist for $500. Nice, heavy stuff.

    Corrugated is cheap, but . . .



    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    No one ever regretted bigger.
    Yes they have.

    Not to tweak ya, but I have always fared better in a shop that was just a little small.

    It forces one to get organized and STAY organized. People share one property with the gases. We tend to expand to fill the available volume.
    Rattling the teacups.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Like the general look. I'm partial to vertical board & batten for such applications, and that design would accommodate such. There's probably a number of small local mills that could supply rough/green doug fir for such an approach very cheaply. Though the rough ply & applied batten version could serve double duty as shear-wall and siding. Not sure I'd bother with the expense of lap siding.

    I'd also consider bigger. No one ever regretted bigger, and lots of folks have regretted 'too small'.

    Like the notion of a North-facing clerestory. Best kinda natural light for a shop space except for large translucent skylights.
    The lap siding would be recycled from the shed that is coming down. The idea being to match the look of lower barn. Might lap side the west face if I have enough, but I calculate that I won't.

    This is the building that will come down. It looks pretty good from this vantage but trust me, it's not. The new shop will be on the right hand side of this picture, west face would be near the brown gate in foreground, fenceline runs right about where the south wall of main shop would be, with implement lean-to extending to current gravel drive.

    BB2826FE-CC7C-4D54-A31D-6D8492BCE235.jpg

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    54,719

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Recycling the older lap siding makes perfect sense, since you'll be doing your own demo, and can do it with care. Unless it's ancient, rock-hard, brittle, over-fastened doug fir that will end up in shards. But that building doesn't appear to be THAT old. Have you done any exploratory deconstruction?
    Last edited by David G; 05-01-2019 at 11:26 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    23,209

    Default Re: new farm shop

    It's not big enough...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    54,719

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    It's not big enough...
    The problem is... you could easily and correctly say that about nearly any plan he presented <G>

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    50,268

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Need a new shop. Second or third draft, still evolving.

    This would be the east face, visible from house and road. Ship lap siding and wood frame windows recycled from old 3-sided, dirt floor shed that is coming down. 4x8 barn doors with strap hinges.

    The north face, also prominent from house, would have rows of windows high and low and shiplap siding.

    South face lean-to would be open between posts, gravel floor for implements storage. Shop wall probably roughsawn ply siding with battens.

    West face would have big roll up doors, including a 12Hx10W off center on the main bay, rough sawn ply siding with battens.

    Old style corrugated steel roofing. Main shop bay raftered with df 4x10@ 6', 2x6 t&g over. Lean-tos 2x8 and 2x6 recycled rafters.

    60' overall length. Wood and mechanic shop 20x60, with wood floor over slab. North lean-to slab and a 10x10 rollup for storage of multiple boat trailers.

    87487BC9-4E4A-4DF2-8B5D-9380955D5B07.jpg
    That looks great, I like metal siding. You can get a range of colors.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    11,986

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Will it have a wood stove and a recliner?
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    218

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Don't you mean boat shop?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Salt Spring Island, BC
    Posts
    6,089

    Default Re: new farm shop

    That round window's got to go Lew. It's a lot of extra work for very little light, it looks way out of place and you'll be accused of being trendy.

    A transom window over the big doors will be easier, will let in much more light and will look right on.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    you'll be accused of being trendy.
    the horrah...the horrah

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    54,719

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    That round window's got to go Lew. It's a lot of extra work for very little light, it looks way out of place and you'll be accused of being trendy.

    A transom window over the big doors will be easier, will let in much more light and will look right on.
    Oh... if you only knew his local reputation. 'Trendy' doesn't begin to cover it. I'm only speculating... but I think the move out of the Megalopolis may be partly an attempt to shake off the aura of 'hipness'. He's probably gonna donate all his flannel shirts to Goodwill and stay clean-shaved as well. Or so people are saying <G>

    Like the notion of a transom window about the main door. Really helps.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    i wasnt sure if that was a window or a hex. which one is trendier?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    27,425

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Oh... if you only knew his local reputation. 'Trendy' doesn't begin to cover it. I'm only speculating... but I think the move out of the Megalopolis may be partly an attempt to shake off the aura of 'hipness'. He's probably gonna donate all his flannel shirts to Goodwill and stay clean-shaved as well. Or so people are saying <G>

    Like the notion of a transom window about the main door. Really helps.
    Here's one way to do it.


    Rattling the teacups.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,211

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Main shop bay raftered with df 4x10@ 6', 2x6 t&g over.
    Seems too light for 20ft span at 6' O.C.

    What's the design snow load for you area?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    28,579

    Default Re: new farm shop

    I like metal roof - though it may not be best if insulating.

    I actually agree with Rob (even if his was in jest) - a cardboard model helps with visualization.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    54,719

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I like metal roof - though it may not be best if insulating.

    I actually agree with Rob (even if his was in jest) - a cardboard model helps with visualization.
    Or a 3D model in Sketchup, Rhino, ChiefArchitect, etc. But I also prefer the analogue.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    Seems too light for 20ft span at 6' O.C.

    What's the design snow load for you area?
    Local snow load is 20psf.

    You are correct, 19' span at 6' o.c., should be 4x12, minimum. Could go down to 4' or 5' o.c.. as well. I won't proceed without actual calculations.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mukilteo, WA
    Posts
    2,249

    Default Re: new farm shop

    I had a window planned for near my shop door like that, the inspector wouldn't let me put it in because I insisted on leaded glass single pane and he said it had to be safety glass that near a door.

    May or may not apply to you.

    I think it looks like a great shop. Be sure to add a lean to along the whole left side for lumber storage.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    54,719

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Local snow load is 20psf.

    You are correct, 19' span at 6' o.c., should be 4x12, minimum. Could go down to 4' or 5' o.c.. as well. I won't proceed without actual calculations.
    I bet you could get the Dirtsailor to do the beam calcs for you. He just LOVES doing beam calcs. And it would distract him from riding around on the newly tricked-out motorcycle in the scrub... wondering how he went SO wrong as to be living in a desert... <G>

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northwest Oregon coast
    Posts
    27,770

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Why so small?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I bet you could get the Dirtsailor to do the beam calcs for you. He just LOVES doing beam calcs. And it would distract him from riding around on the newly tricked-out motorcycle in the scrub... wondering how he went SO wrong as to be living in a desert... <G>
    Don't reckon this is complicated enough to engage an actual genius.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    54,719

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Don't reckon this is complicated enough to engage an actual genius.
    <snort>

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I had a window planned for near my shop door like that, the inspector wouldn't let me put it in because I insisted on leaded glass single pane and he said it had to be safety glass that near a door.

    May or may not apply to you.

    I think it looks like a great shop. Be sure to add a lean to along the whole left side for lumber storage.
    Both lean-tos would be full length, for sure.

    As for code requirements...this structure is right on the border between needing to be permitted and not. As a farm structure, it can be unpermitted (except for wiring). The only thing in the description where I might run afoul would be in the intent to store any non-farm related stuff... like boats, for instance. Good thing I don't have any of those.

    Need to do a bit more research to be sure. Of course, if I ask at the county, I know what they will say.

  32. #32

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Local code is much different, snow load here would be 3 times that, minimum roof pitch would be 4/12 for a metal roof 5/12 for a shingle roof, any thoughts of a gambrel to add storage to the center section, I'm 58 if you don't ever want to deal with stairs again I feel ya.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    50,268

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i wasnt sure if that was a window or a hex. which one is trendier?
    Octagon stained glass. Btw my SILs 30’x40’ shop is post and beam and he’s got a lot of natural light by using a foot high strip of clear corrugated plastic at the top of the side walls under the eaves. That may not work as well for your clearstory windows wrt sealing from rain but the quality of light is great. Cheap 4’ LED shop light fixtures that replace fluorescents are fantastic.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    11,011

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    It's not big enough...
    Well, I've dug it out, 5' wider than the drawring. Added 1' to the south lean-to, 2' to the main bay for 21'x59' net, and 2' to the north lean-to, for 13'6 net, in hopes that the northermost wall will fit shelves and maybe a closet for gear.

    The overall length has stayed the same, constrained by a cherry tree I like on one end, and the septic leach field--that ended up being not quite as far from the well head as the permit drawings claim, though still legal--on the other. More on that later, maybe.

    Yesterday evening, from the lower barn loft. Rental excavator, oh how I love thee:

    EB326855-6027-4045-81EA-4C9B001F8697.jpg

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cows
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: new farm shop

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Rental excavator, oh how I love thee:
    Oh, I'm in love with a rental excavator!
    Tally hoe! Tally hoe! Tally hoe!
    Watch me dig a trench with a rental excavator!
    Tally hoe! Tally hoe! Tally hoe!

    But I have my eyes on a cute Ditch Witch.
    Tally Hoe! Tally Hoe! Tally Hoe!

    She said Kubota, and I said I oughta.
    Tally Hoe! Tally Hoe! Tally Hoe!
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •