Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peterduncan
    • Mar 2015

Richardson Planking Caulking

The Richardson we have inherited is carvel planked. The cotton caulking appears to be in decent shape;however the rubberized caulking that has been applied to the cotton caulked seems is in need of replacement. Do any of you recommend a a good below waterline caulk that comes in a caulking tube?
  • wizbang 13
    • Oct 2009

Re: Richardson Planking Caulking

This is a sort of big subject.
    “Rubberized goo”.... most folks who have had em for awhile tend to keep em traditional. No goo.

Comment

• johngsandusky
      • Dec 2003

I have used Slick Seam with success. It does not come in a tube, but it probably can be warmed and put in an empty one. It does apply easily with a putty knife.

Comment

• Garret
        Hills of Vermont
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by johngsandusky
        I have used Slick Seam with success. It does not come in a tube, but it probably can be warmed and put in an empty one. It does apply easily with a putty knife.
        I'm not a boatbuilder, but I can say that paint sticks to SlickSeam for about 15 minutes, or until the boat moves - whichever comes first. It's great for a temp repair though. Yes, they say it's "ready for paint in 30 minutes"...

This is what I use on my boat: https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-pain...compound-brown

It's not in a tube though. Once you get the rhythm down, it goes fairly quickly with a 3" or so putty knife. You want to work it in pretty well - which you can do with the knife. When a seam is done, go back over it with a rounded tool to make it concave - particularly if the planks are dry.
        "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• jamo
          • Jul 2013

That brown, below the waterline seam compound by Interlux is the stuff to use. I've used it on literally hundreds of boats and it works. Push it into the seam so that a little squeezes out on either side of the 3" putty knife. That way you know you got the stuff all the way to the back of the seam. Some of it will invariably get on to either side of the plank so just put a good amount of paint thinner on a soft rag and GENTLY rub the seam fore and aft. It will clean up the planks and flatten the seam compound. Change the rag when it gets too full of compound then use your favorite tool to make the seam concave if you wish. Looks good that way, too.

Comment

• nedL
            Senior Member #1976
            • Jul 2000

What jamo said...

Comment

• johngsandusky
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Garret
              I'm not a boatbuilder, but I can say that paint sticks to SlickSeam for about 15 minutes, or until the boat moves - whichever comes first. It's great for a temp repair though. Yes, they say it's "ready for paint in 30 minutes"...
              My experience was different, paint stuck to it for ten years. It may still be sticking, I don't own that boat anymore.

Comment

• Garret
                Hills of Vermont
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by johngsandusky
                My experience was different, paint stuck to it for ten years. It may still be sticking, I don't own that boat anymore.
                I wonder if we had different formulations? While I was exaggerating for effect - the slickseam I've applied wouldn't hold paint well at all. Maybe it's speed? I put some on my CC, took it out for a 1.5 hr spin (mostly at 20 or so MPH, but a few bursts to 35) & when I put the boat back on the trailer, the paint was gone from all the spots where I'd used slickseam. Gotta say it slowed the water intake right down!

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                  • Apr 1999

The Interlux is the stuff, brown below waterline and white for topsides. You'll need to reef the old compound out carefully to not pull the fiber caulking. I use the tang of an old file carefully ground to just a hair less than the seam width on the sides and a chisel point on the face. On an older boat there can be a lot of swelling so it might make sense to mix the underwater compound with 30%-50% roofing "tar". Much easier to handle. In fact, if you have an old time grease gun - the sort designed to be loaded with the grease, not to hold a cartridge - you can load it up and make squeezing into the seam a little more efficient. You still need the spatula and thinner soaked rags.

Davis Slick Seam is really great for hitting existing seams after a winter on the hard. I know folk who use it for covering the fiber but I'm not quite so sure.

On new seams in new construction stuff like SikaFlex may be an alternative, but not on old.

Comment

• Peterduncan
                    • Mar 2015

Great information from all of you...Thanks!

Comment

• Peterduncan
                      • Mar 2015

I have heard that one does not need to buy cotton caulking from a marine supply house. Cotton bags from a retailer like Jennifer Fabrics can be used. Has anyone had any experience with their cotton?

Comment

• wizbang 13
                        • Oct 2009

Cotton cloth is not the same a cotton caulking.
                        That said, I know a fella just buy up ALL de cotton mop in Antigua

Comment

• pcford
                          boatwright/film/video
                          • Jul 2002

Wondering: I would think this boat era would have batten-seam construction, like Chris-Crafts. Thus the term caulking seems to be used indiscriminately in this discussion.

Comment

• Garret
                            Hills of Vermont
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by pcford
                            Wondering: I would think this boat era would have batten-seam construction, like Chris-Crafts. Thus the term caulking seems to be used indiscriminately in this discussion.
                            I another thread he had a pic & it sure looked like carvel to me.

Comment

• cstevens
                              Dreaming of a boat
                              • Nov 2014

One thing to note on using Interlux seam compound. It goes in MUCH more easily if it is heated a bit. Put the can in a pot of water over a hot plate for a few minutes and it will go in like butter - literally. Way easier, in my opinion, than using a caulking gun of any sort. If it gets too warm it will liqueify but it will solidify again when it cools with no harm done.
                              - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Comment

Working...