Thread: Feather Pram leeboard

Default Feather Pram leeboard

Does this boat make my leeboard look fat?

With a crew forming up a foundation for the new Casa Stromborg I've had to keep myself occupied in ways that keeps me out of the way but available. What better thing to do than work on the pram's sailing rig? I mocked up the leeboard to see what it looked like, it looks over-sized for such a wee boat, but what do I know?

The plans call for an asymmetrical foil 5/8" x 11" x 37" that gets flipped from one lee side to the other while tacking. Boomless standing lug means also flipping mainsheet from one aft quarter to the other. Lots of action to tack a 6'-8" x 3'8" pram. Did I mention that I'm 6'-0" tall and 215 lbs? I'm thinking a little boom and a daggerboard might be the way to go.

Thoughts from those more knowledgeable than I are welcome.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Default Re: Feather Pram leeboard

Maybe it'll look smaller if painted a light colour? I'm watching as I have a half built one of these and Im about the same size as you. What about a rope horse to take care of the main sheet? That leeboard will be handy when you bump into things vs a daggerboard too. Im interested to see if it works.

The rope horse and boomless sail tend to be uneasy companions and looking at the rig I'm not sure the sheet angle is very good to start with. I started in a Sabot and then a Laser, sailing off the beach in California so the whole get the board up thing is not foreign to me.
    Steve

R.D Culler

That leeboard should be mounted at the widest part of the hull -- they're not like dagger/centerboards which can be installed at various fore & aft locations. I hate trying to swap leeboards, so having two works much better, even though you do have to raise one and lower the other on each tack.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

At this point it is hanging right where Iain Oughtred wanted it. I just remembered I have plans for an El Toro kicking around here and the local Opti fleet is out on the water too. I think taking a few measurements and a bit of creative thinking might just get me to a nice off-set daggerboard, less fuss when sailing. For now she's a fine little (very little!) tender.
    Steve

R.D Culler

If you find it's too big, you can always cut it down.