• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rum_Pirate
    Banned
    • Apr 2007

Re: Planer

Originally posted by ron ll
    The helix cutters have four renewable cutting edges, plus any one cutter can easily be replaced if it gets nicked. But more importantly, the quality of the cut is incredible.

https://www.holbren.com/byrd-heads/?...SAAEgKLIfD_BwE

So although the cutter head is 'expensive', because it has four cutting edges which can be individually related to present the new edge, you can divide the cost by four for comparison with a normal cutter.

Acknowledge that the ability to replace any one cutter lessens the cost of replacement compared to a whole 'blade'.

Sounds like it might be an economic solution.

Comment

• ron ll
      Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate
      So although the cutter head is 'expensive', because it has four cutting edges which can be individually related to present the new edge, you can divide the cost by four for comparison with a normal cutter.

Acknowledge that the ability to replace any one cutter lessens the cost of replacement compared to a whole 'blade'.

Sounds like it might be an economic solution.
      Yes, I think that is a correct assessment. The only caveat to that is that for a hobby user, there might not be enough usage to justify it, but for anyone who goes thru knives a lot I would think the math would work out pretty well.

Comment

• John B
        • Aug 2000

Now have a 10" dia blade table saw (portable) and a 10" dia blade mitre saw.

Now to build a a mitre saw station.

Quite like the simplicity of this:

Will also put 'table saw' on a stand with (possibly) a 'table' on either side.

Available width from back wall is +/- 4'0" and the length up to 10'0".

What is your suggested size of the lead-in and lead-out tables?

Other suggestions?
        Don't build yourself into a corner, a chop saw is for cutting lengths as much as anything.
        God I hate brush motors.

Comment

• Edward Pearson
          • Dec 2015

I use these infeed/ outfeed rollers for supporting long spar/ gunwale length pieces through my thicknesser.

They are certainly help but not infalliable and I'd like them to have a more sturdy base lock off (the height adjusts). You have to set it up level to the thicknesser infeed/ outfeed then feed one in then run around the other side to make sure it goes over the top of the outfeed and the weight of the timber doesn't bow down and just push it over. If it doesn't all stay level you'll get a non universal thickness obviously. Wouldn't be without it, though they seem to be even more expensive than they were. Don' lend it out, mine came back with chips in the planer blades, after someone put a board with nails through it...now I have to put everything through twice. Produces alot of chips so a big dust extractor connector is pretty essential.

Comment

• john welsford
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by AndreasJordahlRhude
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]36467[/ATTACH]I think I paid $301.00 for this Buss double sided planer which opens to 30" wide x 8" tall
            I get to work on a Yates that is a bit bigger than that, has a 25 hp motor driving the cutters and a 5 hp driving the feed.
            Its getting a bit old and sloppy, so tends to shear off the keys in the feed drive gears, the owner wont have the shafts and wheels built up, so its about a 6 hour job for me once every year or so. He's an ok guy, gives me the operator to do the heavy, and some of it is really heavy, lifting so for me its one of the better jobs.

John Welsford
            An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• FF
              • Oct 2005

20190502_155019.jpg20190502_155145.jpg I was looking for a small planer when I found these machines: They were meant for one-man shops during a time when every saving counted, so there is one central motor that drives these machines with belts. The motor is 220volt and has pullies at both end. They all fit on the table. Jointer/planer, tablesaw, morticer, grinder for planer blades and a moulder that I took of. Frank

Comment

• oznabrag
                Historical Illiterate
                • Nov 2008

Now have a 10" dia blade table saw (portable) and a 10" dia blade mitre saw.

Now to build a a mitre saw station.

Quite like the simplicity of this:

Will also put 'table saw' on a stand with (possibly) a 'table' on either side.

Available width from back wall is +/- 4'0" and the length up to 10'0".

What is your suggested size of the lead-in and lead-out tables?

Other suggestions?
                Here's a suggestion: Let the runners that support the saw go the full length of the table, instead of tacking the extensions on like that.

MUCH easier to adjust the heights of the various corners of the table against the full-length undercarriage than futzing around with that thing.
                Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• Geftb
                  Good Enough For the Bush
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by ron ll
                  Now you need one of these. I have one on my DeWalt planer and would never go back to knives. These make a HUGE difference.

yes, I did the same to my Dewalt planer. I new it was going to be better, but not THAT much better. Amazing difference in every way.

Comment

• Bark
                    • Mar 2001

That Makita is a nice little unit. I sold mine when we moved, then replaced it with a Dewalt (don't remember why). Should have bought another Makita.

Comment

• Hugh Conway
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2012

I like that little Makita. Buy the dust output & use it. Will increase blade life dramatically. Pay attention to braces on each side, if you don't you'll get skew side to side (1/128" or 1/64"). Mine is mounted on a movable base unit - power planers are really nice for long stock (>10')

Comment

• Okaucheecedar
                        • Nov 2016

Canoeyawl id the local town complain when their lights dimmed when the planner was in use?

Comment

Working...