X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JorgeR
    • Apr 2019

Adventures of 'yeswhen', a boat with a lot of questions

Ahoi everybody,

'Yeswhen' is the sort-of-ficticious name of our new home in the water. The choice for not publishing the real name is merely to keep up with privacy online as much as possible while being able to share the journey and create posts.

The story behind 'yeswhen' is limited, but we'll start from what we know:
    30-foot single masted double (or triple) diagonal planked oregon timber sheated on Dynel.
    Year construction is unknown but it is said to have been built begginning of the 70's.
    Generous cockpit with oversized features as well as overengineered rig for the size.
    Interior is beautiful with dark wood and very well fitted and tiny but enough for us. Mastpost and steel galvanized reinforcement around mast towards hull.
    Chainplates also reinforced with galvanised steel
    Engine is a Beta Marine 20 with low hrs.
    Other features include a full working galley (metho stove/oven), VHF, SSB, manual head, day diesel tank, hot water heater, an plenty of surprises on the lockers that we have not got yet the opportunity to look into.

'Yeswhen' was built and loved by the same owner, Mr. Stewart, and was moored in its base in Yowie Bay, South Sydney, until he died early this year. People we've talked to said that he would never come less than four times a week to care about his boat, and that is reflected on the soul that the boat has, a major factor for us to go forward and get it.

With this post we aim to find out more, if there's more to be found, and summarize the (not little amounts) questions that will arise through this process.

There could not be best ambassador for us to get onto this forum than brucemoffatt and his stories. We were blessed by his generosity and hospitality, amazed by his writings and very happy to go for a sail on Arawana while contemplating buying her. We did not got the boat, but we kept Bruce as a friend and potential first crew on our upcoming sailing.

Fair winds!

p.s: newbie and no tapatalk yet, sorry for two pictures!
    Attached Files
    'Yeswhen', a boat with a lot of questions
  • RFNK
    Port Stephens, Australia
    • Feb 2007

Re: Adventures of 'yeswhen', a boat with a lot of questions

Welcome and good luck!!

Rick
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• michigangeorge
      • Apr 2005

Neat boat. Looks very much like a Scheel 30.
      When the last tree is cut
      When the last river is dry
      When the last fish is caught
      Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

Comment

• WX
        Uki NSW Australia
        • Feb 2002

Welcome to the forum. Some interior shots would be nice.
        Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• JorgeR
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by WX
          Welcome to the forum. Some interior shots would be nice.
          Will happen soon, just getting the paperwork today and starting to get in it!

Comment

• JorgeR
            • Apr 2019

Originally posted by purri
            If it was built around there there (Taren Point/ Caringbah) it may be Quilkey Brothers they were the best
            As far as we've found out, it was built on Mr. Stewart's backyard, with apparent help from the neighboorhood to turn it around and major movements. It also sailed to Lord Howe Island pretty much after launch to celebrate the built.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Comment

• gypsie
              NSW Australia
              • Jun 2010

Welcome along mate.
              I saw in the antipodean thread you are getting a HIN? If its moored in NSW it must have a HIN already.
              It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

• JorgeR
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by gypsie
                Welcome along mate.
                I saw in the antipodean thread you are getting a HIN? If its moored in NSW it must have a HIN already.
                Gypsie, no, it doesn't as the owner was the one who built it and aparently before 73(?) or a similar year there was no need to have a HIN to register.

Done the first step towards it though, smile while paying the fee and in the next days someone will come around and pierce through somwhere to give royal numbers to this humble hull.

I rather not do it, but it is not possible for us to change registration name without a HIN!

Comment

• Phil Y
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2010

In the mid 90s I bought a boat that was built in the early 80s. Had to get a HIN. No drama at all. Cost maybe a couple of hundred dollars, but I just called a guy who does it and he did it. Getting Australian registration which is necessary to depart Australian waters was more difficult. But being a bit lawyerly, I read the rules carefully and found that actual registration is not required, just an application for registration. So I applied. And left. No problemo.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• WX
                    Uki NSW Australia
                    • Feb 2002

It’s no big problem. The RTA has a list of HIN plate attachers. They fasten one to the transom and stash another one out of sight inside.

Comment

• Geftb
                      Good Enough For the Bush
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Phil Y
                      Getting Australian registration which is necessary to depart Australian waters was more difficult. But being a bit lawyerly, I read the rules carefully and found that actual registration is not required, just an application for registration. So I applied. And left. No problemo.

thats interesting! Did you have your rego by time you arrived? Did you ever get it? Was this to PNG?

edit. Sorry for the thread drift. I thought we were in the antipodes thread
                      Last edited by Geftb; 04-30-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• WX
                        Uki NSW Australia
                        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Geftb
                        thats interesting! Did you have your rego by time you arrived? Did you ever get it? Was this to PNG?

I’ve confused antipodes with ozpol a couple of times.

Comment

• Phil Y
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Geftb

No never completed the rego. They let me bring it home again which was nice.

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                            • Apr 2012

I'm watching this thread in eager anticipation. I really like the boat and the story of the boat. I really like the new owners, too. More boat photos are always welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• JorgeR
                              • Apr 2019

Coming along soon! Phone died but plenty of discoveries in lockers including Stanley screwdriver sets, full plumbing bag, full electronics miscelaneous stuff, plenty of spare pumps, hoses...

Highlights were probably getting the kero stove running (lucky on the sailing through the southern ocean this kind of stove was on board) after figuring out that the pressure is built with a bike pump! No wonder we found like three yesterday, we thought Mr. Stewart used to be a bike fanatic!
                              Heres a picture of the beast now that Ive got the phone running:

IMG_0869.jpg

And heres one of the detailed air pressure intake:

IMG_0870.jpg

We've gone as far as the V-berth lockers, and there was enough to exhaust anyone. That and all the bits that I fund deep below including engine sacrificial anodes and plenty of good wiring.

The biggest surprise was to find three beers deep down in one of those lockers. Gone already!

Tomorrow we'll grt the HIN done and we'll see how the rego stuff goes afterwards. That includes a little movement from the mooring to a public pontoon and back. Testing out wind awareness skills!

Bruce, thanks for the advice about that place you mentioned, we'll keep it in mind for the next movements, althoigh we've found an OK deal here for the next month that allows us to work straight and getting all done. Maybe you can be our pilot for a sail up that way? Whatcha' say?

thanks everybody, and feel free to drift around here. All welcome.

Comment

Working...