Thread: word processing programs

Default word processing programs

What word processing program are semi literate computer people using? MS is stopping support of my Office and it does cost way more than it should, especially since I have paid for several issues from MS for a loong time and don't need anything fancy.
    Tom L

Default Re: word processing programs

Libre Office does just about anything you are likely to need and its free.

I'm still running Office 2013. Do you need support on it? Mine still works fine. I used Outlook, word, & Excel from it every day.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Libre Office does just about anything you are likely to need and its free.
    I use it and have done for around 20 years now.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'm still running Office 2013. Do you need support on it? Mine still works fine. I used Outlook, word, & Excel from it every day.
    I am still running Office but get notices regularly that MS will stop support in September and I need to act now.
    Tom L

Ah - I haven't started getting those yet. Are they from Word itself, or Window Update? I'm guessing the latter. I don;t think it's anything to worry about right off. After all, do you sell your car when the warranty ends?

Next operating system (Windows 11 or 13 or whatever) may change things around, but as long as it is working on Win10 now - why should it stop working?

I am running office 2007 student version at home and Office 365 at work and I have no trouble sending stuff back and forth between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    I am still running Office but get notices regularly that MS will stop support in September and I need to act now.
    This is MS. "Rent Seeking", they no longer sell Office but allow you to lease the use of the programs for a limited time.

If you feel the need to act, and dislike the idea of paying MS in perpetuity for access to your own data, then try some of the alternative programs, I like libre office which does everything I need.

P.S. Beware of MS proprietary file formats they are a trap for the clueless.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I hate typing on a laptop/desktop these days. I’m spoiled from typing on the iPad. It automatically capitalizes and punctuates and with predictive text you only need to type part of the word.

Ah - I haven't started getting those yet. Are they from Word itself, or Window Update? I'm guessing the latter. I don;t think it's anything to worry about right off. After all, do you sell your car when the warranty ends?

Next operating system (Windows 11 or 13 or whatever) may change things around, but as long as it is working on Win10 now - why should it stop working?
    The big risc is a change of processor, long time Mac users are familiar with this horror.

Mac's started on Motorola 68000 chips, then moved to PowerPc - all the old programs stopped working, then they abandoned PowerPc in favour of Intel x86 and all the PowerPc stuff went west, they now plan to move to ARM - which will repeat the process....

Microsoft meanwhile is dabbling with ARM processors, you can already get W10 for ARM , so there is a real possibility that your old word processor will stop working.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    What word processing program are semi literate computer people using? MS is stopping support of my Office and it does cost way more than it should, especially since I have paid for several issues from MS for a loong time and don't need anything fancy.
    I think I paid $99/year for Office 365, that includes all the upgrades, latest versions, all of the Offices applications, and 5 terrabytes of cloud storage. I fail to see how that is way more than it should be. I have no other subscription services that (phones, TVs, internet, etc) that gives me more value for my dollar.

Open office, free office software. have used for years.
    https://www.openoffice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I think I paid $99/year for Office 365, that includes all the upgrades, latest versions, all of the Offices applications, and 5 terrabytes of cloud storage. I fail to see how that is way more than it should be. I have no other subscription services that (phones, TVs, internet, etc) that gives me more value for my dollar.
    $99 is not awful, but I have a fully functional version of Office that cost me $99 7 years ago & 0/year since then. Yes, I got special MS reseller pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    Open office, free office software. have used for years.
    https://www.openoffice.org/
    Thats where Libre Office sprang from.

$99 is not awful, but I have a fully functional version of Office that cost me $99 7 years ago & 0/year since then. Yes, I got special MS reseller pricing.
    Yea, I get that. I used to buy a well established version of office, typically the family and student version so it was good for 4 or 5 computers and pay 150, and use it for several years before upgrading.
    But, I find the $8/month a better deal, its good for all the kids, my wife, etc. The cloud storage is large enough to hold 20 years of family photos (a lot of pictures) and all of my data from my computer, and the rest of my families. no more backup worries. I always get the latest version of office. And Office is a lot of software. I suppose I am spending more than in the past for Office, but I think I am getting a lot more out of it.

I run Libre office on both Mac and PC. I like it well enough to send them a small monthly contribution but it is free. You do need to save the first doc you create in MS, then it remembers when it works with that doc.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I hate typing on a laptop/desktop these days. I’m spoiled from typing on the iPad. It automatically capitalizes and punctuates and with predictive text you only need to type part of the word.
    I disabled all those features on my devices. I was afraid the automatic stuff was extracting a part of my brain in payment. Sort of a dance with the devil. So I do it all myself now... It's slower to type but I own my mistakes.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I disabled all those features on my devices. I was afraid the automatic stuff was extracting a part of my brain in payment. Sort of a dance with the devil. So I do it all myself now... It's slower to type but I own my mistakes.

Jeff
    Many years ago I worked as a traveling salesman for an auto parts company. One of my tasks was to take returns, write up a slip for them, then add up what they owed (other invoices) & deduct the credit and I carried a little calculator for doing it. One day I accidentally left the calculator at a customer's & when I had to add things up at the next customer, I was completely lost. I couldn't add & subtract!

I left it at the customer's & did every one manually for the rest of my tenure at that job - 2 years or so. It's true that you lose it if you don't use it.

Beesides I spel gud so i dunt nede no spelcheker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    I run Libre office on both Mac and PC. I like it well enough to send them a small monthly contribution but it is free. You do need to save the first doc you create in MS, then it remembers when it works with that doc.
    I save in rtf.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP