Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures of 'yeswhen', a boat with a lot of questions

Default Adventures of 'yeswhen', a boat with a lot of questions

Ahoi everybody,

'Yeswhen' is the sort-of-ficticious name of our new home in the water. The choice for not publishing the real name is merely to keep up with privacy online as much as possible while being able to share the journey and create posts.

The story behind 'yeswhen' is limited, but we'll start from what we know:
    30-foot single masted double (or triple) diagonal planked oregon timber sheated on Dynel.
    Year construction is unknown but it is said to have been built begginning of the 70's.
    Generous cockpit with oversized features as well as overengineered rig for the size.
    Interior is beautiful with dark wood and very well fitted and tiny but enough for us. Mastpost and steel galvanized reinforcement around mast towards hull.
    Chainplates also reinforced with galvanised steel
    Engine is a Beta Marine 20 with low hrs.
    Other features include a full working galley (metho stove/oven), VHF, SSB, manual head, day diesel tank, hot water heater, an plenty of surprises on the lockers that we have not got yet the opportunity to look into.

'Yeswhen' was built and loved by the same owner, Mr. Stewart, and was moored in its base in Yowie Bay, South Sydney, until he died early this year. People we've talked to said that he would never come less than four times a week to care about his boat, and that is reflected on the soul that the boat has, a major factor for us to go forward and get it.

With this post we aim to find out more, if there's more to be found, and summarize the (not little amounts) questions that will arise through this process.

There could not be best ambassador for us to get onto this forum than brucemoffatt and his stories. We were blessed by his generosity and hospitality, amazed by his writings and very happy to go for a sail on Arawana while contemplating buying her. We did not got the boat, but we kept Bruce as a friend and potential first crew on our upcoming sailing.

Fair winds!

p.s: newbie and no tapatalk yet, sorry for two pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Adventures of 'yeswhen', a boat with a lot of questions

Welcome and good luck!!

Rick

Neat boat. Looks very much like a Scheel 30.
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

Welcome to the forum. Some interior shots would be nice.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Some interior shots would be nice.
    Will happen soon, just getting the paperwork today and starting to get in it!

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    If it was built around there there (Taren Point/ Caringbah) it may be Quilkey Brothers they were the best
    As far as we've found out, it was built on Mr. Stewart's backyard, with apparent help from the neighboorhood to turn it around and major movements. It also sailed to Lord Howe Island pretty much after launch to celebrate the built.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Welcome along mate.
    I saw in the antipodean thread you are getting a HIN? If its moored in NSW it must have a HIN already.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Welcome along mate.
    I saw in the antipodean thread you are getting a HIN? If its moored in NSW it must have a HIN already.
    Gypsie, no, it doesn't as the owner was the one who built it and aparently before 73(?) or a similar year there was no need to have a HIN to register.

Done the first step towards it though, smile while paying the fee and in the next days someone will come around and pierce through somwhere to give royal numbers to this humble hull.

I rather not do it, but it is not possible for us to change registration name without a HIN!

In the mid 90s I bought a boat that was built in the early 80s. Had to get a HIN. No drama at all. Cost maybe a couple of hundred dollars, but I just called a guy who does it and he did it. Getting Australian registration which is necessary to depart Australian waters was more difficult. But being a bit lawyerly, I read the rules carefully and found that actual registration is not required, just an application for registration. So I applied. And left. No problemo.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

It’s no big problem. The RTA has a list of HIN plate attachers. They fasten one to the transom and stash another one out of sight inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Getting Australian registration which is necessary to depart Australian waters was more difficult. But being a bit lawyerly, I read the rules carefully and found that actual registration is not required, just an application for registration. So I applied. And left. No problemo.

thats interesting! Did you have your rego by time you arrived? Did you ever get it? Was this to PNG?

edit. Sorry for the thread drift. I thought we were in the antipodes thread
    Last edited by Geftb; 04-30-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    thats interesting! Did you have your rego by time you arrived? Did you ever get it? Was this to PNG?

I’ve confused antipodes with ozpol a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post

No never completed the rego. They let me bring it home again which was nice.

I'm watching this thread in eager anticipation. I really like the boat and the story of the boat. I really like the new owners, too. More boat photos are always welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Coming along soon! Phone died but plenty of discoveries in lockers including Stanley screwdriver sets, full plumbing bag, full electronics miscelaneous stuff, plenty of spare pumps, hoses...

Highlights were probably getting the kero stove running (lucky on the sailing through the southern ocean this kind of stove was on board) after figuring out that the pressure is built with a bike pump! No wonder we found like three yesterday, we thought Mr. Stewart used to be a bike fanatic!
    Heres a picture of the beast now that Ive got the phone running:

IMG_0869.jpg

And heres one of the detailed air pressure intake:

IMG_0870.jpg

We've gone as far as the V-berth lockers, and there was enough to exhaust anyone. That and all the bits that I fund deep below including engine sacrificial anodes and plenty of good wiring.

The biggest surprise was to find three beers deep down in one of those lockers. Gone already!

Tomorrow we'll grt the HIN done and we'll see how the rego stuff goes afterwards. That includes a little movement from the mooring to a public pontoon and back. Testing out wind awareness skills!

Bruce, thanks for the advice about that place you mentioned, we'll keep it in mind for the next movements, althoigh we've found an OK deal here for the next month that allows us to work straight and getting all done. Maybe you can be our pilot for a sail up that way? Whatcha' say?

thanks everybody, and feel free to drift around here. All welcome.

I'm in for a sail to Lemon Tree Passage any time at all

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

He will get that stove tamed in no time at all and makes a great coffee too!

Week 1:

It has been a long and exhausting seven days of landing on this beautiful home that is now our boat. For the goods and for the bads, she's for us what we are for her, and we are willing to learn as much as she want to teach us and she shall sail like she has been built to.

From the begginning the process has been intense, since there was a lot of stuff left behind and to us its important to get everything sorted before we get stuff back together forgetting what and where they are. We've also performed an intense and exhausting cleaning of all roofs, walls and top-of-horizontal timber pieces that surround the hull in order to cleanse out the whole area.

I have managed to fill up three 1L yoghurt containers with little nuts, bolts, o-rings and misc stuff that I've found everywhere, as well as the find of 4 different screwdrivers, one of them sitting in water for so long that the handle and the actual steel had the same size (from rust). The place where the prop shaft comes inside the hull (another name to be remembered, getting there) has a sump of itself, and it was full to the top (I had to twist the grease to stop the drip, but I bet noone had done it in at least 6 months). When I cleared it I discovered the coolant lid of the (I imagine) old engine growing a small universe of itself down there (see pic below).

In this week we have discovered a lot: that there's a quite battery-efficient fridge system (ozefridge) installed that might come handy one day, that there's a hot water system / calorifier that we're going to remove - along with the twisted madness of pipes and cables going to electrical pumps everywhere, that the wiring is horribly arranged, as well as very impractical, that there's a lot of white led's in remote places, that the owner installed over old, but did not get rid of it...

And we found a lot of good useful stuff. Spanners, screwdrivers, all sorts of assorted tools, a good number of chisels, a whole toolbox of untidy items, a quite tidy organisation of screws of different sizes, spare mooring lines, a storm jib, a bbq, three anchors, a foldable bucket...

Probably the most challenging of all areas has been accessing and cleaning what we've named as "the cave". Under the cockpit area, there's quite a narrow but hollow area that is as hard to work on as an area can get. It is there where the hot water system is sitting and It just takes too much space. I see a lot of potential for storage there, though, and the timber in that area shows that the cockpit has undergone a major refit not too long ago.

Amongst the treasurefind that we've been performing there has been some elements that I have no idea what they are. I will post them after the lot of pictures.

This post has been a bit scattered, but I hope there's some more sense with pictures attached. Tomorrow or the day after we'll take some 'magazine' ones to show her beautiful interior properly.

Here she is getting pierced by bureaucrazy (HIN)
    IMG_0948.jpg

Under the first step, an "engine box" with a sweet set of spares. The impeller was from the old engine, we believe, so we got two of the good ones now.
    IMG_0958.jpg

We won't be short on winch handles:
    IMG_0959.jpg

A detail of an empty locker (port aft in v-berth)
    IMG_0960.jpg

Assorted stanley screwdriver set:
    IMG_0961.jpg

A detail of the led ballast under where the anchor chain sits. I am steel to understand the science of it being there but if someone would like to shine some light feel free:

IMG_0962.jpg

A view of how it sits normally:

IMG_0966.jpg

Anchor locker from the bow

IMG_0964.jpg

Assorted products found somewhere:

IMG_0963.jpg

Spares for Patria Stove:

IMG_0970.jpg

Plumber's box (sits in the bow)

IMG_0968.jpg

Mastpost detail (normally encased in wood)

IMG_0971.jpg

SSB:

IMG_0972.jpg

Spare mooring lines:

IMG_0974.jpg

Storm Jib (raised in the 'wrong' way to contemplate future rig arrangements as it's hank-on and there's a furling system for the genoa)

IMG_0975.jpg

Last but not least... the coolant cup found in the saltwater sump and the mentioned calorifier:
    IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg

And now the questions... what are this things and what could one use them for?

"Cyalume lightstick"

IMG_0900.jpg

This item is very intriguing... I thought it was a magnet at the end but no! It extends like a car antenna and it has that white plastic like that can be threaded somehow...

IMG_0952.jpg

Im pretty sure that this is for oil of some sorts... but perhaps from the old engine?

IMG_0949.jpg

Similar to this, I just managed to learn about the anodes on the engine on board (Beta 20) but this one sure looks like it's from a bigger beast..

IMG_0950.jpg

On my favour I've gotta say that there's no growing up around sailing or having a sailing family background... and I say this because i'm sure that this has something to do with sails but unsure what.
    IMG_0956.jpg

More questions in the next chapter!

the light sticks are for emergency lighting without power or flame.
    the antenna does look like a power retractable type from a car radio.
    the brass pump might be for engine oil changes, but it also looks like a water pump for galley sink.
    the anode looks to be a spare for the hot water heater.
    don't know about the last thing...

The last thing is a feeder for guiding a sail luff into a track.

You might need some onshore storage. Maybe buy a clapped out van and park it somewhere safe and convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeR View Post
    And now the questions... what are this things and what could one use them for?

"Cyalume lightstick"

IMG_0900.jpg

This item is very intriguing... I thought it was a magnet at the end but no! It extends like a car antenna and it has that white plastic like that can be threaded somehow...

IMG_0952.jpg

Im pretty sure that this is for oil of some sorts... but perhaps from the old engine?

IMG_0949.jpg

Similar to this, I just managed to learn about the anodes on the engine on board (Beta 20) but this one sure looks like it's from a bigger beast..

IMG_0950.jpg

On my favour I've gotta say that there's no growing up around sailing or having a sailing family background... and I say this because i'm sure that this has something to do with sails but unsure what.
    IMG_0956.jpg

More questions in the next chapter!

Looks like you're having fun! The lead in the bow would be there to balance the boat, probably to compensate for a heavier engine or other weight further aft. The brass pump is indeed for pumping out the oil sump. You should find a copper tube that screws onto the bottom. There are better ways to pump out the sump but the Fynspray pump works alright - just slow and awkward.

Welcome here at Lemon Tree with Bruce aboard any time.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    You might need some onshore storage. Maybe buy a clapped out van and park it somewhere safe and convenient.

Indeed. And when I show the size of water and fuel tanks and location (under stb and port bunk in main saloon) then all spacing goes just to almost nothing.

The salvation army around here is very happy to see us once every two days. And so are the collectors of the free stuff we leave on a box at the boat ramp nearby.

Once the water heater (already on Gumtree) is removed there's quite good space for spares and others under the cockpit area.

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    the light sticks are for emergency lighting without power or flame.
    the antenna does look like a power retractable type from a car radio.
    the brass pump might be for engine oil changes, but it also looks like a water pump for galley sink.
    the anode looks to be a spare for the hot water heater.
    don't know about the last thing...

Thanks! Hot water heater should not need an anode as far as I know as the water to be used is coolant -but- the manual indicates that is not recommendable to use raw water since it will decrease the unit's life, but it doesn't say not to do it. So yes, might be.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Looks like you're having fun! The lead in the bow would be there to balance the boat, probably to compensate for a heavier engine or other weight further aft. The brass pump is indeed for pumping out the oil sump. You should find a copper tube that screws onto the bottom. There are better ways to pump out the sump but the Fynspray pump works alright - just slow and awkward.

Welcome here at Lemon Tree with Bruce aboard any time.

Rick

Before I forget, Thanks Chris for the feeder tip. We'll see if there's a use for it in the future.

Rick,
    Understood! Checking out pictures, it might be the spare for the current engine or the spare from the older one, as the beta20 has it built-in
    IMG_0977.jpg.

Anyway I'm visiting beta marine here and I'll ask them about it.

We like the idea of visiting Lemon Tree for repairs but this is what we got as an answer and we're a bit tight in time to make it:

"We will be closed for slipping from the 21th of May for approx 6 weeks for maintenance of the slipway. However we will still be here through that time"

Any other options around there?

Thanks again,

Jorge

Thanks! Hot water heater should not need an anode as far as I know as the water to be used is coolant -but- the manual indicates that is not recommendable to use raw water since it will decrease the unit's life, but it doesn't say not to do it. So yes, might be.

The anode would be for the potable water side of the system. Most domestic water heaters have them.

The sail slide guide thing would probably be for the furling genoa.

Last edited by Phil Y; 05-08-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

That lead in the bow is odd.
    To induce hogging perhaps?
    Looks like 60kgs or 70kgs?
    If yer really curious (I am) bring it amidships and see what it does to the waterline.

I just hooked up a small 12v compressor to my kero stove. I'll install it with a push and hold button switch. Works a treat on the bench at home!!

Cool adventure
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Good idea with the compressor.

Before I forget, Thanks Chris for the feeder tip. We'll see if there's a use for it in the future.

Rick,
    Understood! Checking out pictures, it might be the spare for the current engine or the spare from the older one, as the beta20 has it built-in
    IMG_0977.jpg.

Anyway I'm visiting beta marine here and I'll ask them about it.

We like the idea of visiting Lemon Tree for repairs but this is what we got as an answer and we're a bit tight in time to make it:

"We will be closed for slipping from the 21th of May for approx 6 weeks for maintenance of the slipway. However we will still be here through that time"

Any other options around there?

Thanks again,

Jorge

Yes, try Cove Marine. They're really the best option for an extended haulout around here. You might also try some boatyards in Lake Macquarie, which might be cheaper than Cove Marine.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, try Cove Marine. They're really the best option for an extended haulout around here. You might also try some boatyards in Lake Macquarie, which might be cheaper than Cove Marine.

Rick

Cool, thx for the tips, we'll start contemplating options soon.

Gypsie, what system do you have on your kero stove? How would you normally build the pressure? On ours is with a bicycle-type pump and valve, and so far the best way that I found to get the pressure of is to unscrew a little the 'pipe' from the pump and let it release slowly.

I've tried with the back of a spoon once and the two fingers I was holding it with smelt like kero for quite some hours.

Just opened another of the surprise lockers, this time a tiny one in the center of the saloon, and amongst a universe of elastics I also found this.

Can anyone shine some light and tell us what they are?