Thread: bird's-mouth spars

Default bird's-mouth spars

There's an excellent article in the new issue of WBM #268 on building bird's-mouth spars. I am soliciting info/experience/opinions/thoughts etc on the use of this technique.
    My project is an Oughtred Penny Fee rigged with the single sail lug set up shown in the plans;the mast is 15'3" x 3.125" maximum diameter.
    One of my specific questions is what is the minimum wall thickness for this; I am thinking straight lumber yard "one-by" VG fir. Which would give .75" minimum wall thickness.
    BTW, I have seen the WBM "computation" page which I believe they are posting with Duckworks bbm permission.
    Also I'm in northern California, so fir is readily available.
    thanks for your thoughts
    pvg

Default Re: bird's-mouth spars

I built a hollow mast of similar dimensions for my dory using one by spruce. It was not birdsmouth, I just beveled six staves. It was plenty stiff and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    I built a hollow mast of similar dimensions for my dory using one by spruce. It was not birdsmouth, I just beveled six staves. It was plenty stiff and strong.
    Hi John, that's interesting; that's how bamboo fishing rods are made. Most were (are) made solid end to end, but some were made with hollow butt sections to reduce weight.
    Thanks for the comment regarding strength and stiffness; those are obviously the qualities we're interested in here.
    pvg

No one seems interested so I'll close the thread
    pvg