Thread: Fairhaven Flyer 20

Default Fairhaven Flyer 20

I recently built and launched Alice Marie, a Fairhaven Flyer 20 designed by Sam Devlin. I added airtight storage compartments under the thwarts, as well as a bow compartment. I also added a temporary brace in the stern to support mirrors, a compass and a navigational light for longer trips.

sling3.jpgporch.jpgaction4.JPGstern2.jpg

Default Re: Fairhaven Flyer 20

Very nice! The nav lights are an excellent idea.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Beautiful boat! How does she go?

Really nice job! Looks beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Beautiful boat! How does she go?
    Brian, she's a delight to row! As a solo rower with no gear I was initially concerned about stability. Once loaded for an overnight trip for two she handled great. We easily handled a variety of winds, wakes, and currents, yet light enough to easily beach and pull ashore. The reviews I found mentioned averaging about 4 knots, which is pretty close to what we've seen.

One construction note on the piantedosi drop in rowing stations. The outriggers are secured to oarlock sockets on the gunwales. There are also "L" brackets at each end of the rail that rest on the hull. These brackets raise the rail about 6 inches off the hull, so not high enough to fit over the ~10 inch high thwarts. I had access to a plasma cutter to make metal extensions to raise the seat just above the thwarts. Otherwise I would have needed help from a machine shop to span the difference. Now that we've adjusted the seats they work great. I shouldn't really call them "drop in", but it takes less than 5 minutes for one person to install or uninstall both of them.