Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boatsbgood
    • Apr 2017

Re: My H28

Understand that concern! The thing is to not let the coating fail, but to sand and recoat before that happens. A boat can go many years without the total take-back-to wood you are doing. Its all about not waiting until it fails. Encapsulated construction (laminated, and glass/epoxy over) can go decades without the need to do so.
    Others will know (and perhaps chime in?) more about how long a well maintained, more traditional carvel hull can go if the coatings are not allowed to fail. It looks as though your boat is worth some effort at this point, and in my view it helpful to think about boat work as a process, not a solution, and that if the process is sustained over time, the boat will live and serve well over the long term...

Comment

• cejenkinsjr
      • Oct 2016

don't want to hijack the thread but here is a recent picture the day before we lifted and flipped. havenpreflip.jpg
      for what it might be worth Buek, I used Epifanes, two part epoxy, but this is cold molded, so I don't know if that would affect your decision. I rolled this on and I can't say enough good things about the epifanes products

Comment

• Jay Greer
        • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=James Chilman;5877204]I painted my H28 with a house hold single pack enamel (Dulux here in Australia). It didn't level out as well as the marine ones are suppose to but the budget has been slim of late. Also I don't mind a bit of the "work boat" look.
        It's lasted over a year so far with no bad effect. I do expect to re-do it a lot more often than a marine paint.
        Hopefully next time I can get the proper stuff.

James, L.Francis designed the spreaders on the H28 to swing free so as to allow a self adjusting alignment of the weather shrouds, when under load.
        The system is simple and prevents gyration of the the rig from pulling the fastenings of the tang plates at the spreaders. This solves a problem that can cause a mast to fail at the spreaders. Maybe it is focal distortion but it appears that your spreaders droop a bit and that is not a good thing if it is so! The spreader tip should bisect the angle of the shroud. I hope it is just the angle of the photo!
        Jay

[IMG]

Comment

• Jay Greer
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Buek's
          Top sides are very tight Jay. Just hate the ideal of having to rescrape and sand in a couple of years.
          Normally it would be wise to spline the seams before applying Sterling or Awlgrip two part topside coating. That kind of prep is expensive but as you can see, it was successful on "Bright Star". I am glad that the former owner chose to go that route. I was concerned about the seams near the bow on your boat that appear to have cracked. But, if you are confident then, by all means go for the two part. Here is a bit of a teaser that shows our H28 after a hull buffing and bottom job. For those of you who might think the life lines are overkill, they are required for off shore PHRF racing.
          Wishing you a shiny set of topsides!
          Jay
          Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-27-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Buek's
            • Jun 2018

Cejenkinsjr u can add pictures like that anytime ot looks good.

Comment

• Buek's
              • Jun 2018

Jay you tease, I never get tired of looking at "Bright Star".

Comment

• Jay Greer
                • Nov 2004

Thanks Buek! Indeed, I never tire of looking at boats designed by LFH!
                Jay

Comment

• cejenkinsjr
                  • Oct 2016

Bright star! I need a smoke...

Comment

• Buek's
                    • Jun 2018

I've heard him referred to a Naval artist/architect to me I think of his designs as simple elegance. That would be a cool name for one of his boats.

Comment

• Jay Greer
                      • Nov 2004

"Simple Elegance" really nails it! Here is one of my favorites, "Araminta" Please excuse the small drift not really intended here!
                      Jay

Comment

• Buek's
                        • Jun 2018

I agree there Jay and elegance really does describe her, but I think I need to when the lottery or something and hire you as a consultant and we'll build a replica of "Live Yankee".

Comment

• Buek's
                          • Jun 2018

Yep we are drifting, but I'm bored and cant get out to the boat till this weekend.

Comment

• Jay Greer
                            • Nov 2004

"Yankee" is the R Class sloop that was defeated by West Coast skipper Matt Walsh sailing the Ted Geary R Boat "Pirate" at the Larchmont Nationals in 1929. The next Herreshoff's design was "Live Yankee" and was innovative in that L. Francis used web framing and multiple stringers, which he called "Longitudinal Framing" just as in aircraft construction.
                            And yes, I am guilty of a drift here! So, lets get back to your H28. What is her name? What number is the hull?
                            Jay
                            Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-27-2019, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Jay Greer
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by cejenkinsjr
                              Bright star! I need a smoke...
                              "Bright Star" was her name when she was first launched. By the time we aquired her, she was named "Jin Lung" which means Lucky Dragon.
                              Her owner, at that time, owned a hotel in Hong Kong. We chose to give her original name back to her.
                              Jay

Comment

• Buek's
                                • Jun 2018

Cassandra

Comment

Working...