Thread: Winslow ketch restoration project

Default Winslow ketch restoration project

The boat in question is Parthenia, built to Ralph E. Winslow's Tusitala design by Northeast Shipbuilding in MA in 1946.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...894662368.html

Just to be clear, this is not my boat, and I have no financial interest, I just don't want to see her cut up.

I saw her on Craigslist and went to look at her last weekend. This is a very worthwhile project for someone who has the means, skills and time to take it on. (I'm very tempted, but presently only have 2 out of 3 of those. I'll leave it at that.) Make no mistake, this is not a patch and paint project; a thorough restoration will be required. She will need to be re-framed and re-decked at a minimum, and I have my doubts about the deadwood and stem areas of the backbone. She has a cast iron keel that will need to be stripped back to bare metal and sealed, but appears otherwise to be intact - no cracks that I could see. Construction is douglas fir on oak. The good news is that the current owner of approximately 10 years has done a nice job of preserving her. She's out of the weather in a hoop shed with the garboards off. Current owner has stripped out the interior, removed the after deck and replaced deck beams and carlins aft of the companionway. Otherwise things are pretty much original. Planking is in quite good shape, although very dried out, of course. All spars, rigging and deck hardware appear to be present. She was bronze fastened for the most part, but keel bolts are stainless steel (obviously not original) and the backbone unfortunately was put together with galvanized bolts, so there is some iron sickness in parts of the backbone. There is an old Atomic gas engine still installed, no idea what kind of shape that is in.

This is a superb design by a great designer and really deserves to be brought back to life. Properly restored this will be a true go-anywhere boat in a small enough package to be economically sailed and maintained. A real diamond in the rough for the right person.
    Last edited by belviderewoods; 07-04-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Default Re: Winslow ketch restoration project

Sweet looking boat - though I notice it's a drawing not actual photographs. No - I don't have the means or time at this point in my life (already have too many boats!).

"Cold Hollow" is an apt description of Belvidere
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Finally got some photos to give this thread some context. Somebody really needs to save this boat. Photos of hardware - all bronze, mostly original - are forthcoming. I'll post those as soon as I get them from the owner.

Last edited by belviderewoods; 05-24-2019 at 10:17 AM.

More pix

...and a few more

I see the posting's expired. Did somebody grab the project?

...I see the posting's expired. Did somebody grab the project?

Nope, she's still looking for a new home. Will be posting more pictures as I can.

Some design drawings that the owner found in the Mystic Seaport library...

Last edited by belviderewoods; 05-24-2019 at 10:31 AM.

...and here is the WB Registry entry for Sally Forth, Parthenia's sister ship: http://www.woodenboat.com/register-w...ts/sally-forth

That is a salty little ketch. Just perfect for summer cruising without breaking the bank.

Great looking boat

Seems to be a very good restoration project for someone who is handy with tools! If that is a Gray Atomic 4 engine, they are pretty bullit proof and simple to work on! She looks to be a boat that still has life in her yet!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Seems to be a very good restoration project for someone who is handy with tools! If that is a Gray Atomic 4 engine, they are pretty bullit proof and simple to work on! She looks to be a boat that still has life in her yet!
    Jay
    Very much so, Jay. It would be a crime to see her broken up. Especially since so much of the original fixtures and hardware remain, which the current owner has carefully removed and saved.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Looks like a wreck to me. 10 years drying out in a barn. Stripped. Needs new deck, frames and backbone. Unless she is of extraordinary historical value why would anyone pour a couple of hundred thousand dollars into this?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

She ‘s toast.
    Old galv bolts in the stem n stern knees . That really means rust damaged oak keel.
    Got the drawings and offsets...building new will be less work.

As we all know, an in depth survey is the best way to go to evaluate such a boat for, possible, restoration!
    Jay

Phil Y: "Looks like a wreck to me...Unless she is of extraordinary historical value why would anyone pour a couple of hundred thousand dollars into this?"
    wizbang 13: "
    She ‘s toast...building new will be less work."

Since when did economics and common sense enter into the business of restoring old wooden boats? She was built for a journalist who wanted a home afloat to inspire him and serve as a mobile base for his creativity. The accommodations plan includes a custom writing table with a bespoke case for the owner's beloved typewriter. Does that constitute extraordinary historical value? No. But, then again, perhaps to some it does.

Easier to build a new one? Of course. So what? One either values these old boats for what they are or doesn't. One is either batty enough to spend the time and money to re-float an old beauty like this or not.

Phil and wiz are absolutely right: restoring this boat would be an entirely impractical undertaking. If I've represented it as otherwise then I should not have. For some, however, the impracticality just adds to the appeal. For my part I hope some thoroughly impractical reader of this thread is at the moment in a position to take a tilt at this particular windmill and save this old jewel of a boat.

Indeed, some vessels are not of enough historical value to warrant the expense and effort of restoration. Restoration without a plan, can become either a hobby or an obsession that leads to all manner of pitfalls. One needs to put passion aside and choose wisely! I wonder how many frames are still sound.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Indeed, some vessels are not of enough historical value to warrant the expense and effort of restoration. Restoration without a plan, can become either a hobby or an obsession that leads to all manner of pitfalls. One needs to put passion aside and choose wisely! I wonder how many frames are still sound.
    Jay
    That sounds suspiciously like applying logic to the decision.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Just giving this thread a bump to see if I can drum up any interest. The owner has updated the Craigslist ad: https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...894662368.html

It was something seeing this post. I stumbled on it quite by accident. My parents owned Parthenia from 1962 until 1972 when she was sold and moved to Southern Maine where she stayed until the present owner moved her to Vermont. His intention was to fully restore her and get her sailing again. Seeing these pictures was sad, but brought back many memories of learning to sail as a youngster. If I can find some pictures I will see if I can post. It would be too bad to see her broken up. She was and could be again a great boat

Welcome aboard Apeterson, thanks for sharing some of your memories.

Would love to see some pictures of Parthenia in her glory days if you can find them, Apeterson1334. Thanks!
    Last edited by belviderewoods; 09-04-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Here are some pictures of the hardware and some of the interior bits that have been carefully removed and stored by the current owner. Time is getting short for Parthenia, I'm afraid.
    (Click on thumbnails to view full-sized images.)

...and a few more