Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant on

Default Rant on

Some bastard stole my receiver hitch.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Rant on

Rant off. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Maybe Carma will return the favor...
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Clap, clap!

I found a stinger with 2" ball lying in the middle of the road a few months ago.

You sure your pin didn't fall out?

Or do you mean the actual receiver, unbolted from the vehicle?

How low can you get. I take mine off and put it in the cab. Not that much crime around here, but you never know who's out there.

I almost wish someone would steal mine. To prevent such atrocity, I bought one of those locking pins for the apparatus. I naively thought that the rubber O-rings and protective plastic cover over the lock mechanism would keep the road salt at bay, but no; now the damned thing is galvanically welded together and the tow ball 'stinger' permanently attached to the receiver. I guess I'm gonna hafta get my mechanic warm up his torch and cut the bugger off. Dang!
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

i have the locking pin... but there's no road salt so i'm good. that pin is probably 20 years old and i can still unlock it pretty easily. sometimes it needs a squirt of wd40.

I leave it inside the Jeep because too many people walk close astern in the parking lot. Even with the spare tire back there they manage to bang a shin on the hitch and then yell at me. Also this keeps the ball from corrosion-welding itself in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I leave it inside the Jeep because too many people walk close astern in the parking lot. Even with the spare tire back there they manage to bang a shin on the hitch and then yell at me. Also this keeps the ball from corrosion-welding itself in place.
    Just so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Just so.
    Have one of our physicists work out how much energy that will impart to your scone if you are involved in an accident with it inside your car. I remember a woman being killed by a book that was on the back parcel shelf. It karate chopped her in the neck in an accident.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I always remove mine when not in use. I have two incidents that convinced me to do so.

One involved me walking behind my boss' car late one night and hitting my shin on trailer hitch, it left a dent in my shin for months. The Second involved a light car accident I was involved in. Almost no damage to the car, except for a hole that was punched straight through the grill to the condenser and radiator from the monster hitch that was on the truck I tapped.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I use a 5/8" bolt and a self locking (oval, not a nylock) nut with red loctite. You need an impact gun and a wrench to remove it in about three seconds. Or about 10 minutes with two hand wrenches, one click at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Have one of our physicists work out how much energy that will impart to your scone if you are involved in an accident with it inside your car. I remember a woman being killed by a book that was on the back parcel shelf. It karate chopped her in the neck in an accident.
    Why would someone keep anything heavy up on the parcel shelf? Mine lives wedged behind the rear drivers-side seat in the crewcab pickup. I suppose it could get loose in a wreck, but the rear seat would have to become detached first. Which would indicate some very large problems. One buddy keeps his tucked similarly under the drivers seat. I do worry sometimes, though, about all the gear I carry in the back seat area. Most of it just sitting on the floor, or on the seats. In a serious wreck, there could be multiple projectiles in play.

This used to be a fair portion of my job.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    This used to be a fair portion of my job.
    I don't think Old Mate will listen... but try anyhow. Tell him to take the lump of free steel out of the cabin, eh?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

RIP Early cowboy movie actor Tom Mix
    On October 12, 1940, after visiting Pima County Sheriff Ed Echols in Tucson, Arizona,[3] Mix headed north towards Phoenix on U.S. Highway 80 (now Arizona State Route 79), driving his 1937 Cord 812Phaeton. He stopped to call his agent at the Oracle Junction Inn, a popular gambling and drinking establishment, then continued toward Phoenix. About eighteen miles south of Florence, Mix came upon construction barriers at a bridge washed away by a flash flood. Unable to stop in time, his car swerved twice, then overturned in a gully. A large aluminum suitcase containing money, traveler's checks, and jewels, situated on the package shelf behind his head, hurtled forward and struck him, breaking his neck.[3] He was 60 years old.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

I used to back the trailer into the water enough to immerse the hitch in seawater. Then I let it dry. I repeated that three days later to take the boat out of the water. A couple of months later I tried to get the hitch off. It took 20 minutes of pounding with a 10 pound block of steel that I have laying around to get the danged thing off.

That would be one way to keep it from getting stolen.

I've had to use a dremel tool to cut off a couple of locking pins so I don't bother with them anymore.

I also don't back the truck as far anymore. Instead just enough to get the bottom inch of the tires wet.
    Will

How about a receiver hitch lock and watching your step?

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    How about a receiver hitch lock and watching your step?
    Leaving the stinger in place is not just hazardous to the owner.

I sat in the parking lot of the local retail hardware store the other day, talking on the phone, and watched two different people bark their shins on a drop-stinger attached to a MonsterTruck parked near the front door. The second, an older lady, ended up on the ground.

The truck owner was coming out as I was going in - so I mentioned the hazard to him. He said, 'But I use it every day'. I wondered aloud what he'd drive after losing the lawsuit that was on the horizon. He was concerned enough that he went back in the store with me, and went over to the woman to apologize.

Hence, the "watch your step" advice...

The hitch absolutely has to come out when not in use. As mentioned - shins & intense pain. As far as removal goes - a little grease goes a long ways. Problem is that any hitches need to get wrapped in a rag to prevent the grease getting everywhere.

I have a bed mounted lockable toolbox that hitches, chains, binders, straps, etc. live in. A few years ago I came out of a gas station in MA to find 2 guys trying to pick up the toolbox from the bed. Not only did it have 400+ lbs of stuff in it, it's screwed to the bed in 4 places. I watched them try to lift it for a while (it was quite entertaining) & then walked over to the truck & lifted one of the lids. It wasn't locked... They stared at me for a sec & then took off in a big hurry.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Having those booby traps sticking out has been one of my pet peeves for years. Owners should be fined.

Around here, where I swear there are more pickups than cars, it is remarkable to see a truck without a tow ball sticking out of the stern.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

"Old mate" is still a "term of endearment" then?

Perhaps you should just stick with "dumb cluck"

In the latitude of salted roads, it's good habit to remove the hitchball from the receiver when not in use, lest it rusts in place and requires a torch for removal.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I think keeping the ball mount on one's light duty truck when it's not being used with a trailer is asking for trouble. It also borders on thoughtless if not rude in the tight parallel parking conditions of a big city but it's commonplace around here. In the event that I'm parked in by a truck with a hitch attached, I will sometimes remove it and put it in the bed depending on jujst how tightly parked in I am.

I normally try to avoid further issues of karma but I once got parked into a spot by a moron who had other options in the lot. Walking up to my car it was quite obvious that he'd parked my car in so he could avoid walking an extra 50 yards. The difference between getting in and out of my spot was a function of the ball mount's length. I waited in frustration for the owner to show up all the while getting more and more steamed. It was a work day and I had appointments to keep. Then it occurred to me to see if removing the hitch was an option and if it would make the difference I needed to worm out. It was just enough to wiggle out using a bunch of back and forth action. So there I was with his hitch on the ground behind his truck.

Would you have
    a: remounted it?
    b: tossed it in the back of his truck so he would have it but maybe get the message that there had been "an issue?"
    c: tossed it in the bushes so nobody would see it and steal it?
    d. Thrown it through his windshield so it would be in his truck when he got there?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I would have done "A" or "B". But there might not be enough time to do "A" depending on traffic. But with my luck he would be coming to his truck when I was taking the hitch off and see me do it.

What about painting the ball hitch a bright orange?
    Will

I consider the ball and stinger to be part of the trailer. Have several different trailers, none of them use the same combo of ball size and stinger drop, so those parts just stay with the trailer generally...

"Have one of our physicists work out how much energy that will impart to your scone if you are involved in an accident with it inside your car. I remember a woman being killed by a book that was on the back parcel shelf. It karate chopped her in the neck in an accident." [#12]

Were I reckless enough to leave the thing loose about in the rear, that could be a hazard. But, like many vehicles, the Jeep has a number of nicely securable compartments under the back deck and the hitch is one of several heavy items at home down there. There's also the axes and bow saw, not to mention the jack, pump, and portable winch which I'd be loath to have flying about during sudden deceleration.

It's a Jeep, not a big rig, so I'm set up for a max of 2000# gross trailer weight and 200# tongue weight. Makes for a hitch that takes me about 30 seconds to pull out of storage and slip into place. People with really big rigs that are used all the time, like a boatyard truck rigged for a pintle hook is more likely to have something a bit harder to take on and off even if set up as a receiver. Receiver hitches up to Class IV (10,000#) are the sort of thing on the back of a pick-up that should be taken off when not in use. It's just not that hard.

Of course, various fashion statements abound. Tastefully, on Cape Cod it's mostly seaweed and bits of line wound on the hitch. Not the bull's balls.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

My 3 ball trailer hitch disappeared off my truck for a day or so last summer. When it magically returned there was a quart of rum and a thank you note in the back of the truck. I still have no idea who borrowed it.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I think keeping the ball mount on one's light duty truck when it's not being used with a trailer is asking for trouble. It also borders on thoughtless if not rude in the tight parallel parking conditions of a big city but it's commonplace around here. In the event that I'm parked in by a truck with a hitch attached, I will sometimes remove it and put it in the bed depending on jujst how tightly parked in I am.

I normally try to avoid further issues of karma but I once got parked into a spot by a moron who had other options in the lot. Walking up to my car it was quite obvious that he'd parked my car in so he could avoid walking an extra 50 yards. The difference between getting in and out of my spot was a function of the ball mount's length. I waited in frustration for the owner to show up all the while getting more and more steamed. It was a work day and I had appointments to keep. Then it occurred to me to see if removing the hitch was an option and if it would make the difference I needed to worm out. It was just enough to wiggle out using a bunch of back and forth action. So there I was with his hitch on the ground behind his truck.

Would you have
    a: remounted it?
    b: tossed it in the back of his truck so he would have it but maybe get the message that there had been "an issue?"
    c: tossed it in the bushes so nobody would see it and steal it?
    d. Thrown it through his windshield so it would be in his truck when he got there?
    Put it on the hood.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Today, roughly 40% of the vehicles on the highway have receiver hitches – and although they are necessary for towing – they reduce rear end collision damage and INCREASE the risk of whiplash by creating a stiff "crash pulse".

In a European study by Chalmers with data from Folksam and Autoliv they concluded that a vehicle equipped with a receiver hitch (tow bar) increases the risk of whiplash by 22% if it is hit in the rear. And in the United States the most frequent vehicle accident is the rear end collision.

Question in litigation crazed nation ~ Can someone sue Paul for Paul’s hitch if now properly mounted on a new vechile which will mostly cause soft tissue neck and head damage when they suffer a rear end impact since Paul didn’t properly secure it in the first place?
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Or the grill. *they* love it through the grill...
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....