Thread: Estinction Rebellion

Default Estinction Rebellion

In London.

Rising sea levels lift all Pepto-Boats.

Default Re: Estinction Rebellion

Central London was bought to a halt
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47935416
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Central London was bought to a halt
    bummer
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Estinction ?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Not an odd typo for me. I touchtype and this key pad is something like 90% standard size. Even though the 'f' and 'j' keys have little raised dots, my fingers sometimes come adrift and my left ring finger goes to 'x' rather than 's'.

So many related stories. No rebellion here.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/09/polit...ing/index.html

Washington (CNN)A House Oversight Committee hearing to examine the impact of climate change on national security -- including military bases ravaged by extreme weather events -- devolved into partisan sniping, personal attacks and efforts to deny climate change represents a threat.

Committee chairman Elijah Cummings, a Maryland Democrat, opened the hearing by raising the record-breaking March floods at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska, home to US Strategic Command, and the wreckage Hurricane Florence inflicted in September on North Carolina's Camp LeJeune, where a Marine commander warned the impact of climate-related events has degraded Marine Corps readiness.
    Beyond the domestic impact, Cummings quoted Director of National Security Daniel Coats' assessment that heat waves, droughts and floods are likely to fuel competition for resources, social discontent, migration and tension between states.
    "There may be differences of opinion on how we should respond, but there should be no uncertainty about whether we respond," he said.

That proposition was never put to the test.
    Instead, the hearing became a surreal spectacle in which one side tried to address an issue that the other side largely refused to accept is valid.

Republicans used the hearing to assail Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the freshman New York Democrat, and the Green New Deal legislation she has championed. GOP members attacked the scientific consensus on climate change, argued Pentagon spending on climate preparedness is a waste of money, and complained the witness panel didn't include those anyone who denies climate change is a problem.
    Last edited by LeeG; 04-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.

No snow balls , but there was a fossil.

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/04/1...ional-security

Republicans made a big show of the fact that Massie has an engineering degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The conflict with Kerry arose when Massie tried to undermine Kerry's testimony on climate change because he has a political science degree from Yale.

Massie said, “I think it’s somewhat appropriate that somebody with a pseudoscience degree is here pushing pseudoscience in front of our committee today.”

During this hearing, Massie wasn’t alone in displaying bizarre logic to attack science and the reality of climate change. Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) apparently thought holding up a fossil disproved that humans are causing climate change.

“Climate change has been changing all through the life of this planet. I’ve got a fossil right here from Western Wyoming — a desert — but that once was under an ocean,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    So many related stories. No rebellion here.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/09/polit...ing/index.html

Washington (CNN)A House Oversight Committee hearing to examine the impact of climate change on national security -- including military bases ravaged by extreme weather events -- devolved into partisan sniping, personal attacks and efforts to deny climate change represents a threat.

Committee chairman Elijah Cummings, a Maryland Democrat, opened the hearing by raising the record-breaking March floods at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska, home to US Strategic Command, and the wreckage Hurricane Florence inflicted in September on North Carolina's Camp LeJeune, where a Marine commander warned the impact of climate-related events has degraded Marine Corps readiness.
    Beyond the domestic impact, Cummings quoted Director of National Security Daniel Coats' assessment that heat waves, droughts and floods are likely to fuel competition for resources, social discontent, migration and tension between states.
    "There may be differences of opinion on how we should respond, but there should be no uncertainty about whether we respond," he said.

That proposition was never put to the test.
    Instead, the hearing became a surreal spectacle in which one side tried to address an issue that the other side largely refused to accept is valid.

Republicans used the hearing to assail Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the freshman New York Democrat, and the Green New Deal legislation she has championed. GOP members attacked the scientific consensus on climate change, argued Pentagon spending on climate preparedness is a waste of money, and complained the witness panel didn't include those anyone who denies climate change is a problem.
    That's the hearing where Moronic Imbecile (R-KY) attacked John Kerry because he has a pseudo-science degree, right?

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    That's the hearing where Moronic Imbecile (R-KY) attacked John Kerry because he has a pseudo-science degree, right?

Jesus what a little prick.

Why does the US of A keep on electing these dipsticks?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Why does the US of A keep on electing these dipsticks?
    There is a segment of the population that wants to hold on to a world view that things should not change and new knowledge that affects short term reward is a threat.
    Pollution controls on cars is a threat, seatbelt and helmet regulations are a threat. Removing lead from gasoline is a threat. Regulations about lightbulbs is a threat. Regulations that limit resource extraction, consumption of energy and increases the price of energy is a threat. New regulations on methane emissions as a result of new knowledge about GHG and technology for detecting methane leaks is a threat.

Unfortunately the GOP has embraced this segment with an overlay of religious belief so as to promote willful ignorance.

Unfortunately the GOP has embraced this segment with an overlay of religious belief so as to promote willful ignorance.
    There are ways to promote willful ignorance without leading from the front.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

Sweet Mother of God reds are Stupid.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

An example of the steaming loads red voters elect to congress.

Jesus weeps.
    "In 1964, the GOP ceased to be the party of Lincoln and became the party of Southern whites. As I now look back with the clarity of hindsight, I am convinced that coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern Republican Party than all of the domestic and foreign policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts like me. This is what liberals have been saying for decades. I never believed them." -- Max Boot

No snow balls , but there was a fossil.

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/04/1...ional-security

Republicans made a big show of the fact that Massie has an engineering degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The conflict with Kerry arose when Massie tried to undermine Kerry's testimony on climate change because he has a political science degree from Yale.

Massie said, “I think it’s somewhat appropriate that somebody with a pseudoscience degree is here pushing pseudoscience in front of our committee today.”

During this hearing, Massie wasn’t alone in displaying bizarre logic to attack science and the reality of climate change. Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) apparently thought holding up a fossil disproved that humans are causing climate change.

“Climate change has been changing all through the life of this planet. I’ve got a fossil right here from Western Wyoming — a desert — but that once was under an ocean,” he said.
    Engineering is not necessarily science and neither is medicine, these days. Plenty of technicians ignorant of the philosophical basis. Plenty of laymen more worthy of being called scientists. That's because every positive number is greater than zero. That's science.

That's geology, i.e., uplift, tectonics generally. Though the weather is different underwater.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

I was hoping this thread was going to be about the three wright whale calf's birthed this spring off cape cod.