Thread: Building Lightning 15451 - Painting

Default Building Lightning 15451 - Painting

OK - the Lightning now has 1 coat of Epifanes Mono-urethane paint, and is shiny and looks good from afar. But there is a distinct and obvious roller texture that I would like to avoid in final 2 coats.

Based on advice from Epifanes tech, I used smooth 4-inch foam rollers and I did not tip with a brush. Based on advice in the best video I have seen (from Off Center Harbor), I did not thin the paint.

It was 70 degrees with 65 percent humidity in the garage when I painted and that temp was steady both before and after painting.

Prior to painting, after general cleaning, I wiped the sides with a damp sponge, then wiped them again with a lint free towel soaked with Naptha, and then went around one more time with a tack cloth. I also tacked off again about 6 ft ahead of where I was rolling.

I am wondering if there was some problem with my rolling technique? I rolled paint on in sections that were 2-3 ft wide, starting about a foot from the last section and worked toward the section I just did. I rolled until it was evenly applied and covered well, using a good bit of pressure. Then I did a pass with a very light touch both horizontally and vertically to get rid of roller edge ridges.

I also ended up with a lot of little lumps that are probably dust, but that is a problem for another day.

I couldn't get a great picture of the roller texture, but you can see it a little bit in the last two if you squint enough.

I am open to any and all ideas to improve the next two coats.

Mike

DSCN1987.jpg

DSCN1986.jpg

DSCN1985.jpg

Default Re: Building Lightning 15451 - Painting

You're standing too close, the boat looks great!

That's just waaaay too shiny! Looking really nice!

I've never achieved a spray smooth finish without tipping with a foam brush. One person rolls the other tips. If you are applying 2 more coats it can't hurt to try it on a section.

Well, the Epifanes tech guy says that I need to thin the mono-urethane 7-8 percent and to stop rolling the paint so much . . . that rolling the paint more than necessary causes the solvents to evaporate too quickly and interferes with the paint's ability to level itself.

I do have to admit that my varnish came out much better when I quickly laid it down and then left it alone. So I will try to do that better with the paint, too.

And I will try not to stand so close when looking at the paint.

You can't just roll paint. You have to tip it.

I realize that rolling and tipping is recommended by a lot of experts, including Artisan Boatworks, which has a video talking about the great results they get rolling and tipping Epifanes paint.

But the Epifanes tech guy tells me I should not tip the Mono-urethane. He says that, when they paint, they use the same 4-inch foam rollers and never tip. I don't know why . . . maybe it is something unique to the paint . . . .

What I do know is that, when I finally followed his advice on the varnishing, my results greatly improved, so I am going to do the 2nd coat his way and see what happens.

If I'm still not happy with the 2nd coat, I will probably give tipping a go on the 3rd coat.

Looks great. Give yourself a break.