Thread: Building Lightning 15451 - Painting

Default Building Lightning 15451 - Painting

OK - the Lightning now has 1 coat of Epifanes Mono-urethane paint, and is shiny and looks good from afar. But there is a distinct and obvious roller texture that I would like to avoid in final 2 coats.

Based on advice from Epifanes tech, I used smooth 4-inch foam rollers and I did not tip with a brush. Based on advice in the best video I have seen (from Off Center Harbor), I did not thin the paint.

It was 70 degrees with 65 percent humidity in the garage when I painted and that temp was steady both before and after painting.

Prior to painting, after general cleaning, I wiped the sides with a damp sponge, then wiped them again with a lint free towel soaked with Naptha, and then went around one more time with a tack cloth. I also tacked off again about 6 ft ahead of where I was rolling.

I am wondering if there was some problem with my rolling technique? I rolled paint on in sections that were 2-3 ft wide, starting about a foot from the last section and worked toward the section I just did. I rolled until it was evenly applied and covered well, using a good bit of pressure. Then I did a pass with a very light touch both horizontally and vertically to get rid of roller edge ridges.

I also ended up with a lot of little lumps that are probably dust, but that is a problem for another day.

I couldn't get a great picture of the roller texture, but you can see it a little bit in the last two if you squint enough.

I am open to any and all ideas to improve the next two coats.

Mike

DSCN1987.jpg

DSCN1986.jpg

DSCN1985.jpg

Default Re: Building Lightning 15451 - Painting

You're standing too close, the boat looks great!

That's just waaaay too shiny! Looking really nice!

I've never achieved a spray smooth finish without tipping with a foam brush. One person rolls the other tips. If you are applying 2 more coats it can't hurt to try it on a section.

Well, the Epifanes tech guy says that I need to thin the mono-urethane 7-8 percent and to stop rolling the paint so much . . . that rolling the paint more than necessary causes the solvents to evaporate too quickly and interferes with the paint's ability to level itself.

I do have to admit that my varnish came out much better when I quickly laid it down and then left it alone. So I will try to do that better with the paint, too.

And I will try not to stand so close when looking at the paint.

You can't just roll paint. You have to tip it.

I realize that rolling and tipping is recommended by a lot of experts, including Artisan Boatworks, which has a video talking about the great results they get rolling and tipping Epifanes paint.

But the Epifanes tech guy tells me I should not tip the Mono-urethane. He says that, when they paint, they use the same 4-inch foam rollers and never tip. I don't know why . . . maybe it is something unique to the paint . . . .

What I do know is that, when I finally followed his advice on the varnishing, my results greatly improved, so I am going to do the 2nd coat his way and see what happens.

If I'm still not happy with the 2nd coat, I will probably give tipping a go on the 3rd coat.

Looks great. Give yourself a break.

OK - I just did coat # 2 on one side. This time I thinned with Epifanes thinner as instructed by Epifanes tech. And I rolled and tipped. It was 70 degrees with 65 percent relative humidity.

The tipping took care of most of the orange peel problem, but now I have brush marks. Not too bad, be pretty easy to see. I started with 7 percent thinning and probably doubled that trying to get rid of the brush marks. It helped some but I didn't want to stray too far from the 7-8% that Epifanes tech recommended.

And I have another problem . . . the lines between each section I painted are very obvious. Not sure if that means there is too much paint there or I wasn't going fast enough to keep a wet edge. I tried to avoid the too much paint problem by starting my rolling about 18 inches away from the last section, working backward so I wouldn't have that much left on the roller when I got to the edge.

If it is the wet edge problem, is it time for Penetrol to slow things down a bit?

Thanks,

Mike

Tipping requires 2 people to work. Then there is never a start and stop section. The roller rolls continuously and the person on the brush does the same.

What kind of brush did you use? It must be a foam brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Seibert View Post
    OK - I just did coat # 2 on one side. This time I thinned with Epifanes thinner as instructed by Epifanes tech. And I rolled and tipped. It was 70 degrees with 65 percent relative humidity.

The tipping took care of most of the orange peel problem, but now I have brush marks. Not too bad, be pretty easy to see. I started with 7 percent thinning and probably doubled that trying to get rid of the brush marks. It helped some but I didn't want to stray too far from the 7-8% that Epifanes tech recommended.

And I have another problem . . . the lines between each section I painted are very obvious. Not sure if that means there is too much paint there or I wasn't going fast enough to keep a wet edge. I tried to avoid the too much paint problem by starting my rolling about 18 inches away from the last section, working backward so I wouldn't have that much left on the roller when I got to the edge.

If it is the wet edge problem, is it time for Penetrol to slow things down a bit?

Thanks,

Mike
    did you tip vertically?

I just went to check out how things looked after about 4 hours of drying. I may have spoken too soon . . . It must have done some leveling, because I couldn't find the section lines any more. The brush lines are still visible, but look much better.

It has a good number of tiny lumps that are probably from dust, but it looks a lot better than the orange peel of the 1st coat.

I used a nice soft 2" Chinese badger hair brush that I probably got from Jamestown.

I pretty much copied what I saw on a video done by Off Center Harbor, where one of the career Brooklin Yard painters demonstrated rolling and tipping. He rolled vertically just enough to cover an area 12-18 inches wide, and then immediately tipped horizontally. He was working alone at a steady but relaxed pace and, or course, his paint came out perfect.

I also learned that one cup of paint is a little less than you need to do one side of a Lightning. I came up about 5 feet short and had to get more paint. I figured that area would look nasty, but it looks a lot better than I expected.

So it seems like we are finally making some progress.

DSCN1997.jpgDSCN1999.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I was taught to tip vertically.
    Better to tip horizontally; the paint will flow better. But for a person with lesser painting skills, vertical tipping has advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Better to tip horizontally; the paint will flow better. But for a person with lesser painting skills, vertical tipping has advantages.
    Perhaps I was taught that way because my reputation preceded me.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post

Would you please elaborate on this. Thanks

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Would you please elaborate on this. Thanks

Jeff
    If you tip vertically, it lessens the possibility of run. Horizontal tipping assures a flatter surface. (topographically)

I would point out that every time a brush is placed onto the surface it leaves a mark that will stay. Lifting a brush at the end of a stroke will not. Brushing horizontally from dry into wet allows the beginning of an earlier stroke to be removed. All strokes are made one direction into the paint.

If vertical strokes are used there must be a place to lift the brush off without stopping the stroke. There also must be a masked dry area to begin a stroke or the beginning of each stroke will show.

Yesterday I did coat # 2 on the Port side, and today I did Starboard. Coat # 3 coming soon . . . Starting to feel like Groundhog Day . . . except I'm still waiting for Andie MacDowell . . .

Yesterday, right after painting, it didn't look so great, but 4 hours later I guess the paint had leveled because it looked much better.

Today I could see the brush marks disappearing right after I tipped, and Starboard has almost no orange peel or brush marks.

The darker picture is Port from yesterday . . . I think the color looks different because the camera flashed today.

We're making progress . . . I can feel it . . .

DSCN1999.jpg

DSCN2001.jpg