Thread: It's Tax Day!

Default It's Tax Day!

Yipee, not! Did I mention that my accountant is not answering her phone, and we haven't filed yet? WTF?
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Default Re: It's Tax Day!

Why wait until the very last moment?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

She's likely already filed for an extension. I never receive all the information I need, for completion, until just before deadline. Extension gives a bit more time to do it right.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Guess what I did yesterday. And one of the computers, the one connected to the printer of course, started to malfunction. Why wait until the last moment? Because I'm an idiot. I will not do that next year.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

You said that last year.... :P
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Guess what I did yesterday. And one of the computers, the one connected to the printer of course, started to malfunction. Why wait until the last moment? Because I'm an idiot. I will not do that next year.
    I've said that before...

As to "Why wait?" - 1) when you always owe, who wants to send in a check early? & 2) I wanted to learn how to procrastinate, but never got around to it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

We sent ours off the middle of last week, way too early if you ask me!

Ours was done by 2/18.
    Life is complex.

Unlike most years, I did not ask for an extension this year.

Being self employed, I pay at least quarterly, so tax days doesn't mean much.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I've been busier than well-stirred fire-ants lately. So this is a year when I'd have likely been filing for an extension. Luckily - my sweetie handles the taxes, or coordinates with the accountant, and it's all been done for over a month. Even got a small refund coming. Not as large as past years, but welcome.

It's too bad so many people are getting tax bills instead of their normal/expected refunds - simply because the Trump administration chose to jigger the withholding to maximize the amount in their paychecks... in a vain, cynical, and shortsighted hope that it would help the R's during the midterm election. They really are unalloyed slimeballs.
    Last edited by David G; 04-15-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Up here, T4s (official income statements) and tax receipts have to be issued by the end of February, and as soon as Oystagirl and I have ours, we do our taxes at her folks' place, using the software they buy every year (five licenses for the priced of admission, which is exactly how many we need for them, her brother, and ourselves). Got a nice chunk back this year, which will help with the renovations on our house.

What are you doing about it?

Many on here look forward to refunds.

Which means that they have paid too much tax - throughout the year(?) - and the Govt gives back the overpayment?

I finally heard from the accountant. They filed an extension on ours last week and are just waiting to do the final numbers check. She only does this to clients who don't owe. This way she can make sure all the ones that do owe get filed on time and don't incur extra penalties. I'm glad I don't have to pay, but I would really lie to get the filing over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Many on here look forward to refunds. Which means that they have paid too much tax - throughout the year(?) - and the Govt gives back the overpayment?
    Exactly. Income tax is deducted from paychecks. You take your best guess, then at the end of the year you work out how much you really owed, and either pay a bit more or get some back. Some folks deliberately use it as a savings plan and get a big refund; not terribly efficient, but not too bad if interest rates are low .
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

It’s not tax day here yet. We have until midnight on the 17th. Because today is a holiday - Patriot’s Day, and tomorrow is a holiday in DC - Emancipation Day. So Wednesday is Tax Day.

I vaguely recall my father sitting once a year, surrounded by piles of paperwork, at the dining table muttering and cursing over his tax submissions.

PAYE is so much easier.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I finally heard from the accountant. They filed an extension on ours last week and are just waiting to do the final numbers check. She only does this to clients who don't owe. This way she can make sure all the ones that do owe get filed on time and don't incur extra penalties. I'm glad I don't have to pay, but I would really like to get the filing over with.
    I trust you didn't mean that so I FIFY by insertion of a 'k'.

OK, that's the funniest thing you've posted in weeks!

(I think our schoolmarm still frowns upon editing quotes, though, so I would suggest discretion.)

What are you doing about it?

That's actually pretty funny, lol.

Ours would be done early, except that one of my investments is a limited partnership, and those kinds of companies don't release their K1 (statement showing each investor's share of the profit) until late march.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Many on here look forward to refunds.

Which means that they have paid too much tax - throughout the year(?) - and the Govt gives back the overpayment?
    Oh really? I just sent a check for more than I ever have. Not the Feds, the state! The way Trump is screwing particularly blue states and helping red states means NY doesn't have the revenue to count on to function and taxes have gone up. You know how Trump works on screwing the states which didn't vote for him?

I filed in February. Easiest tax form ever. Since Herself retired, we have no wages, no withholding, etc. The standard deduction more than covered our income (no itemized stuff, hooray) and our capital gains were under the zero tax threshhold. No state or local income tax. So we owed zip!
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Don't forget that the GOPPERS and corporate Dems take money from H&RBlock and Intuit,
    and make your tax preparation more complicated than necessary, and prohibit the IRS from
    providing free on-line tax services . .

They do that kind of stuff all the time, which is why I support progressive Dems.

I filed late this year - about Feb 15. Next year it looks like I will owe small amount (about $700), so I will file a few days before the deadline.

Just a PSA that some may not have noticed on the payment instructions: The IRS cannot take checks larger than 100 million, so if you owe more than that, you have to make out separate checks - each for no more than 100 million.

You're welcome...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green