Thread: Helicopters

Lightbulb Helicopters

I quite like 'Little Nellie'.

Not saying it is my favorite, although I have not flown on many.

Also liked the shape/appearance of the 'M*A*SH' helicopter - Bell H-13 Sioux
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Helicopters

Little Nellie is not a helicopter.

She's a gyrocopter.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

gyro-copter man....

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Little Nellie is not a helicopter.
    True, it is an autogyro. but I still like it.

I'd had to change the thread title to "Autogyro & Helicopters", but since this is 'The Bilge', I figured it would be OK.

However I stand corrected, and will possibly be taken round the back of the screen and shot at dawn.

Noted that the Bilge is a forum which, despite it's name, seemingly requires everything to be absolute perfect at all times. LO
    L

PS AlanMc : Apparently it is spelt without a 'hyphen', be careful otherwise you may find yourself joining me
    round the back of the screen and shot at dawn.
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 04-15-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Yep! It's called a Gyroptere, at least in France.
    The rotor isn't powered
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

No , its not ok, you will get some anal type tell you its nothing like a helicopter because unless its blowing an absolute hooley, its not capable of vertical take off......

They have come along way from the original Benson and an interesting flying experience.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    gyro-copter man....
    doesn't hold a candle to gyrogirl
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    No , its not ok, you will get some anal type tell you its nothing like a helicopter because unless its blowing an absolute hooley, its not capable of vertical take off......
    Understood that is not 'OK', which I dutifully acknowledged in the line in my post #5 following . . . "I figured it would be OK."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    doesn't hold a candle to gyrogirl
    Rattling the teacups.

You mean GyroGirl
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I prefer the pic in #11 i.e. :-

Quote Originally Posted by S/V Laura Ellen View Post
    You mean GyroGirl

When I was at Osan AB in Koregia in the seventies, we had a Jane's All the Worlds' Aircraft on the desk as a reference. It helps to know the characteristics of the aircraft the nation being monitored flies, as it helps the communications and intelligence analysis. Just being bored, I spent a bunch of hours trying to stay awake on a slow mid-shift, fantasizing about the Bell gyrocopter. At the end of the article, it mentioned that they were available in kit form for a mere eleven hunfdred bucks. And the beauty of it, supposedly, was that you could legally build it and fly it without an airframe mechanic's license. It was originally a tethered flight training aid, IIRC, maybe for the astronaut program in the early sixties?

As long as there is forward movement through the air, the flow of the air will drive the otherwise un-powered rotor, and it will provide lift. But if it stalls, if the air speed falls off, a rapid descent ensues. The good news is that if you don't panic, the acceleration towards the ground also provides forward motion through the air and the rotor will be driven again and so again provide lift, if you have enough room above the dirt. If you stall at low enough altitude that your acceleration doesn't have time to build lift, ... bounce.
    Nicely whelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post

They have come along way from the original Benson and an interesting flying experience.
    The "autogyro jump" looks pretty vertical.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

S.V. Laura Ellen's GyroGirl looks to be radioactive, and in imminent danger of suffering a fallout accident... too much exposure and not enough containment.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Way back in my misspent youth I ran this machine...

IMG_4664.jpg

The kiddies loved it

that's her youtube outfit; because you know youtube has an anti-nudity rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    S.V. Laura Ellen's GyroGirl looks to be radioactive, and in imminent danger of suffering a fallout accident... too much exposure and not enough containment.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Anyone got a copy of Bruce McCall's Autogyro Jousting from "Zany Afternoons"
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

When I was about 12, Gyrodyne was near us experimenting with the motorcycle of helicopters - the rotorcycle. They had twin towers with a cable between and a drop cable to a swivel eye atop the rotors hub as a safety during test flying. Once they had it down, they boasted that even a 12 year old could drive it. Safely tethered and Dad beaming, I was the lucky kid.

Here's another way to make your rotors go round. Promising, but too noisy.

'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

"Heavy Metal"

Veteran of the Battle of Mogadishu, call sign Super 65.

fullsizeoutput_1df0.jpg

https://www.unicalhf.org/

In 2015 Unical Defense purchased UH-60A 83-23887 (Former MH-60A). Not only is this Black Hawk one of the few former Special Operations aircraft released to the civil market, but it also has a distinguished history having participated in the Battle of Mogadishu as “Super 65” / “Heavy Metal”.

The Battle of Mogadishu or the Battle of the Black Sea took place Oct. 3-4, 1993 and was made popular by the Mark Bowden Philadelphia Inquirer articles and subsequent Ridley Scott movie “Black Hawk Down”. This UH-60 was part of the 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) D Company in Operation Gothic Serpent, Somalia.

Crewed by pilots Gerry Izzo, Richard Williams and Crew Chief Pat Powers, “Super 65” was tasked with fast-rope inserting Chalk 2: a group of U.S. Army Rangers led by First Lt. Tom DiTomasso.

"Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Before we put her blades on...

fullsizeoutput_1df1.jpg
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Crazy Ivan...

Ok, Kandahar Afghanistan, slow day, looking down the ramp, spot those crazy Ukrainians... what are they up to now?

fullsizeoutput_1df2.jpg

They've got chalk, a big stick, and a running Mi-8. It looks like they're going to ground track a main rotor using the ancient stick method.

Yep, chalk up the main rotor blade tips with 5 different colors, this ones green...

fullsizeoutput_1df3.jpg

Run up helicopter and slowly move white canvas covered big stick towards the rotor disk until the tip caps rub the canvas and leaves 5 marks.

IMG_5891.jpg

So the guy holding the stick is not just brave, but smart. The rotor blades are spinning clockwise as viewed from above, so if he jams the stick in too far, the stick will be flung away from him. Unfortunately the other guy isn't as smart, and seems to be in the path of the stick.

Sorry to say I don't have a picture of the canvas after their run. But it had several chalk rubs on it, some colors close together, a couple an inch or two higher and lower. It's not uncommon on the ground for the tip paths not to match exactly. Actually, that's true in flight also. What's more important is a good balance and sometimes the blades don't fly exactly even when they are balanced correctly.

Anyhow, that was the only time I've ever seen blades tracked like that, although it's in all the books.

Crazy Sam

The only time I've seen US Army riding in a Russian chopper....

They sure didn't want to talk about it either.... although they didn't mind us taking the kids who were guiding us through the minefield down for a look at it

Best chopper I've ever seen was an Mi-26, which flew into Mt Hagen airport in Papua New Guinea when I was there. Tail rotor was bigger than the main rotor on a Hughes 500 that was also there
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Here’s how the blades move in flight. At least on the older helicopters the blades were hinged so they could flap. The advancing blade encounters an increase in speed and rises which lowers the angle of attack. The retreating blade encounters at tailwind which causes it to descend, which I turn increases its angle of attack. The lift over the entire disk stays balanced in forward flight—up to a point.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

I deleted that. The pilot died
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 04-17-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem