Thread: Kirby Marine Paint

Default Kirby Marine Paint

No affiliation but I bought a gallon of paint and this was the email I just got,

Hi Christoper,

We wanted to take a moment and thank you for your business. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing an order from a repeat customer, and we can’t express how grateful we are every time.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not be shy!

Thank you again,
    Shari Kirby
    George Kirby Jr. Paint Company

Great customer service, a personal touch, feels like the hardware store down the street . I even got a typed and signed letter from George Kirby when I requested a color chart . I appreciate that kind of attention, makes me happy to give them my money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Kirby Marine Paint

They are who I use.

My wife mixed up a very particular color for our topsides. Kirby's sample to reproduce it was the best and as you say their attention to detail and customer service was great. They sent a free container of conditioner when they didn't include it in our first shipment (although I may not have been clear that we wanted some).

They are really appreciated around my house. Fingers crossed they don't slide into oblivion one of these days. I love getting a person on the phone, probably the guy who's going to be mixing my "slightly lighter gray than the one on the chip" quart of paint.

Kirby is wonderful - no doubt about it.

Another company that is family run & gives great service is Garhauer. I ordered a traveler from them at the Annapolis boat show. It was way cheaper than competing brands & IMO stronger. They also made a custom length for me to fit an existing teak standoff & a different block setup on the ends. About 2 weeks after I ordered it, I got a call from one of the sons: "I'm just about to send this to the anodizer & noticed that there are no bolt holes. While many people prefer to drill their own, having the holes anodized is much better. Can you get me the hole locations & diameters?" I said that I'd love to, but the boat's in Maine & I'm in VT & won't be over to her for a week. "That's OK - I'll set it off to the side & you can call me when you get the info."

I got the measurements, emailed him a sketch & he replied right away with "Great, you should have it in 10 days". I got it in 8 or 9 and the holes were perfectly located, nicely chamfered & all anodized. Not a dime extra for this.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I love Kirby.
    The first time I placed an order by phone, George wouldn't take my card info. Said it would just mess him up at the moment and told me to swing by when I could - he'd mix it all and the paint would be ready for me (which it was) whenever I got there.
    Another year, I drove to New Bedford from Westport to pickup some semigloss white. It happened to be a day when they were out of semigloss and mixing that day. George apologized and shipped to Boston the gallons I needed the following day, no charge.
    I wish more people did business like Kirby. I know that as long as they are operating, and as as long as I am painting, I'll be buying from Kirby.

edit: I'm also painting my house with Kirby.

Second the motion on Garhauer.

Hard to say which is a greater pleasure- using their products or doing business with them.

+1 We have enjoyed their paint on several projects.
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog