Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: I want one!

Default Re: I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    It's kind of funny that you think you are in a position to judge that after being here for a few weeks and racking up a few dozen posts.

Only kind of funny, though.
    Oh, incivility is not hard to spot even though I only signed on recently.

The post by Katherine seems to have been removed. I must not be the only one who thought it uncivil.
    Last edited by C.Collins; 04-14-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Yeh, the H.T.T vibe is quite evident. Why don't the protagonists below do a 12 round bout of projection and self justification?
    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    My, you joined the Bilge on a holier plane. It is all tsk, tsk.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I have millions of miles on all wheel types and sizes, and I promise you wheel size ain't the be all end all.

Robert
    Just curious about the miles you rode.
    How many hours did it take to ride millions of miles?

Only 1 million at a constant rate of 50 mph would be 20,000 hours of riding. That would be 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year for 10 years.

Are you really old, did you ride night and day or did you always go really fast?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Collins View Post
    Your sign appears to be old school neon and I love them. Led signs? Meh
    A wooden boat compared a cheap plastic rotomolded kayak.
    Do you have sign people there who can repair it when needed?
    You're the second person recently to comment on that. Yes, it's neon.

I recently had it repaired, but the repair guy broke a segment... the top left outside border, and he didn't come back. I took the broken bit back to him the other day to remind him.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Here's a better shot of the Grom, with Nicklas heading off to Pai yesterday. Interestingly, the bike encountered a bit of trouble - which he handled quite well - as he rode off the tiled area onto the footpath - over a very small rut. Small wheels. I've never seen a big-wheeled bike slide out the way his did there.
    I'm guessing he crossed the rut at some angle other than 90 degrees. If one thinks about the geometry, a smaller wheel, sinking further in the rut, and at an acute angle, will have more offset steering forces input by the rut, wanting to turn the wheel in line with the rut. On my bicycle, especially the 20" wheel which I ride these days, I always try to cross railroad tracks (with adjacent deep grooves) at 90 degrees or close to it, to negate that effect. However another factor, if wet, is the slickness of the burnished steel track itself, for which I think the wheel diameter has no effect. But the solution is the same, perpendicular crossing, no cornering forces.

The more frequent danger in a newbie motorbike rider my size (I don't yet ride), is my falling over on my ass at a standstill because both of my feet can't reach the ground. I've thought if I got a bike, it would be a used Honda VFR800 6th generation, I've heard it strikes a good balance between sportiness and touring ability. But I'm sure it would be better to start out with a lighter bike, though I'm sure I'll learn fast with my background. I love the suspension design of the BMW K1300S, however I don't need a 1.3 liter bike, although the dry weight is no heavier than the VFR800.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    I'm guessing he crossed the rut at some angle other than 90 degrees. If one thinks about the geometry, a smaller wheel, sinking further in the rut, and at an acute angle, will have more offset steering forces input by the rut, wanting to turn the wheel in line with the rut. On my bicycle, especially the 20" wheel which I ride these days, I always try to cross railroad tracks (with adjacent deep grooves) at 90 degrees or close to it, to negate that effect. However another factor, if wet, is the slickness of the burnished steel track itself, for which I think the wheel diameter has no effect. But the solution is the same, perpendicular crossing, no cornering forces.

The more frequent danger in a newbie motorbike rider my size (I don't yet ride), is my falling over on my ass at a standstill because both of my feet can't reach the ground. I've thought if I got a bike, it would be a used Honda VFR800 6th generation, I've heard it strikes a good balance between sportiness and touring ability. But I'm sure it would be better to start out with a lighter bike, though I'm sure I'll learn fast with my background. I love the suspension design of the BMW K1300S, however I don't need a 1.3 liter bike, although the dry weight is no heavier than the VFR800.
    You got it.... but that's what happens out there in the real world. The larger the wheel diameter, the better the chance you have when you hit one like that.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

The post by Katherine seems to have been removed. I must not be the only one who thought it uncivil.
    Sure. Lots of people get things wrong, including the local schoolmarm.

What are you doing about it?

You are holding yourself out as an arbiter of civility after a few days ago posting that another poster here is a feckless ****?
    You have made two seeming errors here, in one short sentence.

First - I don't believe Kat's comment was a call for 'civility' as much as it was a nudge toward taking the thread in the lighthearted spirit it was intended. Civility would, however, be a by-product. Let's just give you half marks for that one.

Second - You seem to somehow imagine that one cannot be civil, or call for civility (if that was what she had been doing), when it is called for... and also call out someone who has shown a long history of lying, and other sorts of dishonest discourse, when it is appropriate. Sorry, no credit for that one.

You're new around here, so I won't leap to any conclusions. But... can you do better? More signal, less noise? More careful thought, less reactivity?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

First lesson of the Bilge- if you are new to the forum - do not post anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sarnella View Post
    Absolutely correct.

Second lesson of the Bilge - if you are likely to be deemed anything but a 'die-hard-leftist-democrat' on the forum - do not post anything, otherwise you will be personally attacked.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by sarnella View Post
    Oh dear... Another bit of silliness.

The lesson - which I wish we'd all learn, not just newcomers - is to post quality comments, not nonsense. Accurate, well-considered, factually-based comments.

For myself - I say post away. Jump in as much as you wish. But don't waste everyone's time with silliness. If all you have is silliness... then I'm fine with 'do not post anything'. Quite fine. At least in response to serious comments. If the thread was started with playful silliness in find... go crazy.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Sure. Lots of people get things wrong, including the local schoolmarm.
    It is observed that a number of people are rude on the forum and personally attack others.
    So yes they get things wrong, it is called being rude and is against forum rules.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    It is observed that a number of people are rude on the forum and personally attack others.
    So yes they get things wrong, it is called being rude and is against forum rules.
    Correction: schoolmarms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    And you have yet to own up to mischaracterizing others in your original posts which sets you up for thinking criticisms of your statements or arguments is a personal attack on you. In other words your observations are not serving you well excerpt to play the victim.

Criticisms of arguments almost always devolve into personal attacks on Internet forums, and this one is no better. But like all cliques, the personal attacks often go unrecognized as such as long as the insultor is of the same opinion as the mass, and the insultee is "the other".

All threads seem to end up in this discussion territory eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Really guys? This was supposed to be a fun thread.
    By the way, I stand by my opinion of Rum Pirate. GET A FREAKIN LIFE ALREADY!
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

No mistake, you are a lady of discernment and grace. And remarkable restraint, most of the time.

Why was your original post deleted? If you stand by it try posting it again and see what happens.
    I'd cut and paste it in here but that might get me banned, I'm sure the post would be removed by the admin.

I've never known a lady of discernment and grace to use the "c"word when describing another poster.

Ladies don't use that word.

I've never known a lady of discernment and grace to use the "c"word when describing another poster.

Ladies don't use that word.
    You've obviously nevah met a Jersey Woman.

I married one, she's a lady of discernment and grace and curses like a drunken sailor. I find it sexy and refreshing
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I've met a woman from Jersey that used that word but she certainly was no lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

I married one, she's a lady of discernment and grace and curses like a drunken sailor. I find it sexy and refreshing
    A women of discernment and grace does not curse like a drunken sailor.
    No more than a women who curses like a drunken sailor marries well.
    Last edited by C.Collins; 04-15-2019 at 11:26 AM.

"Profanity is like spice - a little bit is refreshing, but too much spoils the broth."
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

No more than a women who curses like a drunken sailor marry well.
    For a brand new member of the forum, you presume to know an awful lot about the existing members.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

For a brand new member of the forum, you presume to know an awful lot about the existing members.
    Smells like a sock puppet, posts like a sock puppet.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Smells like a sock puppet, posts like a sock puppet.

Jeff C
    Yep.

I just signed up to be able to see the pictures but I've been reading it for years.
    What? I'm supposed to forget all I've read?

I just signed up to be able to see the pictures but I've been reading it for years.
    What? I'm supposed to forget all I've read?
    You know, I could swear I've heard that before.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

So, C., which of the other ladies on the forum do you say Katherine was referring to at the time?

You know, I could swear I've heard that before.
    No, you are just confusing that with what you told your wife.

"I buy Playboy for the articles not the pictures."

No more than a women who curses like a drunken sailor marries well.
    Now that is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    So, C., which of the other ladies on the forum do you say Katherine was referring to at the time?
    She was referring to a man who gives us some of the nicest tropical/nautical/informational posts here.

Heaven only knows why she would call him such a vile female slur.

Awww, gowan, C.Collins - it is only a word that describes a part of a rope...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thanks for posting this up, Katherine, I think they are a great idea and I would get one if NJ wasn't so full of clueless drivers.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Awww, gowan, C.Collins - it is only a word that describes a part of a rope...
    Aaaah Face palm!

She was being nautical, not naughty!

Think about it guys and google it.

If I posted the link I'd be banned.