Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: I want one!

Default I want one!

For all the non-Harley lovers out there:
    https://electrek.co/2019/04/12/silen...ooters-europe/
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Default Re: I want one!

That's pretty cool. I could see commuting on something like that in the summer.

What are you doing about it?

Neat.

That is a very clever thing.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Yes!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    That's pretty cool. I could see commuting on something like that in the summer.
    All three weeks of it?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I love to see the technology evolving.

Two quibbles. First - it's frumpy looking. Such approaches seems to fail because they lean too hard on cutting edge technology and forget that styling still sells. Second - a trike with a pair of narrow rear wheels? Color me highly skeptical. If I'm gonna forego the tons of sheetmetal protection in favor of the open air (a tradeoff I'm happy to make)... I want it to be a fun ride as well. That geometry seems antithetical.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    All three weeks of it?
    Well, it is snowing today, but the scoot season around here runs from about mid-April to the end of September, even October if it's a warm autumn.

What are you doing about it?

Being silent might not be a plus in city traffic.

I have a neighbor who has arthritic ankles and can't usually walk much so he drives everywhere on his very noisy lawn tractor. He could use one of those, the 3 wheeler.

Interesting.... but something with wheels as small as those, shouldn't be doing 62 mph on a highway. The sort of pothole which produces an uncomfortable bump, on a motorcycle, could flip a scooter over.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Interesting.... but something with wheels as small as those, shouldn't be doing 62 mph on a highway. The sort of pothole which produces an uncomfortable bump, on a motorcycle, could flip a scooter over.
    You don't have any idea what you're talking about. Sorry, but that is just false, false, false. Any pothole that would upend a scooter, even a small wheeled job, would dump a bike, too.

Peace,
    Mine Will Do 70-75

Way better performance than the stupid electric vespa

The scooter has a top speed of 100 km/h (62 mph) and a range of 115 km (75 mi). It uses an 11 kW rear hub motor mounted in a single-sided swingarm. The S01’s performance is comparable to the 250cc class of gas scooters. Most other electric scooters in Europe fall into the 50cc-125cc class.

Vespa Elettrica technical details

The Vespa Elettrica will have similar performance to a standard 50cc scooter. The elettrica will feature a brushless DC motor rated for 2 kW (2.7 hp) continuous and 4 kW (5.4 hp) peak power. The motor should be plenty peppy, with a torque rating of over 200 Nm (148 ft-lbs).The lithium battery is designed to last 100 km (62 mi) and can be recharged in 4 hours.

But the vespa is pretty

Although if you really want to FLY

Get a BMW

However, we have seen a boost in battery power with three 115-150V, 94-Ah lithium-ion battery modules from the BMW i3 containing 12 battery cells per module. This gives a claimed range of 99 miles. BMW says this is the world’s first “Medium Range Electric Maxi Scooter.” At AIMExpo, we were told charge times would be 9 hours with a 110V A/C outlet and a quick 3.5 hrs with a 220V A/C plug.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The other electric scooter I saw had two 17lb removable batteries that go into charging stations for swapping. This seems like a better way to get a heavy battery pack replaced and moved around without risk of dropping it but I like the idea of taking the charging station out of the house and out on the road just like gas stations.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    You don't have any idea what you're talking about. Sorry, but that is just false, false, false. Any pothole that would upend a scooter, even a small wheeled job, would dump a bike, too.

Peace,
    Mine Will Do 70-75
    The piece that's true about Norman's comment is that smaller wheels DO make for a rougher ride. A potholes effect IS magnified. A smaller diameter tire will simply fall further into the same size pothole. And then there's that whole 'contact patch' size issue. A larger wheel/tire will allow for recovering traction better after any sort of jostle/skid than a smaller one. Now look at likely amounts of suspension travel. It's just physics.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    The piece that's true about Norman's comment is that smaller wheels DO make for a rougher ride. A potholes effect IS magnified. A smaller diameter tire will simply fall further into the same size pothole. And then there's that whole 'contact patch' size issue. A larger wheel/tire will allow for recovering traction better after any sort of jostle/skid than a smaller one. Now look at likely amounts of suspension travel. It's just physics.
    Oops, sorry. I forgot about the 5000 miles I put on my scooter last year. And 3000 on the motorbike. And the MILLIONS of miles I've put on two wheels of every size imaginable.

Of course, as is my wont, I like to speculate and postulate and theorize.

And, by the by, the scoot has 2-3 times the contact patch the motorbike does, especially with the semi knobs. Hitting a pothole at 60 on two wheels is going to be bad, though, and in my direct and copious experience, not any better or worse depending on wheel size. If you're turning, you'll likely be bucked off, and if you're surprised by a road hazard on a straight, you deserve to crash.

Wake up on two wheels.

Peace,
    Robert

OK I've ridden regular motorcycles, most were way less smooth than my current Vespa. I don't know what it is about the little Vespa but that thing is SMOOOOOOTH over every surface. It kinda reminds me of the suspension on an old Citroen DS 23 the Vespa just eats up and glides over surfaces.

Really impressive stats. We have a little electric scooter (a Chinese thing called "Veloteq"), but it has an 80km distance limit, and struggles on hills. Also, speed is deliberately capped at 20 mph, so it can be legally considered an "e-bike" (no license required, etc.)

Still really fun, for shopping trips to the village. I keep it in a garden shed with a special ramp, so I can burst out of there like Batman with my cape flying.

Oops, sorry. I forgot about the 5000 miles I put on my scooter last year. And 3000 on the motorbike. And the MILLIONS of miles I've put on two wheels of every size imaginable.

Of course, as is my wont, I like to speculate and postulate and theorize.

And, by the by, the scoot has 2-3 times the contact patch the motorbike does, especially with the semi knobs. Hitting a pothole at 60 on two wheels is going to be bad, though, and in my direct and copious experience, not any better or worse depending on wheel size. If you're turning, you'll likely be bucked off, and if you're surprised by a road hazard on a straight, you deserve to crash.

Wake up on two wheels.

Peace,
    Robert
    Techy as usual, eh?

Fine, if you want to argue from personal experience, mine probably matches or exceeds. I started riding trails on little Hondas & Suzukis when I was a pre-teen. I've ridden dirt bikes, road bikes, scooters, but no trikes. I raced dirt bikes for years in my teens - first 125's, then a 250. I've owned a street bike, or several, since my 20's. That's 40+ years. Did a lot of 'cafe racing' on various bikes. Commuted year-round on a bike for several years.

But we could swap anecdotes all day. If you've got time to dig up data/evidence for your contact patch assertion, I'm open to being corrected.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Techy as usual, eh?

Fine, if you want to argue from personal experience, mine probably matches or exceeds. I started riding trails on little Hondas & Suzukis when I was a pre-teen. I've ridden dirt bikes, road bikes, scooters, but no trikes. I raced dirt bikes for years in my teens - first 125's, then a 250. I've owned a street bike, or several, since my 20's. That's 40+ years. Did a lot of 'cafe racing' on various bikes. Commuted year-round on a bike for several years.

But we could swap anecdotes all day. If you've got time to dig up data/evidence for your contact patch assertion, I'm open to being corrected.
    Nice insult, off the top.

I have no time left in my life to waste on the likes of you.

Peace,
    Robert

Nice insult, off the top.

I have no time left in my life to waste on the likes of you.

Peace,
    Robert
    Guys, I started this as a fun, non political thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Guys, I started this as a fun, non political thread.
    And, I apologize for soiling it with my inanity.

I really am trying to stop.

I'm done for today, anyway.

Peace,
    Robert

And, I apologize for soiling it with my inanity.

I really am trying to stop.

I'm done for today, anyway.

Peace,
    Robert
    Apologies, Kat. I know we can do better. Well... rob can. Don't know if there's any hope for me.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

No worries gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    Really impressive stats. We have a little electric scooter (a Chinese thing called "Veloteq"), but it has an 80km distance limit, and struggles on hills. Also, speed is deliberately capped at 20 mph, so it can be legally considered an "e-bike" (no license required, etc.)

Still really fun, for shopping trips to the village. I keep it in a garden shed with a special ramp, so I can burst out of there like Batman with my cape flying.
    We've an island just a half hour by ferry away from the centre of Auckland that has a substantial population, and during summer holiday time that about trebles. Its hilly and has got narrow windy roads for the most part, well suited to scooters or mountain bicycles. On a recent visit I noted that the only scooters that were available for hire were electric, and there were dozens of them being ridden by everyone from bikini clad young women to grey bearded seniors. Great to see.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

The battery swap system seems clever, for someone running a fleet of delivery vehicles. But for domestic use I'd reckon just park near a power outlet and plug in. I wouldn't be surprised to see private cars excluded from cities within a few years. I think they already are in some European cities. Huge parking stations on the fringes for those who have to drive, then hop onto public transport or a rental escoot.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Now that we got away from the political... let go for the down right sexist by proxy.

A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

I'll leave the arguing about the merits to others, most of the posters in the bilge seem to be adept at that.

My take.
    I saw many electric scooters being used by small package delivery people in the old town of Cartegena Colombia recently.
    The good part was that they are silent which is very nice in early morning in a historic old city.
    The bad part is that they are silent, unless the driver gave you a courtesy horn beep you never knew they were coming up behind you.

Death mobile. Weird footprint, too quiet.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The battery swap system seems clever, for someone running a fleet of delivery vehicles. But for domestic use I'd reckon just park near a power outlet and plug in. I wouldn't be surprised to see private cars excluded from cities within a few years. I think they already are in some European cities. Huge parking stations on the fringes for those who have to drive, then hop onto public transport or a rental escoot.

The problem is your home charger you bought takes six hours with 120v outlet. If batteries can be swapped out at “filling stations” in a minute and you’re an easy distance from a battery swap station it’s just like filling a scooter gas tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Now that we got away from the political... let go for the down right sexist by proxy.
    I'll play along

OriginalPhoto-562027036.698332.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    OK I've ridden regular motorcycles, most were way less smooth than my current Vespa. I don't know what it is about the little Vespa but that thing is SMOOOOOOTH over every surface. It kinda reminds me of the suspension on an old Citroen DS 23 the Vespa just eats up and glides over surfaces.
    The lower the top speed of a vehicle, the softer you can make the suspension. Ditto for the payload ratio.

Tire contact patch area will be the same for whatever tire size, assuming the same tire pressure and same vehicle and payload weight. It's simple static physics. Lower tire pressure, contact patch increases proportionally. Lighter vehicle and payload, tire contact patch is reduced proportionally.

Larger tire diameters cope better with potholes, as well as resistance to hydroplaning.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

No idea how you guys survive on half power.

I'm glad you never had a serious accident (well, I'm presuming you haven't).

However, I'll stand by the essence of my comment; all other things being equal, smaller wheels versus pothole are going to be more hazardous than larger wheels. Furthermore, any pothole you find in central California is likely to be a minor blemish, compared to what we get in New England every winter. Back when I owned an MGB, I hit a pothole on an entrance ramp to the highway that actually bent a stamped steel wheel... fortunately, the road was being repaired by the State, and they paid the insurance claim.

New England is NOT like California... road conditions can be VERY bad, here.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I'm glad you never had a serious accident (well, I'm presuming you haven't).

However, I'll stand by the essence of my comment; all other things being equal, smaller wheels versus pothole are going to be more hazardous than larger wheels. Furthermore, any pothole you find in central California is likely to be a minor blemish, compared to what we get in New England every winter. Back when I owned an MGB, I hit a pothole on an entrance ramp to the highway that actually bent a stamped steel wheel... fortunately, the road was being repaired by the State, and they paid the insurance claim.

New England is NOT like California... road conditions can be VERY bad, here.
    You are, of course, correct. We had similar difficulties in my neck of the woods when the original Austin Minis became popular. 6-8" deep vertical sided holes don't react well with 10" wheels. My first gen Honda Civic with the 12" wheels suffered as well.