Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Assange arrested in Britain

Default Re: Assange arrested in Britain

Assange has been gray for quite some time. Grey-haired; operate in lots of gray areas.

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 7.34.30 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-12 at 7.35.01 AM.jpg

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I would ask you, as i have asked others, to support that assertion, but as i know you cant, im afraid im going to have to say you are LYING. When people post this kind of garbage comment, is obviously why other people have maybe suggested i have ended up on "the popular" ignore list. So where do you get your wrong information?
    ! ! !
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    On balance I'm with Ska on this. Politicians prove all the time their governments are not to be trusted. Let me quote the Vietnam conflicts and Iraq for a start, let alone the illegal goings on by the US in Sth America for well over 100 years.
    But I'm not at all sure about Assange's mental state lately.
    It is possible for there to be two wrongs. There's the reprehensible US foreign policies we've observed here at length and then there's the indiscriminate theft and leaking of information that has no visible sense of balance. If you're going to condemn military adventures and the killing of innocents at weddings, would you not also be interested in revealing the inner secrets of what happened in Ukraine and Crimea, the willful downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, the ongoing meddling in foeign affairs and the jailing of dissidents in the former Soviet Union and the background behaviors associated with being a former KGB agent??

Whatever his motivations when he started out, he's no longer a neutral observer if indeed he ever was.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

The best comment I have seen on this comes from a friend in the Philippines:

WikiLeaks started as a noble thing. Money and power corrupts everyone.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    ! ! !
    everyone I hate is a russian spy.jpg

I would ask you, as i have asked others, to support that assertion, but as i know you cant, im afraid im going to have to say you are LYING. When people post this kind of garbage comment, is obviously why other people have maybe suggested i have ended up on "the popular" ignore list. So where do you get your wrong information?
    Can you prove you're not a Russian?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Can you prove you're not a Russian?
    I was not the one making a false statement regarding another forum member, so for everyones benefit, please provide the substance of your evidence for why you wrote that.

I was not the one making a false statement regarding another forum member, so for everyones benefit, please provide the substance of your evidence for why you wrote that.
    It seems obvious.
    You used to be not as reticent revealing your location.

Let me kindly suggest something, as it is obvious you can at least read. Find a dictionary, or perhaps even Google the following two words, "location" and "nationality". Spend some time to take onboard the difference between the meanings. You can then apologize to your fellow forum members for spreading ill-informed untrue comments that were posted.

Take a leaf out of Oznas book, who wrote on another thread...

"This statement is completely devoid of factual basis, and is an egregious insult to your fellow forumites.

If you can not back that up with numerous citations, then I will have to assume that you are knowingly spreading falsehoods and denigrating the integrity of your fellow forumites ON PURPOSE.""

Hard to believe Ozna actually had the audacity to write that, as he lacks the compulsion to do just that, while expecting it from others, quite the hypocrite. I didnt expect the same from you.

Let me kindly suggest something, as it is obvious you can at least read.
    What makes you so sure I can read anything other than handwriting on the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    The best comment I have seen on this comes from a friend in the Philippines:

WikiLeaks started as a noble thing. Money and power corrupts everyone.
    That's kinda been my take on the whole thing too.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

So is he a russian? Lots of deflection in that but no answer. I bet he thinks he's tricky.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    So is he a russian? Lots of deflection in that but no answer. I bet he thinks he's tricky.
    Well he used to be a Russian.
    But Russians are now persona non grata so right now it's northern Europe.
    They do seem tricky enough to know how naive the US population at large is.

Whoa. Sounds like Assange was the house guest from hell.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/12/183076...uador-cat-poop

It is not clear to me whether the feces he smeared on the wall was his own or his cat's.

Let me kindly suggest something, as it is obvious you can at least read. Find a dictionary, or perhaps even Google the following two words, "location" and "nationality". Spend some time to take onboard the difference between the meanings. You can then apologize to your fellow forum members for spreading ill-informed untrue comments that were posted.

Take a leaf out of Oznas book, who wrote on another thread...

"This statement is completely devoid of factual basis, and is an egregious insult to your fellow forumites.

If you can not back that up with numerous citations, then I will have to assume that you are knowingly spreading falsehoods and denigrating the integrity of your fellow forumites ON PURPOSE.""

Hard to believe Ozna actually had the audacity to write that, as he lacks the compulsion to do just that, while expecting it from others, quite the hypocrite. I didnt expect the same from you.
    Pore li'l feller.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Whoa. Sounds like Assange was the house guest from hell.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/12/183076...uador-cat-poop

It is not clear to me whether the feces he smeared on the wall was his own or his cat's.
    I hope someone looks after the cat.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I hope someone looks after the cat.
    Sounds like the embassy staff was already doing that. He wasn't even feeding it.

Born: 3 July 1971 (age 47 years), Townsville City....which last time I looked is in northern Queensland Australia.
    To do something pleasant
    with no
    Because.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

We immediately bring up his “mental state” and his cat?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Born: 3 July 1971 (age 47 years), Townsville City....which last time I looked is in northern Queensland Australia.
    I think that comment was about Skaraborgcraft not Assange.
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    I think that comment was about Skaraborgcraft not Assange.
    Yep
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

The only true part of that comment is "how naive the US population at large is", especially down here in the bilge where one persons wrong assertion is picked up and ran with, due in part most likely with the constant Russiaphobia spewed from your press, i guess you cant help being anything but brainwashed. It would not take much effort upstairs to find out where i am and what my nationality is.
    Your casting assertions and trying hard to make someone be someone who they are not, which is quite relevant to how Assange has been demonized.
    Following your logic, John of Phoenix must be a Vietnamese, because he was once over there for a period of time, is that right?.
    I mentioned before on another thread how posting BS can get people killed. I will use an extreme example, such was the case that ended in killings, but if someone suggested online, in a public accesable forum that "hes a pedophile", following your logic, that person would be guilty unless he could prove otherwise? You sir have a very twisted logic on justice, ask yourself if you would want to be judged by YOUR version, guilty till proven innocent.

Assange may not be the nicest person but....
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47907890
    To do something pleasant
    with no
    Because.

Peter Greste, a journalist with experience of being in a prison run by the government he was reporting on, has this opinion piece:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/assa...12-p51di1.html

I find myself in complete agreement with him.

Assange and Wikileaks had every potential of being an actual journalist and an actual news organisation, and when the 'Collateral Murder' video was released I thought it was of immense public interest, but then Assange and Wikileaks simply didn't follow through with all the work that is done by actual professional journalists working in an actual news organisation. And then he decided to effectively join the Trump campaign with the Hillary email dump. (Trump apparently mentioned and praised Wikileaks 141 seperate times during his campaign). For that I will never forgive him.

If he ever does come back to Australia, I hope our agents of the law find the appropriate book(s) to throw at him. Snivelling idiot.

He looked like some latter day Rasputin as he was being dragged from the embassy.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Duncan’s right, as usual.

Real journalists can and should publish damning information, even if it is received from an unsavory source or means. The difference is that real journalists don’t just publish everything without some form of corroboration and some form of editing to remove information which would be damaging, like names of people who would be harmed (and in some cases were by Wikileaks).

Assange should be tried in the U.S. for hacking. His “journalism” activities should be protected, even though he could and should be liable for civil suits brought by people damaged by his irresponsible release of information. Hacking and journalism can be differentiated.

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Sure Sweden first would be fine. Only problem is, Sweden does not have an extradition request or criminal complaint against him. That makes it a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Sure Sweden first would be fine. Only problem is, Sweden does not have an extradition request or criminal complaint against him. That makes it a bit awkward.
    Did you read the link?
    Swedish prosecutors dropped a rape investigation into Assange in 2017 because they were unable to formally notify him of allegations while he stayed in the embassy.
    Two other charges of molestation and unlawful coercion had to be dropped in 2015 because time had run out.
    But Swedish prosecutors say they are now re-examining Assange's case at the request of the lawyer acting for the alleged rape victim.
    and
    Swedish prosecutors dropped the rape investigation in 2017 because they were unable to proceed while he remained in the Ecuadorean embassy.
    Assange also faced investigation for molestation and unlawful coercion, but these cases were dropped in 2015 because time had run out.
    Prosecutors will now re-examine the rape case to decide whether to resume it before the statute of limitations runs out in August 2020.
    Ms Massi Fritz, lawyer for the alleged victim, said the arrest came as a shock but "what we have been waiting and hoping for since 2012 has now finally happened".
    She said: "No rape victim should have to wait nine years to see justice be served."
    They will most likely have one in place before he is released from his UK jail.

Nick, I did read the link. But they haven’t filed either criminal charges or an extradition request yet, and one assumes the British court will consider the timing and precedence of the requests.

If there is a criminal complaint for sexual assault, it seems to me it should have high priority. But then I’m not a British judge.

Nick, I did read the link. But they haven’t filed either criminal charges or an extradition request yet, and one assumes the British court will consider the timing and precedence of the requests.

If there is a criminal complaint for sexual assault, it seems to me it should have high priority. But then I’m not a British judge.
    That is what the MP's and peers are saying. It is likely that if Sweden get their act together in time the Home Secretary may also think so. It should also be remembered that Assange sought sanctuary to avoid an extradition request by Sweden, so they are 7 years ahead in the timing stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    We immediately bring up his “mental state” and his cat?
    Yes. They seem relevant to the decision to stop hosting him. Likewise, it seems relevant that he allegedly went to war against the president of his host country.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...s-to-wikileaks

The only true part of that comment is "how naive the US population at large is", especially down here in the bilge where one persons wrong assertion is picked up and ran with, due in part most likely with the constant Russiaphobia spewed from your press . . .
    Uh huh.

In principle, Eurasia and our space, the heartland Russia, remain the staging area of a new anti-bourgeois, anti-American revolution ... The new Eurasian empire will be constructed on the fundamental principle of the common enemy: the rejection of Atlanticism, strategic control of the USA, and the refusal to allow liberal values to dominate us. This common civilizational impulse will be the basis of a political and strategic union.

The Basics of Geopolitics (1997)

-- wikipedia
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

If he had gone to Sweden, been found guilty, and served his time, He probably would have been either a free man or an almost free man now.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Our laws are not extreme. As a visitor you don't have to like them, just follow them. That also applies to celebrities with inflated egos. My guess is that Julian Assange would have faced a short prison term if he'd been found guilty, which isn't certain. Another celebrity, found guilty for worse sexual assaults, received 2 years. Maximum sentences are reserved for the worst crimes.
    The possible extradition to the US is a legal issue. I doubt that either the US or the Swedish public (opposed to extradition) would have had any sympathy for the independence of our courts. Julian Assange is trouble, a UK trouble for the moment.
    /Erik

Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    Our laws are not extreme. As a visitor you don't have to like them, just follow them. That also applies to celebrities with inflated egos. My guess is that Julian Assange would have faced a short prison term if he'd been found guilty, which isn't certain. Another celebrity, found guilty for worse sexual assaults, received 2 years. Maximum sentences are reserved for the worst crimes.
    The possible extradition to the US is a legal issue. I doubt that either the US or the Swedish public (opposed to extradition) would have had any sympathy for the independence of our courts. Julian Assange is trouble, a UK trouble for the moment.
    /Erik
    Actually, men have been charged with rape in the U.S. for doing what Assange is alleged to have done in Sweden.