Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Assange arrested in Britain

Default Assange arrested in Britain

Equador withdraws asylum, he looks terrible.

Default Re: Assange arrested in Britain

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

His asylum was revoked because of his aggression towards Ecuadorean Embassy staff. The Metropolitan Police were invited into the building to arrest and remove him.

Hope the US extradition warrant is ready.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

^ He's an ass, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I wonder about his mental state...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post

Hope the US extradition warrant is ready.
    Why, do you think it should have been kept secret that US forces in Iraq killed a Rueters news team, among many other civilians?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I wish I understood more of this , hero / villian?

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Me too. I suspect a bit of both.
    He does appear to becoming a bit unhinged, kind of like Trump...
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Hahaha Great photo! Needs a caption me thinks. For a start I think he should repay the Ecuadorian embassy every cent it's cost to feed and house him for the last seven years. And they should be compensated for having to listen to him for all that time. I would have strangled him after a couple of weeks JayInOz

He has probably had far more press in Europe than in the US, save for the media making him out to be something he is not. Even the woman he was alledged to have raped, confirmed that the police had pushed her to make an accusation, she also pushed for those charges to be dropped ,and we knew then the US wanted Assange for publishing the video of the Apache helicopter on a civilian killing spree and a means to bring him into US custody. A man who has not committed any crime within the US.
    Truth is the only thing that matters. US government did not want that footage exposed, and you only need to have witnessed the government policy since then to decide who the bad guys really are, and what lengths they will go to to cover up, or make an example of those that did, in order to deter others .
    Assange has won numerous global awards as a journalist, and since 2010 has been on the Nobel Peace Prize list , not that i hold that to any esteem after Obama was awarded that. What will be interesting now, is if his "insurance file" keys get published, and more information comes into light straight to the public.
    Moreno didnt like the Vatican hit peice Wiki-leaks published that exposed him in high level corruption......coincidence he is being thrown out just a short time after ?
    Sad day for press freedom and exposing truth. Even many here prefer comfortable lies......

He’s the Tang Tinted Turd’s friend. He worked with the Russians on the Clinton emails.

Chelsea Manning is in jail in the USA for refusing to testify against him. I have more sympathy with Manning.

One of his Swedish victims is trying to get her case reinstated in Sweden.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

neither, both; and a douchebag to boot
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It's a conundrum, to be sure. I understand the motivation to set up something like Wikileaks, as an independent and rather anarchic "check" on Government power. Except that it's also vulnerable to being co-opted, as it appears to me Wikileaks was. I've zero doubt that it knowingly functioned as the distribution end of the Russian hacking which helped elect Trump, though how Russia obtained the leverage to enable that is murky. Probably has to do with the Snowden or Manning stuff. I'm also not of the opinion that there should be no state secrets - that having even some dark secrets invalidates the societal benefits of order over anarchy. The perfect really is the enemy of the good.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Assange's play against Clinton might be understandable if his concerns really were for the "truth" per skarab.

If his approach had been an attempt to reveal any and every secret about the major players of western governments, regardless of nominal ideology, one could see his arrest as a blow to press freedoms. Maybe.

But that's not what he was ever about, was it.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I wonder about his mental state...
    I am also wondering about his mental state.

He looks 70 but he is only 47 years old.
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man canít do." Captain Jack Sparrow

I guess that I can't fully argue with the whole "press freedom" perspective of the release of information by Assange and his organization. I think that the Swedish charges are sorta thin, but Swedish law says otherwise.

The issue that I have is that Assange's releases of secrets seemed to be somewhat limited to certain governments/organizations. If it poked at ALL governments equally, and those who were guilty of repressing part of their population, I'd have a bit more respect, but frankly, I don't.

I believe that Assange and Wikileaks actions in coordination with actors who were benefiting the Russian government swayed elections in other places - including the US. He should stand trial for that, IMO.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

It is possible that Assange started as one thing and morphed into another.

The interplay of the pressures applied and an unbalanced ego could easily transform a person from idealistic justice warrior to scheming self-aggrandizer to paranoic idealogue.

He does look really bad. I hope it is an act and not an indication on his mental and physical state
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

It's a workplace hazard common to the messiah and cult leader gig. Secular as well as sacred, it appears.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

The interplay of the pressures applied and an unbalanced ego could easily transform a person from idealistic justice warrior to scheming self-aggrandizer to paranoic idealogue.
    When the Ecuadorians cut off his internet access a while back he probably flipped the **** out. He does look quite a bit like a deranged gnome in this photo. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    When the Ecuadorians cut off his internet access a while back he probably flipped the **** out. He does look quite a bit like a deranged gnome in this photo. . .
    Whoa.
    Rattling the teacups.

What's up with the white gloves?

"Flashes 'thumbs-up' to the press."

Uhhh...

Uhm.

09dc3cd1-cddd-4c08-aa25-5fa0e9480386.jpg
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Heís the Tang Tinted Turdís friend. He worked with the Russians on the Clinton emails.

Chelsea Manning is in jail in the USA for refusing to testify against him. I have more sympathy with Manning.

One of his Swedish victims is trying to get her case reinstated in Sweden.
    Agreed. The ends do not justify the means, and WikiLeaks has pursued immoral means since its inception, from what I can tell.

Apparently one of the Ecuadorian embassy complaints against him was that he wouldn't clean up after his damn cat.

#17, #18: +1

What ever respect I had for him died some time ago. As far as I can see, he morphed into being a Russian asset. Screw him.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Apparently one of the Ecuadorian embassy complaints against him was that he wouldn't clean up after his damn cat.
    That should be enough to extradite him!

Did he ever leak anything about Russia, China, Venezuela, Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, India, Myanmar . . . this great lifter of veils over systematic violation of human rights by national governments?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    #17, #18: +1

What ever respect I had for him died some time ago. As far as I can see, he morphed into being a Russian asset. Screw him.
    Yup. Started well ended badly.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Agreed. The ends do not justify the means, and WikiLeaks has pursued immoral means since its inception, from what I can tell.
    Would you feel the same if one or more of YOUR family members was part of the 12 that got slaughtered that day? Proud your nation tried hard to cover it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Did he ever leak anything about Russia, China, Venezuela, Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, India, Myanmar . . . this great lifter of veils over systematic violation of human rights by national governments?
    He's charged with computer hacking, not with publishing classified information. Legally, the question is not about what he published, but whether he broke the law to get the material.

Which is a bit of a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    He had just released documents concerning the head of state from the country who had been giving him asylum, so either he has gone mad, or the truth is more important. It is obvious to most people that some states are not the democracies they pretend to be, but perhaps America seems to bear the brunt as its foreign policy of invading other countries, and then complaining about other countries militaries in Soveriegn nations by invitation is completely hypocritical. Its quite possible he has read cables that he has not disclosed publicly, there does seem to be some bad vibes between him and Clinton. And yes there was stuff posted about Putin and a money trail of Oligarchs. I see most people have already forgotten about journalist Kasshoggi getting cut up and the starving millions in Yemen, so why fuss about the 12 people killed? You have to ask yourself if you think state sponsered killing of journalists because of leaking embarrassing FACTS is a crime worthy of death, what value do you put on truth?

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    He's charged with computer hacking, not with publishing classified information. Legally, the question is not about what he published, but whether he broke the law to get the material.

So thats at most a 5 year stretch if he gets to be tried in a civilian court and not some secret military court in which case he will be wearing an orange jump suit and on his way to Cuba......

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post

That's what he's charged with. That doesn't mean that's all he did. His argument is that the publishing justifies the hacking. Whether he leaked anything about other countries is very germane to that argument. Whether he hacked other countries may or may not be.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Impeccable timing.
    Nosce te ipsum