Thread: Government spying?

Default Government spying?

I see where Barr has started an investigation - disclosed to Congress - of 'the govt.', and is alleging there was illegal 'spying' on the Trump campaign, carried out by 'high govt leadership'. Very inflammatory accusations, and he refuses to back that up with any basis. That ought to be actionable.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Default Re: Government spying?

The guy is a Trump toady.

"When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" -- Lord Acton

And those gangster types do what they must to create confusion, division, and dysfunction - to further enable the concentration of wealth and power.

It's getting worse. It will continue to get worse - until we reverse the slide toward laissez-faire policies, and clean house politically.
    Last edited by David G; 04-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The entire cabal needs to be deported to Moscow.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I see where Barr has started an investigation - disclosed to Congress - of 'the govt.', and is alleging there was illegal 'spying' on the Trump campaign, carried out by 'high govt leadership'. Very inflammatory accusations, and he refuses to back that up with any basis. That ought to be actionable.
    He needs to be held accountable for that! That's Deep State horse manure.

Yep; but when the inmates are in charge of the prison - who's gonna hold them accountable?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Trump knew what he was doing when he nominated Barr for Attorney General. Shame on congress.
    "In 1964, the GOP ceased to be the party of Lincoln and became the party of Southern whites. As I now look back with the clarity of hindsight, I am convinced that coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern Republican Party than all of the domestic and foreign policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts like me. This is what liberals have been saying for decades. I never believed them." -- Max Boot

Barr is not stupid. He knows that in every such investigation before, from Watergate to White Water, the entire report was provided to Congress unredacted. There is no precedent for what Barr is doing.

I would say that today's 'Republican' Party represents the very worst that humanity has to offer.

They lie to the electorate, cheat people out of their pensions and benefits, steal elections and are quite happy to kill hundreds of thousands of Iraqis for no discernible benefit to anyone other than the MIC and associated contractors.

Their behavior can in no way be described as 'conservative' yet they continue to howl that they are the conservative voice of America.

They are not.

The conservative voice belongs to the Democratic Party, by default, because the 'Republican' Party has followed its amoral compass out into the wilderness, where they scream imprecations at imaginary communists, and hallucinate about the Muslim Terrorist in the White House.

The only times these madmen are 'lucid' is when they are trying to disenfranchise people who won't vote for them, when they are stealing from the poor, when they attempt to deflect attention from their lies and misdeeds, or when they work to silence those of us who understand the monumental evil they are creating to destroy the Republic they claim to love.

They remind me of nothing so much as a drunken, abusive spouse with a firearms addiction. You just know that, sooner or later, something REALLY ugly is going to happen.

Any questions?
    Rattling the teacups.

Yeah - I have one:

I thought you were unhappy with Reps these days, but after that glowing description, I have to ask what made you change your mind & decide to like 'em?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I don't think we're quite to 'the very worst that humanity has to offer' stage yet. But we are accelerating in that direction, and getting dangerously close.

My question is: how do you see a turnaround happening - strategically & tactically?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Yeah - I have one:

I thought you were unhappy with Reps these days, but after that glowing description, I have to ask what made you change your mind & decide to like 'em?
    Just call me a humanitarian (©GL)
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Trump knew what he was doing when he nominated Barr for Attorney General. Shame on congress.
    Yeah. And again, McConnell needs to be strung up for his role in enabling the confirmation. The Senate wilfully not doing its job, just as the POTUS is incapable of doing his.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I would say that today's 'Republican' Party represents the very worst that humanity has to offer.

They are quite happy to kill hundreds of thousands of Iraqis for no discernible benefit to anyone other than the MIC and associated contractors.

Any questions?
    Yeah, so what about the mess in Libya started by Obama and Clinton, and what about Obama signing off on more drone strikes on civilians than any other president? Biased memory or is slaughter by democrats ok in your book?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Yeah, so what about the mess in Libya started by Obama and Clinton, and what about Obama signing off on more drone strikes on civilians than any other president? Biased memory or is slaughter by democrats ok in your book?
    What about you go find someone who gives a rip about your hatred?
    Rattling the teacups.

All the popular folk are putting skarry on ignore.

Just a thought.

Intelligence agencies keeping tabs of Russian operatives were led to Trump campaign people. They did not spy on US citizens but the did note when Russian operatives interacted with Trump campaign people. They informed Obama who attempted to warn Trump and the Republicans. McConnell promised to go nuclear if Obama attempted to warn US citizens of Russian meddling. And there it is. Nothing new here.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    What about you go find someone who gives a rip about your hatred?
    So i guess uncomfortable facts equals hatred in your book? If you want to be taken seriously, the least you could do is be honest with yourself, clearly you are not with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Intelligence agencies keeping tabs of Russian operatives were led to Trump campaign people. They did not spy on US citizens but the did note when Russian operatives interacted with Trump campaign people. They informed Obama who attempted to warn Trump and the Republicans. McConnell promised to go nuclear if Obama attempted to warn US citizens of Russian meddling. And there it is. Nothing new here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzFdMy4gIdQ
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

All the popular folk are putting skarry on ignore.

Just a thought.
    Ignorance is bliss. Must be great to be so close minded, saves having to work the brain into accepting there are other thoughts outside of the US that might conflict with your own. Adults debate, children stick there fingers in their ears, or put people on ignore......

I'm looking forward to seeing what different colors William Barr has chosen for his redactions of the Mueller report.

Fuschia? Mauve? Terra Rosa? Brown Madder?
    "In 1964, the GOP ceased to be the party of Lincoln and became the party of Southern whites. As I now look back with the clarity of hindsight, I am convinced that coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern Republican Party than all of the domestic and foreign policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts like me. This is what liberals have been saying for decades. I never believed them." -- Max Boot

I'm beginning to think repealing the ACA was a diversion for tearing down the entire government.

Any thoughts on what will replace the federal government or are we going for anarchy?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Yep; but when the inmates are in charge of the prison - who's gonna hold them accountable?
    MY question exactly. Who stops them? This isn't a movie where good always wins in the end.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Barr is not stupid. He knows that in every such investigation before, from Watergate to White Water, the entire report was provided to Congress unredacted. There is no precedent for what Barr is doing.
    Trump and his administration don't care about precedent, rules, or laws. And no one is going to make them.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    I'm beginning to think repealing the ACA was a diversion for tearing down the entire government.

Any thoughts on what will replace the federal government or are we going for anarchy?
    These morons have never had a game plan beyond 'drown it in a bath tub'.
    Rattling the teacups.

The collusion delusion morons?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

He has started to walk back the inflammatory verbiage a bit.

The fact remains however, that I sure hope to hell the FBI WAS investigating his campaign. If they had suspicions of a Russian connection or influence, it would be criminal for them to look the other way.

Barr really is a stooge of the current president, isn't he? Bah.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    He has started to walk back the inflammatory verbiage a bit.

The fact remains however, that I sure hope to hell the FBI WAS investigating his campaign. If they had suspicions of a Russian connection or influence, it would be criminal for them to look the other way.

Barr really is a stooge of the current president, isn't he? Bah.
    The seed has been planted. This administration is clearly inciting division in this country. That in itself should be against the law, a high crime. Here's the thing, if the FBI, CIA, or whoever, started this investigation on the basis of politics, I get it, we can't have that as a nation. But, not once did I hear that from a republican during the Benghazi investigations, which lasted for 72 months and produced nothing in terms of even a wiff of wrong doing. This false rage form the snowflake Trump supporters is to be expected. Not once did they condemn the birther allegations or the allegations that Obama was a Muslim, allegations, which, on their own are bigoted because even if he were a Muslim, why should we care, "no religious test".

The No Religious Test Clause of the United States Constitution is a clause within Article VI, Clause 3. By its plain terms, no federal officeholder or employee can be required to adhere to or accept any particular religion or doctrine as a prerequisite to holding a federal office or a federal government job. It immediately follows a clause requiring all federal and state officers to take an oath or affirmation to support the Constitution. This clause contains the only explicit reference to religion in the original seven articles of the U.S. Constitution.
    Let's be clear. Trump represents a temper tantrum from the truly ignorant, racist, and mal-intentioned in this country. There is no arguing with them. My only comment to our resident Trump supporters is, there will be a day when Trump is no longer POTUS, by election, or by impeachment, when this day comes, the likelihood that you will ever see the likes of Trump again is narrow. What will you do then? The pendulum always swings the other way. The losers now will soon be the ones to win.

The fastest growing religious group is "none".
    White people are finally realizing, en mass, that we are not special, at least no more special than all the various shades of brown people.
    Brown people are finding their voice and using it.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Actually, I thought Barr’s comments were reasonably measured, especially by Trumpian standards. And we knew the Inspector General was already looking at this.

It could go in a political direction, but I can also see him concluding that there was probable cause to investigate people like Carter Page, but also pursuing some reasonable institutional protections. If so, he will deeply disappoint Trump.

(Wouldn’t it be amusing to see Trump take on another AG? Barr pretty clearly said in his nomination hearings that he didn’t really want or need the job ... he’s much more of a traditional Republican than a Tea Party Trumper. President Trump said today that he likes his Cabinet. He’s said that about every version of it so far, including the Cabinets that contain people he now routinely insults.)

"Trump knew what he was doing when he nominated Barr for Attorney General. Shame on congress."
    So do you think the US is at the stage it can be called a Gangster Republic yet?

That's it.
    Rattling the teacups.

From another thread:

Summary Judgment

Why is Barr — a lawman presumably devoted to the fact pattern and dedicated to the rule of law — taking it upon himself to single-handedly and repeatedly offer subjective and definitive appraisals of the complex and troubling events that have hung over the Trump presidency? I’ll take a page from Barr and offer my own subjective and definitive take:

1. His ego is substantial and he’s having the time of his life, or
    2. He has an imperial view of the presidency and doesn’t care about the character of the person who inhabits it, or
    3. He’s his boss’s legal hatchet man, or
    4. All of the above.

Trump has complained, notably, that Jeff Sessions didn’t act like Roy Cohn when he was attorney general. Cohn was a ruthless and sleazy attack dog who taught Trump how to weaponize the legal system to get his own way as a young developer in New York. Barr certainly isn’t anything like Cohn. But he’s trying.