View Poll Results: Do you wear a wedding ring?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 47.22%
  • No

13 36.11%
  • No because it is too small.

2 5.56%
  • Yes on a chain around my neck

0 0%
  • Other - discuss below LOL

4 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding rings

Question Wedding rings

Inspired by a recent post
    I just used the Dremel to cut off the wedding ring off a friend swollen finger . . .
    About two years ago I managed to get my wedding ring off my finger.

It was so difficult that I did not put it back on again. My finger, two years later, still had a 'indentation' mark where the ring had 'cut into' the finger.

Can you easily remove and replace your wedding ring? or would you need a 'Dremel' ?

Yes, I know, get the ring enlarged.
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 04-10-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: bacon changed to back on
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Wedding rings

I got mine enlarged some time ago after I got myself enlarged.

I am working to reduce me and then the ring...

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Why would an unmarried man wear a wedding ring? I was given a few from long deceased family members, I've given them to my nephews, my great nephews who were married but, didn't have one.

I've got one left; one from a pair of earrings the czar gave to one of my ancestors for helping to free the serfs. My brother got one but, his wife refuses to wear that one. Too umm gauche!

I wore the same 1/4" wide band on my right hand for almost 50 years and then visited the person who had made it. She didn't remember making it or giving it to me. So the next time the nurses wanted me to remove all my jewelry before surgery I let them cut it off. They used a little hand-cranked rotary saw.

The indentation in my finger is still there two years later.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Why would an unmarried man wear a wedding ring? I was given a few from long deceased family members, I've given them to my nephews, my great nephews who were married but, didn't have one.
    Started, IIRC, with my father then me.

We had a plain signet ring

given to us on our 21st which we wore on 'ring' finger on our right hand and when we got married it was transferred to our left to do duty as a wedding ring. Mine is engraved on the inner surface.

Scottish ancestry?

A friend declined to wear one and when his wife to be 'complained' he said they would add what his would have cost to the price of hers. Situation defused. LOL
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 04-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Only when I am married
    Elect a clown expect a circus

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

RP, I'm not a ring person, my father never wore a ring although he was married for 55 yrs. I've seen a ring that would be like one of yours, not a wedding ring but, it must have gone to some other family, related probably as it was a family piece.

I put my wedding / engagement ring on every morning and take it off every night. I don't like sleeping with it on since the prongs that hold the diamond solitaire on the engagement ring stick up so far.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I put my wedding / engagement ring on every morning and take it off every night. I don't like sleeping with it on since the prongs that hold the diamond solitaire on the engagement ring stick up so far.
    So, you are complaining that the diamond he gave you is too big?

I had to take mine off for the first time in over 40 years this January. Took some liquid soap and patience.
    Now wearing it again.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Inspired by a recent post

About two years ago I managed to get my wedding ring off my finger.

It was so difficult that I did not put it bacon again.
    Bacon?
    You can't get rasher than that.

Been living with her for about 33 years but not married so no rings.

I love my wedding ring - but wear it only on ceremonial occasions. I work in a shop - can't wear it every day.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I only wear mine on special occasions. Working on machinery while wearing a metal band doesn't meet my safety rules.

I take mine off every night. I don't like sleeping with a ring on
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I wear mine most of the time except when I'm working with machinery, and always take it off at night. Rings can be resized, FWIW.

Here's a ring stretcher:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I wear my plain gold wedding ring almost all the time. I'm into the second ring now, same wife though. I lost the first one while swimming in a lake. Rings do that, ask Gollum. My wife and I both got new rings and decided to make it a tradition to remarry every 30 years.

/Erik

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    So, you are complaining that the diamond he gave you is too big?
    It is a nice rock, but it mostly has to do with the way the setting is raised up.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

I do two kinds of rings. One platinum & gold given to me when i was married. I also have a work/play silver Tiffany’s very good knock off. Slightly oversized for comfort. I know this place in New York off Canal Street that has the best knockoffs. The ring was 15 dollars (I bought 3). I am down to one as one fell into the drink when sailing last summer and the other fell off my finger and rolled under several occupied bathroom stalls at a dirty truck stop on a cold morning ride.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Rings can be resized, FWIW.
    Only by a few sizes (I was told). Apparently, I put on more weight than I care to admit. Then they need to add metal...

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    It is a nice rock, but it mostly has to do with the way the setting is raised up.
    My mother gave her mother's diamond to my fiance. We had it set in the wedding band using a solid band of gold around the stone, so it's not set on prongs like most diamonds. It doesn't glitter as much, but it's surprisingly solid and doesn't catch on things. Plus, she was very touched by my mother's gesture (and not at all surprised that I am cheap).

I never wore one, even though I did have one, when we married. Part of the reason: I don't like wearing rings. Another part of the reason: it's too much of a hazard when working on live circuitry... a short circuit caused by the ring could give you a VERY nasty burn.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

We're actually on our third set. The originals we had custom-made when we were first seriously together, about two years before we got married. They started to deteriorate, and my wife's kept breaking, so after about 20 years we replaced them with an off-the shelf pair. Those lasted almost 20 years more, and then I lost mine, so we replaced them again. They all look sort of similar (silver, no jewels, not at all fancy, vaguely celtic).
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I don't like wearing rings.
    My wedding band is the only jewelry that I wear. However, I don't really consider it jewelry so much as a statement. It's more like my glasses - just a part of who I am. I no longer even wear a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Another part of the reason: it's too much of a hazard when working on live circuitry... a short circuit caused by the ring could give you a VERY nasty burn.
    That I understand big time along with those who work with heavy machinery..

I take off my ring when I'm working out in the gym, the barbells are knurled and scratch the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    I take off my ring when I'm working out in the gym, the barbells are knurled and scratch the ring.
    Just don't let it roll off the deck.

Rattling the teacups.

I have never worn jewelry of any kind. I don't even own a tie clip, which is not particularly surprising since I don't own a tie. First wife had a ring. Current wife does not. If she wants one she can buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Just don't let it roll off the deck.

Good memory, brag!
    These days I still put the ring on top of my cell phone but I don't pick it up unless the shoji are closed.

My Dad wouldn't wear a wedding ring because he reckoned he'd lose a finger doing farm work- one of my uncles did just that. A girlfriend bought me a ring as a birthday present when I was in my early twenties. I hadn't been wearing it long when I jumped off the back of a land cruiser after loading sheep. The ring hooked on a piece of weld mesh on the top of the stock crate and left me standing on tippy toes on one foot with blood dribbling down under my arm- swore I'd never wear another ring. Then the wife put one on my finger and I gave her my word that it would never come off. It hasn't yet- but it's getting mighty thin on one side. I have wide knuckles from the work I've done so it wouldn't come off without cutting it anyway. I wear different rings on my right hand- just a carry over from my misspent youth JayInOz

Unmarried. No ring.

I told my girlfriend that if we marry (hopefully one day when times are better financially) we'd better spend the money on something she wants for herself than on a ring that I would never wear.
    The reason is that with my trade and my hobbies combined with my forgetfulness I would certainly either catch the ring on something and have a very nasty and likely crippling accident or break the ring or loose it.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

No I do not wear my ring.
    Most customer sites I visit I an not allowed to wear a ring.
    When I am sailing I do not like the ideas of having a ring catch on a line and damage my finger.
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man canít do." Captain Jack Sparrow

Been a long time since I was married. I had silver rings made with our names inscribed in elvish Tengwar script. We were big LOTR fans. I lost mine in a cave and the next day my wife lost hers while swimming in a river. True story.
    To do something pleasant
    with no
    Because.

My ring never comes off. I wear a Claddagh ring as a wedding band.

HipstamaticPhoto-576625114.616537.jpg

So the story behind the Claddagh if you've never heard is:

The hands symbolizes friendship,
    the crown symbolizes loyalty.
    and the heart symbolizes love.
    If you wear it on your right hand with the heart facing out it means you're looking.
    If you hear it on your left with the heart facing in it means your heart is taken.

Renee got it for me imported directly from Ireland and it was placed on my finger the day we got married and has never left my finger since.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Being a sailor, I wear no jewelry. It might get caught on a gaff span shackle. But most always have a knife.
    Been married 35 years .

Iíve been wearing a silicone ring for a couple of years. They are sold for people who canít wear metal rings for safety reasons. Military, police, farmers, woodworkers, sailors. Very comfortable, I always hated the feel of a rigid metal ring on my finger. The worst was when a big drip of molten solder landed on my gold wedding ring while soldering up some copper pipe. Gold is such a good conductor that the burn on my finger went right around instantly. I was lucky there was a bucket of water right there or it would have been worse.

https://www.saferingz.com/ringbuilde...c&isthin=false