View Poll Results: Do you wear a wedding ring?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 47.22%
  • No

13 36.11%
  • No because it is too small.

2 5.56%
  • Yes on a chain around my neck

0 0%
  • Other - discuss below LOL

4 11.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding rings

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Wedding rings

Silicone ring.... that go on yer finger Steven?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Silicone ring.... that go on yer finger Steven?
    ZIng .....
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Hollister, CA -- Paris of the West (not!)

Been wearing mine for nearly 34 years, and I seldom take it off -- but I can. I always intend to remove it when working around machinery, because I've narrowly missed losing that finger a time or three, but I almost always forget to do so. I may look into one of those silicone jobs.

You can wear your wedding ring wherever you like, Bruce. Who am I to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    The worst was when a big drip of molten solder landed on my gold wedding ring while soldering up some copper pipe.
    did it suck the solder in, you know like a perfectly sweated copper pipe joint does?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I wore mine all the time I was married except when sailing, mountaineering, or working on moving machinery.

I wore mine all the time I was married except when sailing, mountaineering, or working on moving machinery. There are many not so obvious reasons for wearing the ring when solo in social situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    did it suck the solder in, you know like a perfectly sweated copper pipe joint does?
    Oh, yeah. And the circular burn around my finger was the exact shape of the ring plus the solidified odd-shaped lump of solder fused permanently into it.

My wife and have identical gold bands that are engraved with each others name and our wedding date.
    31 years and it has never been off and now I can't take it off anyway.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

My daughter made our rings.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

My wife died 9 1/2 years ago. I took it off a year or so afterward. I put it on every now and again just because but I don't wear it anymore. I'm single now but I gave my heart away a long time ago. It won't be returned in this lifetime.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by DMillet View Post
    My wife died 9 1/2 years ago. I took it off a year or so afterward. I put it on every now and again just because but I don't wear it anymore. I'm single now but I gave my heart away a long time ago. It won't be returned in this lifetime.
    This is when empathy kicks onto gear. I’m joking around, you are not. What you are doing runs in my family. My mom remained married to my pop 32 years after he died. My older sister is a widow, she may never even look at another man.

I got an adjustable ring.
    When I get married I just tighten it up to my current finger size. When I catch her cheating, I divorce her and take off the ring.
    Next!
    Sam Bach

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    This is when empathy kicks onto gear. I’m joking around, you are not. What you are doing runs in my family. My mom remained married to my pop 32 years after he died. My older sister is a widow, she may never even look at another man.
    I used to think it was a choice, whether one coupled up again or not. Now that I've had two failed relationships after her, I've come to realize that I found "the one" a long time ago. Could I find someone else that I could make a life with? Maybe. Does it matter? I'm not sure I can answer that. I know way too many people that never found someone they could live with. I found her, loved her, and made a life with her. We raised four children and I held her hand as she left this earth. There's nothing important that I haven't experienced. It's turtles all the way down now.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    No I do not wear my ring.
    Most customer sites I visit I an not allowed to wear a ring.
    When I am sailing I do not like the ideas of having a ring catch on a line and damage my finger.
    A lot of guys in construction use those same lines. None true. They cheat on their wives.
    Show me a document related to your work that says you must remove your wedding ring. Then show it to your wife.
    Sam Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Cargo View Post
    A lot of guys in construction use those same lines. None true. They cheat on their wives.
    Show me a document related to your work that says you must remove your wedding ring. Then show it to your wife.
    I used to wear a ring. Shortly after I started in my current job, construction related, that ring was crushed and I had to cut it off my finger. I don't wear rings anymore.

And I'm not married.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I used to wear a ring. Shortly after I started in my current job, construction related, that ring was crushed and I had to cut it off my finger. I don't wear rings anymore.

And I'm not married.
    I was crushed when my marriage ended as well. I sold my ring to help out a bum. You do what you feel is necessary.
    Sam Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Cargo View Post
    Actually, in my job, I did have to remove ALL jewelry. Was even asked to remove my little silver earring once. I could easily provide paperwork. My father was never allowed to wear his wedding ring on a job (he was a lineman). There's ZERO chance I would have ever cheated. My father was the same kind of man. Some men cheat. I never did, and never would have. The thing is, if you need to worry about it, the ring isn't going to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DMillet View Post
    The thing is, if you need to worry about it, the ring isn't going to matter.
    Game, point, match to you.
    Sam Bach

When my girlfriend and I talked abot people cheating:

Me:You have always teased me for my unability to remember more than one thing at once. We both know that I am mentally unable to think of more than one woman just because there would be too many things to remember and keep track of.
    She: Yes I know that....... but at times I fear that you some day may forget the one women too........ and while under the false impression that you are single go looking for another woman
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

some heartfelt posts above, several of which I'd like to reference...
    I was late to marriage, mid 40's, and a lifelong mariner. Couple years after my wedding, I sailed to a close (relatively-35 miles) island, alone. Anchored, furling main (38' sloop) as I swung my hand over the boom in furling the main, ...ping, splat, ring overboard! I heaved overboard the closest thing, my lifeline harness, to mark the spot. Next morning, I began the search, not deep (15-20 feet) but with wind direction variable, a large area. Eventually found it, but it cost some pain, bleeding, and dismay. When I eventually got home, wife and sister said..."ok, but you didnt have to do that!" 20ish years later, I get that, I didnt have to do that, but at the time, it felt important.
    Symbols are what we make them, for better or worse.

Never have worn a ring, industrially unsafe.
    Anne never wears hers these days, too much in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    When my girlfriend and I talked abot people cheating:

Me:You have always teased me for my unability to remember more than one thing at once. We both know that I am mentally unable to think of more than one woman just because there would be too many things to remember and keep track of.
    She: Yes I know that....... but at times I fear that you some day may forget the one women too........ and while under the false impression that you are single go looking for another woman
    Quite frighting how they can come up with a possible scenario that fast.
    To do something pleasant
    with no
    Because.

I wore mine on my finger for about a week.
    It had to be large to go over my knuckle,but once there,was too baggy and caught everything at work (framing crew and industrial wood shop).
    Wore it on a chain for several years,until cleaning up some brush one day,it got caught just as I tossed a branch onto a big pile.
    Gone.
    We looked for about 1/2 hour and I haven't really even thought about it for 20 years.
    The marriage is still pretty good ,though.
    Pretty sure. At least I think it is.
    Hmmmm.

R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    some heartfelt posts above, several of which I'd like to reference...
    I was late to marriage, mid 40's, and a lifelong mariner. Couple years after my wedding, I sailed to a close (relatively-35 miles) island, alone. Anchored, furling main (38' sloop) as I swung my hand over the boom in furling the main, ...ping, splat, ring overboard! I heaved overboard the closest thing, my lifeline harness, to mark the spot. Next morning, I began the search, not deep (15-20 feet) but with wind direction variable, a large area. Eventually found it, but it cost some pain, bleeding, and dismay. When I eventually got home, wife and sister said..."ok, but you didnt have to do that!" 20ish years later, I get that, I didnt have to do that, but at the time, it felt important.
    Symbols are what we make them, for better or worse.
    BUT they were (silently?) appreciative that you did do it.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

This I know: Getting any more than forty bucks selling a simple gold band to a pawn shop, is as unlikely as saving several hundred bucks by not buying another identical simple gold band from a jeweler, and wearing the old one, tainted by the previous sentence, er, uh, marital bond.
    Nicely whelmed.

I wear my wedding ring except in the gym doing deadlifts. The knurling on the bar rips it up.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

My Wife's engagement rig is a custom made band. The wedding ring is one of those creepy diamond rings. I did NOT pick it out. I despise diamonds. She rarely wears the wedding band, anymore, but wears the engagement band, always.

I don't wear a ring, anymore. I did, for a while, but I have to take it off so often, I was worried to lose it. I NEVER wear jewelry when working, so... The chinstrap serves it's purpose, on that front.

Man, I love my wife's cute little hands...

Peace,
    Robert

Oh, yeah. And the circular burn around my finger was the exact shape of the ring plus the solidified odd-shaped lump of solder fused permanently into it.
    Permanently?

Gold melting point: 1,948F

Solder melting point: 370 F

The contemporaneous Her had a previously booked Hawaiian excursion with an old girlfriend from school, just about the time She and I were getting serious. She bought me a silver 'boy friend ring' with a band of Hawaiian koa wood veneer inlaid. After a year or two whatever coating was on the koa became partially delaminated, so I replaced part of koa with a similar looking piece of something like rosewood or walnut. Then some mystery alchemy turned that to a golden color so it doesn't match. It went from being a 'boy friend ring' to a wedding ring, when I need to get cleaned up to go somewhere with Her.

We bought Her a traditional SGB, and She also wears my mom's engagement solitaire. I think. Maybe that was number four?
    Nicely whelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Permanently?

Gold melting point: 1,948F

Solder melting point: 370 F
    I know. But the jeweler that I brought it too said that the solder had fused with the gold and that it couldn’t be cleaned up. Maybe he just didn’t want to be bothered.

I know. But the jeweler that I brought it too said that the solder had fused with the gold and that it couldn’t be cleaned up. Maybe he just didn’t want to be bothered.
    Really?

Take it to another jeweler.

OR gently heat it with a blow torch concentrating the flame on the solder. Should almost drip off.

I am sure other forumites on here can tell you the best way to go about it.

Really?

Take it to another jeweler.

OR gently heat it with a blow torch concentrating the flame on the solder. Should almost drip off.

I am sure other forumites on here can tell you the best way to go about it.
    Don't have a lot of experience with solder, eh?
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Don't have a lot of experience with solder, eh?
    Nope, which is why I suggested what I posted.

Nope, which is why I suggested what I posted.
    And why I responded as I did.
    Rattling the teacups.