Thread: Snapchat Botox

Default Snapchat Botox

So this may be somewhat off topic. Tess my 21 year old daughter asked me to Snapchat her to keep in touch. So yesterday Renee & I downloaded and were playing with the app. We soon realized it alters and makes you look better but a little disturbingly better. I went ahead and called it the Botox & Juvederm filter

. Now I think my wife is a natural soon to be 50 beauty, but I know she doesn't look this smooth and model like. My daughter spends a lot of time with these filters and I worry about her self image and her NATURAL beauty. Are this filters affecting young people

Me on the other hand I kinda look ....... um a little queer

IMG_0341.jpg

LOL
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Snapchat Botox

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

Me on the other hand I kinda look ....... um a little queer
    A little? I'd say 'flaming'!
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

It's tat pixie dust, Joe.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    A little? I'd say 'flaming'!
    Sweetness

The point it these filters are OBVIOUSLY designed for girls / young woman and not 55 year old grizzled bald men . I watch hoards of young girls take and retake selfies only to immediately look at them and decide if the selfie has the perfect filter and look to be posted for all the world to see. The process is a social experiment to witness, they hold it at a specific angel make some ridiculously posed face and then a split second later the happy face is gone and they need to examine the photo, that looks NOTHING like them, then retake if necessary.

Hey obviously I take a lot of selfies, mostly just for fun and the heck of it, almost all are unposed and a quick snap to document the moment, and NONE are filtered to make my old ugly mug look any better.

What kind of message does this send, sorry girls but you don't look like that photo, and the image you are presenting is a hyper beatified avatar of who you really are. What are the psychological ramifications of this on the developing mind of a young woman ?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

inevitable once phones came with cameras. Self loathing is epidemic.

Renee looks better without the filter. The filter makes her look like a statue with no natural movement or grace ( which your pictures of her prove she has)
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Seems to me if young women can control the images and modify them they’d be less likely to give mass media power to define their looks. In a way this is like makeup they can put on.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Seems to me if young women can control the images and modify them they’d be less likely to give mass media power to define their looks. In a way this is like makeup they can put on.
    You think girls and women control their own choices with make-up rather than conforming to a societal "norm"? You think they control their own ideas of what their image should be?

interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    You think girls and women control their own choices with make-up rather than conforming to a societal "norm"? You think they control their own ideas of what their image should be?

interesting.
    I think individual girls and women vary in their ability to define themselves, just as boys and men do. In this app a person sees that they can create an altered image of themselves as opposed to seeing all published images as portrayals of reality. It degrades the power of mass media to present an ideal image of a person.

But I thought the internet would enable people to be more informed and I was wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I think individual girls and women vary in their ability to define themselves, just as boys and men do. In this app a person sees that they can create an altered image of themselves as opposed to seeing all published images as portrayals of reality. It degrades the power of mass media to present an ideal image of a person.

But I thought the internet would enable people to be more informed and I was wrong about that.
    How is this not mass media? The app controls what can be done. The images are shared through the app. There will be "standard" types of image modifications that become approved by consumers, and others which aren't. People will modify their images, or "choose" the modifications, which conform.

The true non-conformists won't use this app at all.

It brings to mind all of the stupid internet challenges (ice-bucket challenge), or dances or whatever. People generally don't want to be individual, they want to fit in and be seen as normal, so they follow the crowd.

exposure to any media leads to more conformity and less variety

I realize that I'm a dinosaur.
    Last edited by Decourcy; 04-08-2019 at 09:22 PM.

It's all part of a plot to make humans accept AI. When we start seeing each other as fake-improved-manufactured beings, the job will be done. Then, only the super-rich will thrive, while a few rebels take to ground, planning the overthrow of the overlords and their robotic army. Someday.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My girlfriend is a bit of a unconventional beauty. Very beautiful though not by the very particular and detailed standards promoted by models and media.

Having heard all that she has gone through it is very obvious that society is on the wrong track.
    She is strong and well on ther way to rebuild both a healthy body and a healthy mind and a healthy concept of self.......... but many aren't that strong...... and nobody should have to go through that ordeal!
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland