Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anthonymigliore
    • Apr 2019

Trying to identify a wooden sailboat

I am a new guy. So I am ready for the feedback that I stupid and posted this in the wrong place. Just trying to find my way!
    I have begun restoring a 22' cold rolled wooden sailboat. Some of you might have seen this for sale in southern California. Its in my shop now.
    I posted some pictures, including one photo I found that is a sailboat that looks "similar" and I will pass the "information" that the seller passed to me.
    Seller states it is late 50s vintage. Hauled on its trailer from Michigan. Aluminum mast and boom might have replaced original wood ones. Came with 2 sets of sails, and 2 spinnakers and is rigged for a spinnaker with pole. Sanded the gray paint off a 12"x12" area and it has mahogany outer layer. Will look great when stained and varnished. Actually, all is there and if it does not sink, it could be rigged and sailed right now. But will go through it.

OK, what is it? Any info?
    Attached Files
  • Ben Fuller
    • Jan 2000

Re: Trying to identify a wooden sailboat

Open up the sails and see if there is an emblem on the main
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Comment

• Anthonymigliore
      • Apr 2019

Ben
      Great idea! Did not use both sides of my brain. Running over there tomorrow to unfurl the main. It has a crank operated furling system that rolls the main around the boom. Never have seen that before but smart furling system. Stand by..... MiG

Comment

• johnw
        • Nov 2001

Looks like a Hogdon 21, which I think might also have been sold as the Great Lakes 21.

Later called INTERNATIONAL 21. This class has a very complicated history which still needs to be researched and summarized.

If I'm right, plans are available from our sponsor.

On the trailing edge of technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-John-L.../dp/B07LC6Y934

http://www.scribd.com/johnmwatkins/documents

http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Phil Y
          Banned
          • Apr 2010

Roller furling is a pain. Very slow to roll up or down, useless for reefing. Plan on getting rid of it.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• johngsandusky
            • Dec 2003

Everyone has a preference, before changing anything I would try it in practice.
            Whatever she is, good luck with her, keep us posted.

Comment

• stromborg
              • Sep 2010

I've been re-reading Maurice Griffiths books about sailing the coast of England, he seems to have rather liked roller furling.
              Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
              H.A. Calahan

Comment

• StevenBauer
                LPBC member
                • Jan 2000

We like the roller reefing on Talisman, too. Quick and easy, never any problem.

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
                  Irritant, Level 2
                  • Nov 2006

What a fun boat. Paint and sail her fist before changing the rig. A good roller furling would make her easy to handle and depower. Since the former owners changed the rig, there is a good chance she is well thought out. The possibilities to turbo it are good too.

Yes, keep us informed!
                  Without friends none of this is possible.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                    • Jun 2003

Roller furling is especially good if you want to remain on the boat...

As far as reefing a roller furling jib, my sailmaker suggested "Try it", which I did and noted that Hey! it works.
                    Not as well as a 50% smaller jib perhaps, but when conditions actually dictate reefing or furling the jib, staying off the foredeck is the correct answer.
                    Racing is different, you can risk your life for that.

Comment

• StevenBauer
                      LPBC member
                      • Jan 2000

Back to the original post: cold rolled is a process for making steel - cold molded is the technique for building boats with thin veneers and epoxy glue. But I think if your boat is from the 50’s it’s probably hot molded. The veneers were coated with glue then placed over a mold and heated in an autoclave under high temperature and pressure.

This technique was used in England a lot after the war and in the US, too, a little. I have a hot molded canoe built by Luders in Stamford ct that was built this way in ‘46 or ‘47. Lots of the Luders sailboats were built with this technique. It originated with their minesweepers in the War.

Like this:

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                        • Apr 1999

During WWII there were many "wooden" airplanes produced in England, the US, and Canada. After the war, lots of pretty big autoclaves and the US economy really broke loose with massive industrial capacity suddenly looking for a civilian market. The post-war pre-glass pleasure boat explosion in the US was fueled right there. Many small boats, like the Thistle, came flying out, and some larger cruising boats.

Comment

• StevenBauer
                          LPBC member
                          • Jan 2000

If you really want to pinpoint the design accurately record length, beam, draft, sails-shape and size. Spars, too. Then we will know what we are trying to match up with. Any builders plaques or marks inside would be helpful, too. More pics, too. We can see the thumbnail pics on the bottom of one of the screenshots. Maybe you could post them here directly,

It’s not a Dragon like the last pic you posted, but’s it’s a really nice boat!

Comment

• Anthonymigliore
                            • Apr 2019

So we did some snooping about with all the great information posted.
                            Yes, the boats hull is molded, not rolled. I mis-wrote the word. The boat is VERY similar to the Hodgdon 21 that Johnw lead us to. Like 95%+ match. Maybe the builder made a few design changes to mine like cockpit combing, etc. So very, very close to the design that if there are no better leads by the time we are done with the resto, she will be a Hodgdon 21 when she hits the water. Then, with my typical luck, some guy will come up to me at the dock and state, thats NOT a Hodgdon 21 its a Smithinheimer 21 you idiot!
                            With the great mahogany shell, she will be stripped, stained and varnished. Dont know whats under the paint on deck but its not teak. Darn it! So most likey get white urethane and nonskid.
                            Will trailer it from Socal to our lake house on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri.

Thanks for all the help. Will post a picture when she hits the water.
                            MiG, the feeble minded Naval Aviator

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                              Who?
                              • Aug 1999

She’s lovely. Be warned that getting all the paint off the topsides and transom do you can varnish may be a real chore, and if you settle for just varnishing the transom to show that she’s wooden, the cognoscenti who troop to admire her will understand... The alloy spars may be original; they came in before GRP did.
                              IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

Working...