Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Panel & Frame

Default Instrument Panel & Frame

OK..this is for my frozen snot boat ( Santana 35 ), but the stuff I'm using is all wood, so hopefully this won't reject like last week's tuna casserole.

I got the boat 2 years ago and caught up on the basic maintenance that had been neglected for the previous 8 years. Now I'm starting on enhancements and fixing original design issues, ie: the ridiculous location for the switch bank and motor controls.

I'm sure for production reasons they decided to put the switch bank on the engine compartment bulkhead, behind the companionway ladder and overhung by several inches of deck. Impossible to see standing up and I don't even want to think about needing to turn something on while flopping around in a seaway:
    IMG_4697.jpg

Mine came with an optional shelf at the Nav station which just begs for better usage so I mocked one up in foam board:
    IMG_3872.jpg

...and then in scrap wood:
    IMG_4656.jpg

I dug around in my "odds 'n ends" and found enough teak for the face frame which is going together now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Instrument Panel & Frame

Hmmmm....sorry about those rotated images. I tried getting rid of them and they don't show up in the editor.

We're used to rotated images nowadays...

Looking great & it's a much better location.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Good to see your ideas. It happens that I am also in the process of deciding on details of an electrical system for my boat. Nothing as complex as yours, but still helpful to see what others are doing. Where will you mount the speakers for your ghetto blaster?

I'm not the one you asked, but my speakers are under the deck - over the settees in the main salon.

Works pretty well.

Sounds a sensible out of the way location. Are they free standing or through a bulkhead or... ?

Speakers??? Ghetto blaster???? Actually there are some hung on the forward bulkhead and a couple in the cockpit. I'm looking forward to not using them Off tomorrow to pick up some G-Flex for the face frame. Pics soon.

Wise man Hugh. No music can compete with the sounds of a natural environment.

I have a ceiling that's attached to the deck beams, so they are flush mounted in that - like speakers installed in a car door.

As far as use, they get used for tunes maybe 5-6 times a season when having a party or at least a bunch of people on board & we're at anchor. Otherwise, we use 'em when watching a movie on the confuser on a rainy night - as a laptop's speakers aren't all that great.

I have to confess not really liking ceilings and overhead liners due to the restricted access that can create to the areas they cover. However, thinking about your speaker mounting, that does seem an advantage and gets me thinking of all the other things which could be mounted in them, lights, switch panels, etc. Food for thought there.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I have to confess not really liking ceilings and overhead liners due to the restricted access that can create to the areas they cover. However, thinking about your speaker mounting, that does seem an advantage and gets me thinking of all the other things which could be mounted in them, lights, switch panels, etc. Food for thought there.
    I agree. However, in the salon it gives a place to run wires as well as the speakers & reading lights. It's 1/4" ply & each side comes off in 5 minutes.

You can just see a corner of it (& a speaker) - upper right (wish I'd closed the drawer all the way):

SalonTable.jpg

Nice photo. Your boat is beautifully appointed. Looks a veritable mansion by my standards.

Nice photo. Your boat is beautifully appointed. Looks a veritable mansion by my standards.
    Thanks - many, many years of work.

BTW - the carpet is over PT plywood. Hugely cheaper than what I'd really like - which is teak. Someday maybe. Also - the beauty of her interior is due to the wonderful work of her original builders/owners 70+ years ago. All I've done down below is lots of paint & varnish.

All that work over the years really shows! She's gorgeous.

Once I had some real dimensions to work with from the mock-up, I sketched up a couple of scaled views of my panel:
    IMG_4740.jpg

...and started cutting scraps of teak up. I'd decided on half-lap joints as being within my skill level and suitable for the task at hand, so I started marking those out,
    IMG_4741.jpg

...doing a stop cut on the table saw,
    IMG_4742.jpg

..and because I really need practice sawing to a line and I wanted to catch some sawdust for filler I hand cut a couple of the laps:
    IMG_4743rotated.jpg

Note the paper on the floor where I was catching sawdust. The Dixie cup I have full should suffice for filler. I screw up...but not quite that much

Once I had enough filler, I figured I could speed things up a bit by cutting the cheeks of the half laps with the bandsaw.
    Attachment 34999

Then I laid out the end frame for a rough fitup of the tricky bevel against the hull side.
    Attachment 35000

I've left a bunch of meat on that outboard piece so I can install the whole thing loosely and pattern it off the battens lining the hull.

The fact that you are not using mitered corners looks very proper and well done! I don't like miter joints on a boat as they are prone to open up!
    I broke my own rule on this one. Next time I will stick to a half lap or mortis and tenon joint.
    Jay

Thanks Jay. I looked at a lot of pictures of instrument panels and liked the look of the half lap. And I'm nowhere near the craftsman that you are so I have to work within my limitations. I'm a hobbyist trying to learn as I go. Once a month I have an open shop night where friends come over and we work through stuff together. I was working on this, another friend was working on a knife he wanted to re-grip, yet another was working on some connector hubs for his French Bell tent. We share our thoughts and experiences and have a beer after...good fun

I got another hour or so to play with the panel frame, so after some layout I had the easy bits of the end frame roughed together and started playing with the fiddly bit that'll go against the hull:
    IMG_4745 - Copy.jpg

Some more time with the handsaw and bandsaw and now I'm ready for final joint trueing and fitup with chisel and a float. I should have taken another .06 with the bandsaw and may go back to do some trimming for thickness:
    IMG_4746.jpg

But I just moved some big rugs around so I think I need a beer more

Looking nice Hugh. Will you need to spile for the final fit or is it that all the surfaces to which it joins are flat?

Jay's pic was stunning! So shiny. Appealed to my inner magpie.

Looking nice Hugh. Will you need to spile for the final fit or is it that all the surfaces to which it joins are flat?

Jay's pic was stunning! So shiny. Appealed to my inner magpie.
    Thanks! I quite agree on Jay's work. Anything I do will be many shades less elegant. There's a slight curve to the hull so I'll spile it in with a narrow batten to mark the edge. The side of the hull is lined with battens so there will be gaps at the battens regardless, but I'm calling that "cooling vents" and letting it go at that.
    IMG_4655.jpg

Ha ha, cooling vents... very creative. You should be in marketing.

Hugh, You are doing great work and I wish I had chosen to make the half lap joints as you have! When mine lets go I will go back and do what you have done!

Remember, that we all do the best we can and as my Swedish grand father always said, "The best is none too good!" To, also, add a quote from Lin and Larry Pardy, "As long as it is fun!"
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-08-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks Jay. I'm hoping to get down to the boat tomorrow for a pre-glue fitup. I figured this would be a nice scale project to try out some G-Flex (Goo-Flex?) on. It's overkill, but I'm a bit of a belt-and-suspenders kinda guy and inclined to throw in a few screws, nails and staples to boot.

I often use G/flex for woods like teak and white oak that are notoriously difficult to glue. For areas that are prone to flexing it is great!
    Jay

OK...first fitup of the frame in situ. I'll still need to do some trimming, but I feel like I can cut the rabbits for the panels and do the rest of the glue-up now. The frame will fasten to the shelf and the bulkhead, but be free floating on top to allow flex in the deck. I measured to the surface of the headliner (I'll leave the soft stuff in the "headknocker" zone) and allowed a bit for compression into the headliner, but as it turns out there are some backing blocks I forgot to check for so I'll need to trim down a bit more.
    IMG_4755.jpg

Looking good. I can see right away your panel and frame is going to out fancy mine (which hasn't been started yet).

Wow! That kind of fitting takes a lot of "Kentucky Windage" to design! Here is my take at, hopefully keeping those miters from opening with changes in humidity.
    Jay

Nice splines, Jay. I'll be doing that on some display frames I have to make up for some friends. They have calligraphied scrolls they present to various folks each year and want some decorative frames they can be displayed in that can then be moved from recipient to recipient.
    The next fitup on the panel frame looks like this:
    IMG_4757.jpg

There are some fasteners under the headliner near that outboard edge I'll need to make a bit more clearance for and I need to notch the face a little deeper for the bulkhead trim:
    IMG_4756.jpg

Now I have to decide what to use for the panels themselves. I have some 6mm Oukume, but I'm debating about something prettier, although most of it will be covered by switch panels so it may not be worth it.

If the panels will be set in a frame, an inset of 1/4" tongue and groove painted white can look nice.
    Jay

Nor sure what you mean, Jay. Got a picture of one? I'm always open to suggestions

Here's the frames with the rabbets routed in for the panels and with the bottom rail on the main panel faceplate epoxied in place. BOY! The G-Flex is really thick stuff! 'Course I'm working in 50 degree temps so it's gonna be a bit viscous. I'm wondering if I should have heated it a bit to help it flow into the surfaces, but it's a bit late for that now. I did rough them up and wipe them down with alcohol per the West System directions. Next step is to run them through the thickness sander to flatten them out just a bit more, give them one more fitup on the boat and then rabbet them together and round the corner.
    IMG_4758.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

I'll be putting a block in each corner with a captive nut to hold the screws for the panels. The long one hinges down and the small one is just removable for better access. I may put a USB port in there to run the tablet I have my Navionics loaded onto, but I won't need that yet...lots more to do before I leave home waters.

Given the application I don't think the g-flex is going to care what the temperature was when used... it isn't going to fall apart, and based on your pictures the glue up is very pretty. What more could you want?

There are two kinds of g/flex, one that is thick and one that is not so thick.
    Here is a shot of one of the doors on a book case I built for my office. The T&G was made up using a Stanly 45 combination plane. The wood is Alaska yellow cedar. Door frames and book case are Honduras. Please excuse the focal distortion. Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-12-2019 at 12:10 PM.

WOW! I like that T&G door! If this weren't to be holding a switch panel I'd think about that, but it'll be holding my shore power and 12V distribution panels. 'Course, if I put T&G in one place, I'd have to replace all the caning that's in the rest of the doors and I kinda like having the ventilation.

The present creation identifies with an instrument board outline situated between a bulkhead for partitioning a motor compartment and a vehicle inside, and especially about the instrument board introduced in a widthwise course of a vehicle.