Thread: NPR names.

Default Re: NPR names.

Doualy Xaykaothao, Hmong
    Kat Chow, cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Baba View Post
    Doualy Xaykaothao, Hmong
    Kat Chow, cool
    If you hadn’t included “Doualy,” I’d have had no idea what that next word was. I always figured it to be three names.

Kinda like Soraya’s a Hottie Nelson.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    It's been pointed out before that NPR seems to attract personnel with uncommon names. Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson, Ofeibea Quist-Arcton, Lakshmi Sing, Kai Ryssdal, to name a few.

Locally, we have two young women on our station to add to the list: Sprince Arbogast and Bellamy Pailthorp.

Last edited by Garret; 04-05-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*xXcfbpN_u-qLaWtLFykgUw.jpeg[/IMG]

They have faces for radio. Old joke.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

On CBC radio we hear news presenters Dzintars Cers and Amanda Putz.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    No man is an island entire of itself; every man
    is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
    if a clod be washed away by the sea. . .

you know the rest

There is a certain orange clod who could be washed away by the sea, and thus improve the Earth.
    Rattling the teacups.

I am lucky in that I work on a daily basis with people from Brasil, Germany, India, Iraq. Heck, we even have people from such exotic places as Ohio and Pennsylvania. And I am not being facetious. Not everyone gets to work with people from so many places, and it has helped me learn more and gain a greater respect for people of different cultures.

I have a dear friend who is from Brasil. She is the same age as my youngest daughter but we worked together on a project and became very close. I call her my Brasilian daughter. She lives in Germany now with her German boyfriend and still works for my company. We e-mail all the time, and I feel blessed to have made such a friend. My mentor in my job is a German guy I consider one of my best friends.

I am all for multi-culturalism.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Time was in the business and entertainment worlds, a lot of "ethnic types" assumed what were called "street names" or "stage names" to avoid prejudice and appear "generically American." There were sometimes other reasons for taking on professional names. You probably would have a hard time getting a job as a news anchor if they had to say, "Stay tuned and watch Mike Hunt live at nine!"

I love the plethora of accents, all with good "radio voice" so that even a tin ear like mine has no comprehension problems.

One of my favorites, name and accent and beat, is Sylvia Poggioli. Some years ago, probably during a Balkan war, "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" offered as a prize "the voice of Sylvia Poggioli on your answering machine, complete with small arms fire in the background."

Ah, Sylvia Poggioli...one of the sexiest voices ever. I could listen to her read the phone book
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I listen to NPR every single day, but I have to admit that my mind always drifts back to those old SNL skits with Alec Baldwin. They nailed NPR with those.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Ah, Sylvia Poggioli...one of the sexiest voices ever. I could listen to her read the phone book
    Ditto!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Not an ethnic name but I always though the WNYC NPR guy Lance Lucky had a super cool name
    Lake Speed, auto racer.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Many years ago, living in Michigan, Don Gonyea was our morning NPR guy. He has since moved on to cover the DC beat.

Agreed about Sylvia Pogolli and Wade Goodman. I heard or read somewhere that Sylvia smokes a pipe...

The woman who recently assumed morning host duties locally (who's perfectly ordinary name escapes me) has a killer, deep, sexy voice, as well as a wide and deep well of obscure rock riffs she inserts between segments. I've been getting a bit of a kick out of playing the 'what-the-heck-song-is-that' game while sipping my morning coffee. Helps take some of the edge off hearing about the systematic dismantling of all I hold dear.

- John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    It's been pointed out before that NPR seems to attract personnel with uncommon names. Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson, Ofeibea Quist-Arcton, Lakshmi Sing, Kai Ryssdal, to name a few.

Locally, we have two young women on our station to add to the list: Sprince Arbogast and Bellamy Pailthorp.
    The name Kai Ryssdal is just about as white Northwest European as anything possbly can be. Just not anglosaxon. The family name is distictly Norweigan or Swedish and Kai or Kaj is found sparsely all over the Nordic countries.

The name Pailthorp sounds a bit north east English to me. To me it sounds like sort of place names left behind by Viking settlers..... of which some became family names over time. "Thorp" meant "new homestead" in old Norse.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland