Thread: Tumlaren - A cool looking classic design

Default Tumlaren - A cool looking classic design

I ran across this the other day and thought I'd share it on here. This is a really cool looking boat. This actual advertisement is from 2014 so it probably isn't there anymore but if this was a feasible rebuild, I'd be tempted if I lived close to it.

If anyone owns one of these, I'd like to know what their thoughts are on them. Especially how they compare to a Nordic Folkboat.

I wish there was a place that collected drawings of old designs like this so that others could browse through the designs. Even if a person doesn't build an exact reproduction of these old designs, they can be inspirational and combined with new technology, and the design can live on through history. The Nordic Folkboat, a design I want to build, was difficult to get a set of drawings for and even when I received the drawings, they were a hodge podge of drawings. At least there were drawings available though through the Nordic Folkboat International Association and DigitaltMuseum. I know there are some sources like this but a really, really extensive collection online somewhere where a person could download designs without having to go through a lot of red tape to get access to them. Also, it would be nice if people could upload drawings they've worked on, either ones where they took old drawings and had redrawn with more detail, or even designs they just created from the sheer pleasure of having sat down one day and put their ideas on paper, works of art.

http://www.moesmarineservice.com/?p=109

Tumlaren.jpg

Default Re: Tumlaren - A cool looking classic design

A friend of mine owned one. They are tiny inside compared to a Nordic Folkboat, which are not that big themselves. Sailing qualities are excellent though. Adlard Coles raced one across the Atlantic and back, but had to add a small bow extension to bring it up to class size.

http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Hunt WoodenBoat's early back issues for an article titled "The Timeless Tumlaren".

Adlard Coles - "Heavy Weather Sailing" has a fine account of sailing on one.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Indeed it is a good looking boat. There are several threads about 'em on the forum: search for "tumlaren"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I saw that beautiful boat in Watmough Bay back in 2012. It is both beautiful and fast; however, I'm not certain she provided more space below deck than my 14 foot catboat.

IMG_2096.jpg

Some friends of mine did their honeymoon on a Tumlaren. They were going to go up the coast for a few months when the girl's dad said, "You aren't going anywhere overnight until you're married !" so they did

There was also the "Stortumlaren" (big tumlaren) for those that need a bit more elbow room....and speed.

Knud Reimers Tumlaren plans from the Swedish Maritime Museum at link below. Ritning means plans. Try search in the site for Knud Reimers, Sven Thorell, Iversen, Pettersson, Enderlein, Jolle, Eka, kanotkryssare. Include the word ritning unless you want photos also.

Feast your eyes.

Tim

https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024736532/ritning
    Last edited by Tim Mooney; 04-07-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    Some friends of mine did their honeymoon on a Tumlaren. They were going to go up the coast for a few months when the girl's dad said, "You aren't going anywhere overnight until you're married !" so they did
    Amazing. I thought I was the only person ever to honeymoon on a Tum. I had one about 30 years ago. Beautiful boat. And beautiful to sail. Very similar to a Dragon or Etchells in terms of accommodation. Perfect balance. Just a delight to sail. I got caught out in a serious storm in mine off the south coast of Australia. Nothing between us and Antarctica except wind, waves and whales. I kid you not we had 12 metre seas and 60 knot winds. We ran bare poles for about 24 hours and sailed into Port Lincoln when the wind moderated to 40 knots or so. That little boat kept us alive.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

This one has just come up for sale. Not seen one with a split house before....

Details... https://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Vack...6_84064418.htm

I know it’s in the eye of the beholder and all that but she is absolutely beautiful.

Robert
    He turns his head but in his ear the steady trade winds run
    And in his eye the endless waves ride on into the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post

$7,000US? Seems low - though there are no interior photos. There are some nice boats on that site (nice Alfa too )
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    $7,000US? Seems low
    Not much of a market here for old wooden boats, far too many do not have the skills or time to look after them. Usually a good range of Folkboats from $1,000 upwards. There was at least 3 dumped/ amandoned before last winter in the Stockholm area, owners could not sell them and did not want to pay for winter storage. There is an absolute glut of boats here, and all the while manufacturers are trying desperately to sell new stuff by giving long interest free repayment loans. The boats themselves have become the means to sell a debt.........

Oof. I'd love somesuch like that.

Peace,
    Robert

Ahhh...split house, makes sense now. Have you not work to do?

Ahhh...split house, makes sense now. Have you not work to do?
    Would you believe... making a foil?! Actually, a few are being juggled. Maybe some spar blanks glued up, too...

Peace,
    And Scribbling