Thread: Repairing Glass Ply Decks

Default Repairing Glass Ply Decks

WS was built with glass on ply decks. In some spots the glass has broken and come loose. I've found that a sharp scraper will cut it back to where it adheres. I have a few questions about repair. This boat was built in '68, the glass may be polyester resin. Will epoxy stick to it? I intend to sand the wood, apply epoxy to the wood and cloth to overlap the good glass slightly. When that cures I hope to use a scraper to cut the excess, possibly a surform to clean it up and more epoxy to level and seal. I'm interested in hearing your method if you have done this job.

My weapon of choice is a 100mm angle grinder with 16 grit sanding disc. You'll feather off the edges of the old glass and leave a well textured surface for your patch.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Repairing Glass Ply Decks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    My weapon of choice is a 100mm angle grinder with 16 grit sanding disc. You'll feather off the edges of the old glass and leave a well textured surface for your patch.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    ^This.
    Lloyds Rules specify epoxy for serious polyester glass repairs, so yes it will.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Ya, tooth the daylight out of the poly. Do not let it get hot from a dull or too fine of a disc, the heat may continue to bugger up the buggered up part further out.
    If repairing patches, I use hunks of chop strand ( pull apart).
    And of course one does not have to do the repair all at once.
    And of course of course we know to wash off any blush

Thanks guys. The first patch went on well. I do find that waiting a couple of days after scraping (for weather) sometimes leads to more separation.

If its failing in one area, it may be about to fail over a much wider area and you may consider redoing the whole deck. Not sure how big an area you are talking about though.

I thought about that. The most likely scenario would be to strip the area where most of the damage is located: starboard deck outboard of the cabin. That would require more time, more materials, and possibly setbacks. Hardware would need to be removed and replaced. It may still happen though. To do the whole deck (she's 39'x12') would require weeks at least. The damage now is perhaps 5%, if it were 30%, I'd think harder about doing it all. I am curious about why this section failed. Obviously there are two possibilities: original construction flaw or damage since. If it's original then I have to accept it, if damage since, I can be alert to it. In either case, the new epoxy/glass ought to be more durable.

My experience with old polyester fiberglass on plywood is that it’s not really bonded so once it lets go it’s easy to remove the rest. Which is why it’s hard to stop once you start picking at it.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

My practice with this is the same as scraping paint: if it comes off with moderate effort and a scraper, it should be removed. If strain, power tools or heat are required it's sticking well and can stay.