Thread: Working Low

Default Working Low

Last year I repainted the inside of the bulwarks on WS. It hurt. I try not to kneel or crouch, as I have bad knees. When I must kneel, I use a pad or pads. Even so, sitting and bending or working on all fours results in back pain. I suppose I could lie prone, though I'm not sure it would be an improvement. How do you work low when you must?

Default Re: Working Low

Bad knees here too. . .

i have two solutions for working around the house, first a low mechanics stool on castors, and when I need to get even lower I stack two or three of those expandable rubber anti fatigue mats on top of each other. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

A tip I picked up here from Bob Smalser is the use of military knee pad inserts. They fit very well in the Wrangler Riggs Workwear and Carhartt canvas pants, which have a double knee section with the little gap in the seam near the bottom hem that allows the rolled foam pad to be inserted. AMAZING! Not the same as the much thicker knee pads that attach on the outside of the pants, but no binding or sliding down either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuhDWlNKa0U
    Last edited by Thorne; 04-03-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Tumeric . I’m 65 and move like a kid. A spoonful in water. It’s amazing.

Thanks guys. Keep it coming.
    Wiz, I use tumeric. I also avoid nightshades, spinach and anything which causes an allergic reaction.

Perhaps you need to find an enterprising young person to absorb the abuse for you.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I'm not sure we want to hear about what you do in bed.

I did the bottom on a friend's boat and used a mechanic's creeper with a shortie reclining beach chair screwed to the deck. Gave me an adjustable back support, mobility and lots of laughs from other guys in the yard...but a month later I saw several more of 'em Looked stupid as Hell, but I could walk afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    I'm not sure we want to hear about what you do in bed.
    You confusing “sea moss” with tumeric?

I've got artificial knees and kneeling on those things really hurts. I'm tiling one of my bathroom floors right now and it's a royal pain to either bend over and do the work or try and sit on the floor and do it.
    I've often used a very low step stool to do low work or a creeper.

Now another note, did you ever refasten Wandering Star? You mentioned it a while ago.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

built a 16" high 4'x16' table that i do new builds on and elevate other projects for working the lower portions

use the above mentioned rollaround conveyances for simply skootin around as i work

an issue that thwarts me as much as getting down on my knees is my glasses

bifocals are certified stinkers when trying to work down low or looking up under something like sink fittings in the kitchen/bathroom

i've gone to carrying a shipping blanket and backpacker's foam pads in the vehicle when traveling for changing flats

gardening stools w/ wheels, mechanics rollaround stools, adjustable office chairs w/ wheels...

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I use the protectors for knees that rollerskaters have. Frank

Not a popular answer but going to gym and getting regular exercise will do more good than you can ever imagine. Started a few years back and while I am still sore after some jobs I can MUH more than I used to be able to do and the next day I feel much better than before I went.
    Jeff
    Kudzu Craft Skin boats
    SoF boat kits, supplies and plans

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
    Not a popular answer but going to gym and getting regular exercise will do more good than you can ever imagine. Started a few years back and while I am still sore after some jobs I can MUH more than I used to be able to do and the next day I feel much better than before I went.
    Can't argue with fitness, but arthritis is what it is and my knees don't bend much more than 90 degrees without significant pain these days. I use a wrap for hiking and even on the boat, but for spending time under something I'd rather use my "recliner" than kneel. We're in the gym 2-3 times a week and that's helping keep mobility, but it can't arrest time

You confusing “sea moss” with tumeric?
    It was something about I feel like a kid, It's amazing and working low mixed together.

Christ, when I first went aboard my present boat, there was no sole. I moved 150 board feet of t n g oak into a bare wineglass hull, and set about fitting it all. I had no bench, nothing, so I stood on a plank going transverse and sawed them up and shaped them at feet level. Talk about a low bench. Won't do that again.

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

And I'm 75 coming up 76 and a teaspoon of Turmeric a day keeps the old joints in great shape!

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Quote Originally Posted by debenriver View Post
    And I'm 75 coming up 76 and a teaspoon of Turmeric a day keeps the old joints in great shape!

Cheers -- George
    i just helped deliver a funky 20 ton gaffer from Bermuda to Sint Maarten (9 days) with a pair of 20 something brothers. They called my morning spoonful of tumeric” orange juice”.
    I kept up with them jus fine.

First, put your bifocals on upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I've got artificial knees and kneeling on those things really hurts. I'm tiling one of my bathroom floors right now and it's a royal pain to either bend over and do the work or try and sit on the floor and do it.
    I've often used a very low step stool to do low work or a creeper.

Now another note, did you ever refasten Wandering Star? You mentioned it a while ago.
    I refastened the port side last April. I'll pull the boat this fall and refasten the other side.

Hey, John.. no advice but a question: What do nightshades and spinach have to do with it?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

i just helped deliver a funky 20 ton gaffer from Bermuda to Sint Maarten (9 days) with a pair of 20 something brothers. They called my morning spoonful of tumeric” orange juice”.
    I kept up with them jus fine.
    Bruce, very interested in your "orange juice." Could you give me more details on what form of tumeric you use? Where to get it? Thanks, and my bad knees will thank you too....

Squatting, on the haunches, flat footed. This requires flexibility.

Also, sitting cross legged, or in a hurdler's stretch position.

I try to never kneel, as it's just bad all around.

Mind, I have SEVERE back issues, including partial, recurring paralysis. If I don't stretch and move through the occasional pain, it amplifies.

Peace,
    Robert

Tumeric? I was surprised to find that searching -- turmeric arthritis pubmed -- came up with generally positive results in objective research studies. Worth a shot.

Hyaluronic acid injections work well for me, but I could buy a lot of tumeric for the cost of one injection. Roughly 3/4 ton per shot and no appointment necessary.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

This from Wikipedia:

Turmeric and curcumin, one of its constituents, have been studied in numerous clinical trials for various human diseases and conditions, but the conclusions have either been uncertain or negative.[8][38][39]
    Claims that curcumin in turmeric may help to reduce inflammation remain unproven as of 2017.[8][9]

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    This from Wikipedia:

Turmeric and curcumin, one of its constituents, have been studied in numerous clinical trials for various human diseases and conditions, but the conclusions have either been uncertain or negative.[8][38][39]
    Claims that curcumin in turmeric may help to reduce inflammation remain unproven as of 2017.[8][9]
    Ah, yes Wikipedia. I can fix that.

Unproven, but far from disproven. The trend looks positive, but it takes a lot of expensive data, and there isn't a lot of profit when the customer can buy the raw material for $10 per pound. Establishing efficacy is slow and expensive. The stuff is cheap and pretty harmless.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...thritis+pubmed
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27533649 yes, but more work needed (please fund me)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5871206/ maybe yes but more work needed (please fund me)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2533857/ maybe yes but more work needed (please fund me)
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Hey, John.. no advice but a question: What do nightshades and spinach have to do with it?

Kevin
    If you search "nightshades and arthritis" you'll get a lot of hits. I'm so allergic to white potatoes that I have to leave the house if my wife peels them or my eyes swell. Likewise eating them will aggravate my arthritis. Peppers, eggplant and tomato I can eat occasionally. Arthritis is reactive to irritants, including allergies. Spinach is connected with joint pain because of chemicals naturally occurring, uric acid maybe? What I know for sure is that if I eat these things, I get pain. If I avoid them I get relief.

Eat more Indian food; you'll get plenty of tumeric (and cumin). Fish curry is on tonight's menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Ah, yes Wikipedia. I can fix that.

Unproven, but far from disproven. The trend looks positive, but it takes a lot of expensive data, and there isn't a lot of profit when the customer can buy the raw material for $10 per pound. Establishing efficacy is slow and expensive. The stuff is cheap and pretty harmless.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...thritis+pubmed
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27533649 yes, but more work needed (please fund me)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5871206/ maybe yes but more work needed (please fund me)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2533857/ maybe yes but more work needed (please fund me)

I've been rebuilding my deck for as long as I can remember. Since Christmas I think. I wear tradies pants, with knee pouches, and a piece of fairly high density foam rubber in each pouch. That stuff that comes in interlocking floor mats. I still hurt at the end of every day but it helps. I find strap on knee pads awful to use.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Corella View Post
    Eat more Indian food; you'll get plenty of tumeric (and cumin). Fish curry is on tonight's menu.
    Good advice. Even if it is nothing but a placebo, at least you can enjoy taking your 'medicine'.

First day of deck work was yesterday. I used a kneeling pad, stood and stretched between every round of scraping, and varied my tasks to change position. So far so good. This method will be more challenging when painting, where pausing loses a wet edge and may gum up a brush or roller, but those are easier fixes than a backache.