Thread: Joel White Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff Build

Default Joel White Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff Build

I have gotten so much out of this boat building forum and felt I must pay forward what I have received by attempting to post the building of my Jericho Bay Skiff. Having attended The WoodenBoat School last year and returning to my home in St Petersburg Florida with at least 6 sets of boat building plans under my arms, I finally decided to build this skiff. I have owned a Grady White and currently own a Parker Center Console which is under agreement to be sold. Four years old and only 22 hours on the engine. I guess I enjoy collecting more than I do using! My past boats included a Columbia sailboat, a Sabreline flybridge sedan, a Sea Sprite Weekender, and the Parker, and a Pacific Seacraft Cutter. Oh, and a 15-foot Adirondack rowing canoe. I have a full shop of machinery and hand tools. So many in fact that I will build the boat out in our screened porch overlooking one of the great ICW canals a five minute cruise to the Gulf of Mexico inlet.

I will let this first post introduce the boat and my shop. The link below shows one of the most beautiful builds of this boat . . .

https://www.shearlineboatworks.com/h...lobster-skiff/

image1.jpgimage2.jpegimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage6.jpg
    Last edited by Lightheart; 03-29-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Default Re: Joel White Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff Build

I built a 16-foot twin vice workbench out in the screened porch. It would also make a great buffet table!!

The roll of hardwood flooring underlayment paper (attached to the lower right of the work bench) is to roll out over the bench top to protect it from nasty stuff.

I began building the strong back today using LVL (laminated Veneer Lumber) for the beams and I will use MDO ply for the molds. So far I have only cut the strong back to size as shown below:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lightheart; 03-29-2019 at 06:41 PM.

You certainly have the tools/shop for the job! I'll be following. Have fun!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

We have enjoyed our Jericho a great deal and building it was a great experience. Good luck and have fun.
    Great shop and you even have the prerequisite shop dog!

But - are you absolutely SURE you have enough clamps ? - Great shop, and cute dog !!

(was going to suggest floor mats - realized I missed seeing them in earlier post)
    Last edited by hawkeye54; 03-31-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added text

Thanks guys. Hawkeye: Funny you should say that about the clamps. Lying by my feet are two boxes of c-clamps I just received!

I have a chance to buy the West System epoxy mix device found at the link below for less than half price of a new one and it is new still in the box. Is it worthing adding to my tool list? Or are the inexpensive pumps good enough?

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...AaArMUEALw_wcB

Thanks.

Been fishing/ cruising mine for 6 years now, a great little boat. Don't be afraid to stretch it a little, I went out to 16'2" to help handle the Long Island Sound chop, no mold shape changes required just stretch them out from the center mold position, enjoy the build.

Has anyone used the Raptor plastic finish nails in edge nailing their strip planks? The nailer gun is a bit pricey, but was wondering if the plastic nails would mostly eliminate clamping each row of cedar strip planks.

I can't speak for others, but we not only clamped rows, but found that it was necessary to screw strips to the molds to ensure the shape remained true to plan. I don't think we could have relied on the raptor nails only. Our strips were not bead and cove, so depending on your sourcing direction you may find alternatives that work for you.

Those raptor nails look like a great solution, I just question their holding power in relation to the loads I saw.

These were just drywall screws with washers to avoid damage to the strips. Lots of small holes to fill, but in the grand scheme of things small potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    I can't speak for others, but we not only clamped rows, but found that it was necessary to screw strips to the molds to ensure the shape remained true to plan. I don't think we could have relied on the raptor nails only. Our strips were not bead and cove, so depending on your sourcing direction you may find alternatives that work for you.

Those raptor nails look like a great solution, I just question their holding power in relation to the loads I saw.

These were just drywall screws with washers to avoid damage to the strips. Lots of small holes to fill, but in the grand scheme of things small potatoes.
    First of all, thank you again for your generosity in answering my questions, including the one about what height to set the transom.

After you removed your screws and washers, did you simply fill the holes with thickened epoxy or did you stick some dowel plugs in the holes?

When I get some time I want to update this thread with a bunch of photos of my progress to date.

Since we were painting inside and out, the holes were just filled with thickened epoxy.
    The holes were all quite small and even if you were going to try to finish bright you could likely do it without much issue.
    Love to see your progress and happy to try and answer anything that comes up.

Thanks. I too will be painting inside and out.

re Question about Raptor nails for edge nailing the strips.....This is what I did on my 23 foot sloop. Epoxy both surfaces, secure strip in position, drill tight hole for Raptor nail, drive nail using a modified palm nailer. Works beautifully; you don't need the Raptor nailer. I used the nails that are about 1/8 diameter and about 2 inches long. Highly recommended. Modifying the palm nailer involves putting a washer spacer in the driving works to lessen the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by CundysHarbor View Post
    re Question about Raptor nails for edge nailing the strips.....This is what I did on my 23 foot sloop. Epoxy both surfaces, secure strip in position, drill tight hole for Raptor nail, drive nail using a modified palm nailer. Works beautifully; you don't need the Raptor nailer. I used the nails that are about 1/8 diameter and about 2 inches long. Highly recommended. Modifying the palm nailer involves putting a washer spacer in the driving works to lessen the impact.
    Thanks for the idea! That would sure beat spending the $300+ for the Raptor finish nail driver. But then, I am addicted to adding to my gadget pile!

I am getting closer to begin attaching the 1/2" x 1" cedar strips to the molds. Anyone know if the edges of the molds must be planed or filed at an angle to allow the strips to lay flat as they pass by the edges of each mold? Otherwise, the strips would touch only a single pin-point on each edge of the molds. - Thanks in advance for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightheart View Post
    I am getting closer to begin attaching the 1/2" x 1" cedar strips to the molds. Anyone know if the edges of the molds must be planed or filed at an angle to allow the strips to lay flat as they pass by the edges of each mold? Otherwise, the strips would touch only a single pin-point on each edge of the molds. - Thanks in advance for your input.
    I beveled my forward stations to the angle of a sprung batten, but honestly I don't think it was critical. Just don't for get to cover all the stations with packing tape before you begin...

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Anyone know if the edges of the molds must be planed or filed at an angle to allow the strips to lay flat as they pass by the edges of each mold?
    I wouldn't bother. There is no advantage.

Have you cut the molds to the plans shape?
    If you bevel them you may be making them smaller depending which side of the line on the strong back you place them.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I wouldn't bother. There is no advantage.

Have you cut the molds to the plans shape?
    If you bevel them you may be making them smaller depending which side of the line on the strong back you place them.
    I was very careful to install each mold according to plan with respect to the edge of each mold. So I think if I did bevel the edge of each mold it would still honor the shape of the sheer and subsequent waterlines. My concern was that if I attached a strip tightly to each unbeveled mold edge it might distort the fairness of the strip.

I was very careful to install each mold according to plan with respect to the edge of each mold. So I think if I did bevel the edge of each mold it would still honor the shape of the sheer and subsequent waterlines. My concern was that if I attached a strip tightly to each unbeveled mold edge it might distort the fairness of the strip.
    I see your point. I think you will find that since the strip passes over several molds, the "fairness" shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't try to pull them in too hard. Allow the shape to develop naturally and use the adjacent strips to ensure a consistent line. Should be good to go.