Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24333435 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,190 of 1286

Thread: Skookum Maru

  1. #1156
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    319

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    For hybrid use, you might look for a smaller gas tank to save a little weight.

  2. #1157
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle, W.A., U.S.A
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    I imagine you might be able to easily overcome the weight penalty of the two stroke by coming up with a storage system that enabled you to use the dinghy davit to remove the gas engine. Theoretically you would only need to remove it when you were already in a calm harbor with flat water. Similarly I'd imagine you would tow the whirlwind with the Main onboard and so you wouldn't need to be too concerned with messing up Skookum Maru's lines. Personally I'd probably opt for a cabin top deck box with a single raised end, id make it large enough to be able to house any potential gas tanks/batteries. Alternately and at vastly less expense I'd throw the gas tanks/ battery In the existing tender and just find a moderately out of the way place to mount the outboard when not in use. My own suggestions aside I definitely think the option of running the electric motor as a kicker makes a ton of sense; and am very interested in seeing what you come up with.

  3. #1158
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    For hybrid use, you might look for a smaller gas tank to save a little weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelirrojo View Post
    I imagine you might be able to easily overcome the weight penalty of the two stroke by coming up with a storage system that enabled you to use the dinghy davit to remove the gas engine. Theoretically you would only need to remove it when you were already in a calm harbor with flat water. Similarly I'd imagine you would tow the whirlwind with the Main onboard and so you wouldn't need to be too concerned with messing up Skookum Maru's lines. Personally I'd probably opt for a cabin top deck box with a single raised end, id make it large enough to be able to house any potential gas tanks/batteries. Alternately and at vastly less expense I'd throw the gas tanks/ battery In the existing tender and just find a moderately out of the way place to mount the outboard when not in use. My own suggestions aside I definitely think the option of running the electric motor as a kicker makes a ton of sense; and am very interested in seeing what you come up with.
    There are definitely a bunch of options here. Right now my plan is to get the EP Carry working then upgrade the battery to 36V and try it on the Whirlwind. Assuming that it works well then I will need to sort out the remote steering and controls. Fortunately both Rick (rgthom) and Joe G., the inventor of the EP Carry, have already done that so I have some examples to follow.

    But first, I am still trying to sort out the problem with the EP Carry. I checked the batteries (2 x 12V for 24V total) and they both measured out at 13.3V. So I figured that the batteries must be charged and started to look elsewhere. But after more research I find that voltage is not a good indicator of charge for lithium batteries, and that at full charge they should really be at around 14V. So now I am not sure where the problem lies. The motor really behaves like the battery is dead. We used it for a while and it ran fine, then it ran for a few minutes and died, and then it ran for a few seconds and died, repeatedly, and now it doesn't run at all. Which sure sounds like the battery running out of juice. But when I put it on the charger I don't get any indication that it's charging, and the battery does not appear to accept a charge.

    Before we ran the motor for the first time I charged the batteries from the solar panel rather than the 110 charger and that seemed to work, although there is no way to confirm. So now I suspect that the 110V charger is faulty. I've ordered a Noco charger which should be a bit better than the little K2 charger supplied with the motor, and will also have the ability to charge a 36V bank. We will see how that does...
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  4. #1159
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    I thought that the battery supplied with the EPC was a single 26 V LiPO. I have its big brother, bought direct from K2 Energy, and that is 26 V with just two terminals. What are these dual 12 V batteries of which you speak? Could you post a picture of your setup and cables?

    Just to be clear, I have not tried running my own EPC over 250 W or off 36 V yet. I want someone else to test that first and let me know how it works. Hoping that tester is you .

  5. #1160
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    I thought that the battery supplied with the EPC was a single 26 V LiPO. I have its big brother, bought direct from K2 Energy, and that is 26 V with just two terminals. What are these dual 12 V batteries of which you speak? Could you post a picture of your setup and cables?

    Just to be clear, I have not tried running my own EPC over 250 W or off 36 V yet. I want someone else to test that first and let me know how it works. Hoping that tester is you .
    Ha! Fair enough. I actually did figure that out after re-reading your build thread. I'm planning to talk to Joe about the 36V option before I do anything in any case, but in the interest of experimentation I do plan on trying it since it won't cost much. Unless I let the smoke out of the motor controller of course...

    Here is the two-battery setup I have:



    Joe supplied these last year when they were unable to source the single 10Ah battery due to COVID disruptions. This configuration is a bit larger/heavier than the single battery but for my purposes it's a bit more convenient because it makes a 36V bank possible for very little additional cost. Another identical battery is available for around $150 with tax and shipping, here:

    https://www.lithiumbatterypower.com/...ithium-battery

    Adding the third battery would make a 36V, 12Ah bank that would fit into a Pelican case, much like your setup. And the Noco charger I just ordered has 3 x 12V, 10A circuits so it would be able to charge either the 24V or 36V configuration. I'm thinking of creating a power pack that would include the batteries, Noco charger, and a solar controller (Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/35) in a Pelican case, with a plug-in wiring harness for solar and 110V charging inputs, and a battery monitor (Victron BMV-700) mounted on the dash. But that's getting ahead of myself a bit. First I have to get the motor working again.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  6. #1161
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Thanks, I understand what you have now. So it looks like the batteries are series charged and series discharged. What I do not know, and need to learn, is what are the issues when there are now multiple BMS (one in each battery box). When one battery reaches full charge, does its BMS shut off the current so now the other battery is not fully charged? These batteries are supposed to balance their cells when they reach full charge voltage. If one becomes more discharged than the other for some reason, it would never fully charge again if charging is series. I would guess it is better to charge each separately from a 12 V charger (parallel charging).

    For your problem, can you measure voltage of each battery when the cutoff problem happens? If one battery suddenly cuts off it is probably the BMS deciding voltage is at low limit, or maybe some other fault. If both batteries maintain voltage then it is the motor controller.

  7. #1162
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Thanks, I understand what you have now. So it looks like the batteries are series charged and series discharged. What I do not know, and need to learn, is what are the issues when there are now multiple BMS (one in each battery box). When one battery reaches full charge, does its BMS shut off the current so now the other battery is not fully charged? These batteries are supposed to balance their cells when they reach full charge voltage. If one becomes more discharged than the other for some reason, it would never fully charge again if charging is series. I would guess it is better to charge each separately from a 12 V charger (parallel charging).

    For your problem, can you measure voltage of each battery when the cutoff problem happens? If one battery suddenly cuts off it is probably the BMS deciding voltage is at low limit, or maybe some other fault. If both batteries maintain voltage then it is the motor controller.
    Hmm. Those are all interesting points to which I have no answers. I do know that it is not uncommon to connect LiPo batteries in series, including with batteries that have their own BMS. So I assume that the BMS would be smart enough to handle that situation, but I don't really know. However it does make me think that the Noco charger, with separate circuits for each battery, might be do a better job of charging the batteries.

    As for measuring the voltage when the problem is occurring, that's an interesting idea. I will have to try that if it continues to happen after I charge them with the Noco.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  8. #1163
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Well hm.



    I set up the Noco charger to charge each battery independently but it thinks they are fully charged already. I’m going to leave it charging overnight just to see if it makes any difference in the voltage though. But if that doesn’t solve the problem then either the connection between the battery and the motor is faulty, the magnetic kill switch or throttle potentiometer is faulty, or there is some internal problem with the motor or controller.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  9. #1164
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Westminster, Maryland
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Hello Chris,

    I'm writing to let you know that I'm following what you're doing and posting.

    I'm building a 'first boat' and 'first woodworking project'... a little 17 foot runabout that's a combination of a GarWood Speedster and a Hacker Gentleman's Runabout.

    Although I've bought a 1957 Chris Craft Model 'K' 95 h.p. engine, I still wonder if I should have thought more seriously about electric power for it. So the results of your research are very interesting to me.

    Some days what you post makes me think 'damn', "I should be pursuing electric power", while other days make me think "it's just a pipe dream for me". I'm in my later 70s so time is an issue for me too.

    I read and think about what you're writing!!!!

    Regards,
    Alan

  10. #1165
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan71 View Post
    Hello Chris,

    I'm writing to let you know that I'm following what you're doing and posting.

    I'm building a 'first boat' and 'first woodworking project'... a little 17 foot runabout that's a combination of a GarWood Speedster and a Hacker Gentleman's Runabout.

    Although I've bought a 1957 Chris Craft Model 'K' 95 h.p. engine, I still wonder if I should have thought more seriously about electric power for it. So the results of your research are very interesting to me.

    Some days what you post makes me think 'damn', "I should be pursuing electric power", while other days make me think "it's just a pipe dream for me". I'm in my later 70s so time is an issue for me too.

    I read and think about what you're writing!!!!

    Regards,
    Alan
    Cheers Alan! I don't know if electric power has gotten to the point where it would reasonably power something like the boat you are building at the speeds it is intended to go. At least not for very long, as Rick pointed out a few posts ago. You might be able to do it but the cost would be prohibitive for anyone not currently considering the date of their next orbital rocket launch. However a little belt-drive auxiliary electric motor for slow speed running might be a neat addition.

    The slow speed electric auxiliary, either via a small electric outboard or a belt drive to the inboard shaft, is an interesting consideration. Here in Seattle most of the waterway inside the locks is restricted to no-wake until you get out into Lake Washington. So the overwhelming majority of the time spent underway for most boats here is at speeds less than 7kts, with a range requirement of less than 5nm. Those are ideal conditions for electric power. Seems like there might be a market for a bolt-on electric auxiliary motor kit, which doesn't really exist in the market as far as I have seen. Hm....

    In any case I still need to get my own electric project working. A bit of progress this morning, maybe. I just checked on the charging status and found that both batteries had switched to maintenance mode:



    and the voltage across both batteries is now at 28.31V where previously it was at 26.6V:



    If I understand lithium battery charging curves (doubtful, but I'm trying) that's a significant change. And in any case it does indicate that the little charger was not bringing the batteries up to their full charge. So I have hopes. Next step is to test the motor again.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  11. #1166
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    My battery spends most of its time around 26 V, it quickly rises to just over 28 at full charge, so that does look encouraging.

  12. #1167
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    I hope so Rick. We will see. Next step on the electric Whirlwind project is to pick up a tub or bucket large enough to run the EPC on a stand so I can test it without having to launch the dinghy every time. Task for this weekend. In the meantime, Tad Roberts (TR here) just shared these images on Facebook. Which I have posted before I think, possibly on the Petrel thread, but they are worth another look.







    That's Bill Garden's launch, Merlin, which started out as Francis and Amy Barrow's cruiser Toketie (in the last photo), and is featured their logs and memoirs as captured by Beth Hill in her book Upcoast Summers. Merlin is still around, sitting in a shed, waiting for someone with time and money to resurrect her. That would be a boat project worth devoting one's life to. I'll confess that I've considered it, if the current owner would sell her and if I thought I could do her justice. Likely she belongs in a museum somewhere but I can't help imagining her back on the water, making trips out to some small island in the B.C. Gulf, just as she did for Bill Garden over all the decades he had her.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  13. #1168
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    You need a big tub, that's a 13 inch prop.

    I have been following Tad's postings recently, one of the few really interesting things on FB. Doing research for a bigger solar electric retirement project boat, I had reached out to Tad by email asking what he thought of electric propulsion for his Power Pogy design. He is a busy guy, it took several weeks for his response, but a concept popped up on his FB posting for a light electric cruiser and he sent me a sketch based on Wylie Blanchet's Caprice. I may not be able to afford his full design service, but the idea keeps swirling around in my mind.

    My tub:
    Last edited by rgthom; 09-10-2021 at 06:50 PM. Reason: tub photo

  14. #1169
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    You need a big tub, that's a 13 inch prop.

    I have been following Tad's postings recently, one of the few really interesting things on FB. Doing research for a bigger solar electric retirement project boat, I had reached out to Tad by email asking what he thought of electric propulsion for his Power Pogy design. He is a busy guy, it took several weeks for his response, but a concept popped up on his FB posting for a light electric cruiser and he sent me a sketch based on Wylie Blanchet's Caprice. I may not be able to afford his full design service, but the idea keeps swirling around in my mind.

    My tub:
    Oh! Hey, I have a bin just like that in the basement right now. No need to buy anything as it turns out. Thanks for posting your setup Rick. I had been thinking about garden tubs for some reason and hadn't even considered using a storage tub. And funny, that's just about exactly the arrangement I had in mind. A board clamped in a bench vise and a tub to keep the lower end in water.

    I've seen your posts on FB to John Welsford about a larger solar powered boat. Seems to me that both John W. and Tad R. have designs that could be adapted to make very nice solar cruisers. I'll be very interested to see what comes out of those discussions. Oh, and have you also considered Sam Devlin? He has a number of designs that seem like good candidates, and of course he designed Solar Sal, the boat that just made it from Bellingham to Alaska under solar power only.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  15. #1170
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Taking this latest thread drift to its natural conclusion, what would really pique my interest would be a double-ended solar cruiser based on Merlin. Could be strip planked and powered by a small inboard electric motor, with a solar array laid out on the cabin top. Hmmm....
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  16. #1171
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    To continue your own thread drift.... I did contact Sam Devlin. He has another design already adapted to a solar electric option, Mugwump. It is an interesting boat, set up to work as a land camper on the trailer as well as on water, but much too big for me. His catalog has a design I like called the River Crawler 22, but it is concept only and needs a commission to complete the drawings. There are several others, but the displacement boats are generally too heavy and the lighter boats have planing hulls.

  17. #1172
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    To continue your own thread drift.... I did contact Sam Devlin. He has another design already adapted to a solar electric option, Mugwump. It is an interesting boat, set up to work as a land camper on the trailer as well as on water, but much too big for me. His catalog has a design I like called the River Crawler 22, but it is concept only and needs a commission to complete the drawings. There are several others, but the displacement boats are generally too heavy and the lighter boats have planing hulls.

    Ah, yes I can see that being the case. Various factors have led to cruising designs that emphasize speed over efficiency. We need a renaissance of light, trailerable, displacement or semi-displacement designs like the ones one could find in every issue of Rudder magazine in the 40s and 50s. But I expect there isn’t a market for something like that yet. Soon perhaps. Have you followed Gib Etheridge’s dory build? Something like that would seem to be a good candidate for solar electric power.

    As for my own solar project, my day did not go at all according to plan. The goal was to test the EPC with the fully charged battery. So this morning I went down to Skookum Maru and picked up the motor and then stopped by the shop to grab a few tools. Only to find that the sewer had backed up and the shop was flooded. So instead of testing the motor I spent my day moving boxes to try and keep them out of the “water” (it wasn’t water but I will avoid a more detailed description since this is a family publication), dealing with the building management, waiting for plumbers, waiting while the plumbers investigated, and then scrambling to figure out some sort of temporary solution when the plumbers found that the sewer pipe had collapsed and they couldn’t do anything about it because the collapse happened under a huge, six-story scaffolding that has been erected in front of the building, and which has to come down before the sewer can be repaired.

    It was not a red letter day.

    The back story here is that I have rented the entire basement garage of a 20’s era apartment building for several years now. It’s a great storage space (a little too great as it turns out, since I have managed to fill it with every manner of random things) but it’s not a great shop space. You can’t run power tools in it for one thing. And now I am going to have to move everything out for cleaning anyway so I think I’m on the hunt for a new space. But in the meantime I need to find a place to put some boats. Anyone have a lead on a good boat shed, woodworking shop or spacious garage for rent in the Seattle area?
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  18. #1173
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    3,858

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Chris, obviously I am too far away to have any immediate solution for your workspace problem, but is it possible that the Seattle Craigslist may have some leads for your search ?





    Rick

  19. #1174
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Chris, obviously I am too far away to have any immediate solution for your workspace problem, but is it possible that the Seattle Craigslist may have some leads for your search ?

    Rick

    Thanks Rick. Yes, craigslist seems to be the best place to look. Unfortunately anything resembling workshop space in Seattle is both rare and expensive. There are occasionally garages for rent but they are all "for storage only". I've responded to a few ads for garage space anyway, in the hope that I might find a place to store the boats at least. But I have no idea what I will do for a workshop. Which is something of a concern since I am in the middle of refinishing the Whitehall and was hoping to refinish the Whirlwind next. I don't even have the option of setting up a tent in the back yard because our little in-city home has no back yard at all. (It backs up right onto the neighbor's alley). One might reasonably question the wisdom of owning a home in the city with no yard and no garage if one is planning to own a small boat, or multiple small boats, but there you are. It's what we have.

    However that's a problem for another day. The situation at the shop is stable even if the aftermath of yesterday's flood is a bit awful. Today I managed to test the EPC on the bench. First I charged up the batteries for a bit to get them topped up. After the charger transitioned to maintenance mode on both batteries I got a reading of 28.75V, which should indicate nearly max charge:




    That reading was taken at the end of the connector pigtail so it should reflect what the motor is actually getting.

    Then I set up the motor on my improvised bench test rig and ran it. Starting slow it seemed like it was working fine. It would run forward and backward at part throttle for a while with no problems. But as soon as I increased the throttle past 3/4 or so it would die. After returning the throttle to zero and waiting for the three second reset delay it would do it again. And again.



    After testing it for two minutes or so, I checked the battery voltage again, and got 27.55V:



    That seems like a pretty significant drop for just a couple of minutes of run time but I'm not sure what I should expect. Typical LiPo discharge curves do have a steep drop after a short period of use but even so 0.6V per battery after such a short period of use seems like a lot. But the real concern is why the motor is shutting off to begin with. Based on the behavior I assume that either the BMS is shutting things off due to some internal fault condition, or that the motor controller is shutting off for similar reasons.

    Also when I added pigtails to the batteries for the charger hookup I noticed that one of the ground terminals is spinning in the case rather than fixed properly. I note that these batteries come with a warning not to exceed 5ft-lbs of torque on the terminals so I'm wondering if one of them was over-torqued at some point. I don't know how or why that would trigger a fault but it's something to consider.

    In any case, as they say, "no user serviceable parts inside" either the BMS or the motor controller so I think I just need to bounce it back to the manufacturer for resolution of some sort.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  20. #1175
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Aha! I think I have found the problem. I was reminded that Rick T. had suggested testing the battery voltage when the motor cut out. So I hooked up the multitester to one of the batteries and tried again. And this time the EPC ran fine. No issues. Which was puzzling. So I tried it again, same result. So then I left it running and started poking at connections. And as soon as I wiggled the connector between the batteries and the motor everything stopped. So I did that five or six times with the same results. As soon as that connector wiggles everything stops. That would also explain why the Noco charger, which is connected directly to the battery terminals, would charge the batteries but the OEM-supplied K2 charger, which connects to the motor pigtail, would not.

    So it looks like the problem is a bad connection between the motor and the battery. I assume the problem is with the battery cable given the charging problems but it might be a bad connector on the motor side as well. Difficult to know. Time to ping Joe I think.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  21. #1176
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Aha! First, really sorry about the leak, and what leaked. Yuk.

    I had a similar problem with mine, it was a bad connection at one of my cheap ammeters, so should have thought of loose connectors.

    I am also going to have to locate build space if I go ahead with a bigger boat. My garage was just big enough for Walkabout, while we have some yard space we are in one of those CC&R neighborhoods where an outside boat building tent would be verboten I am sure.

    The battery voltage curve is very steep just before full charge, not surprised at the change you saw.

  22. #1177
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle, W.A., U.S.A
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Shop space in notoriously hard to find. Personally is likely be talking to Ewing street, or seeing if I could find a boathouse/shop, that might likely allow you to move the boat and shop together.

  23. #1178
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Aha! First, really sorry about the leak, and what leaked. Yuk.

    I had a similar problem with mine, it was a bad connection at one of my cheap ammeters, so should have thought of loose connectors.

    I am also going to have to locate build space if I go ahead with a bigger boat. My garage was just big enough for Walkabout, while we have some yard space we are in one of those CC&R neighborhoods where an outside boat building tent would be verboten I am sure.

    The battery voltage curve is very steep just before full charge, not surprised at the change you saw.
    I'll bet! No CC&R here but we have neighbors. Who we get along with very well, but who would ask casual questions like "so, how long are you planning to have that up...?" if I put up a tent in the tiny scrap of yard we do have. Peer pressure is more effective than any covenant! If I want a space of any size I'm probably going to have to look outside of Seattle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelirrojo View Post
    Shop space in notoriously hard to find. Personally is likely be talking to Ewing street, or seeing if I could find a boathouse/shop, that might likely allow you to move the boat and shop together.
    Hm, I hadn't thought of Ewing Street. I used to keep the Whitehall in the water there. I kinda doubt Mike has any space available but it's worth giving him a call for sure. I've also reached out to Mark Lerdahl to see if he has any room at his place. Even something temporary that I could use until the refinishing projects are done would be great. In the meantime I did find a garage large enough to store one boat at least:



    It's tiny and dark and for storage only, but it's only a few blocks from the house and is large enough to hold a boat and trailer, with a bit of room on the side for some shelves. And maybe the reduction in space a good thing. I need to get rid of a ton of stuff anyway. Having the large shop just let me keep putting that project off.

    As for the EPC project, I heard back from Joe. He is going to send a replacement battery cable. Fingers crossed that will solve the problem. I also asked him about the firmware for 36V support and he said that it's doable but that it wouldn't run the motor at a higher output due to power controls in the firmware. He does have an update that will up the motor from 220W to 270W at 24V, which might be useful.

    Rick, I also asked him about parts to convert the throttle to a remote setup but haven't heard back from him on that yet. Do you have any details on what changes are needed to the motor? Is it just a cable gland and a longer USB cable?

    The garage debacle is slowing up progress on all the boat projects but I'm hoping to test the EPC on the Whirlwind as soon as I get the replacement cable.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  24. #1179
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    I had Joe modify the throttle cable before shipping, but yes it is a cable gland where the tiller arm used to be and a short pigtail with custom made USB waterproof socket. I added a tie mount to one of the motor screws to secure the loose pigtail. Then get a USB cable of desired length to go between the socket and the control, using electrical grease.



    My throttle, on a RAM mount:



    I did not know that converting to 36 V, 500 W required a firmware update. Glad you are doing the research for me....

  25. #1180
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Thanks for the photos Rick. I see how it's set up now. Hopefully Joe can steer me in the right direction to modify the motor I have, or maybe I can bring it in for modification since he's not far away.

    As for a 500W update, Joe didn't give me any indication that there was a way to do that. Just the 270W mod. Has he indicated that it's possible to you? Or is this something you are getting from your own research? I also wonder what the upper rpm limit for that propeller would be. Will it cavitate in it's driven much faster?
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  26. #1181
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Hmm, went back and checked my emails from Joe: "the current EPC platform is able to run up to 500 Watts of input power if you are using a 36V battery, and with a firmware change". Maybe "able to run" means not released yet. I uploaded a 250 W software only boost to mine, it had very little effect on the top speed of the Walkabout but the extra power does help against wind.

  27. #1182
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Hmm, went back and checked my emails from Joe: "the current EPC platform is able to run up to 500 Watts of input power if you are using a 36V battery, and with a firmware change". Maybe "able to run" means not released yet. I uploaded a 250 W software only boost to mine, it had very little effect on the top speed of the Walkabout but the extra power does help against wind.
    I had a conversation with Joe this morning and learned a bit more. Apparently there is an unreleased version of the firmware that removes the power limitation entirely and allows something like 750W at 36V, but with no thermal protection or other controls. Which sounds like a fun thing to experiment with but not really something for production release. In any case my next step is to get the replacement battery cable and then test the EPC on the Whirlwind as-is. Then I can determine what configuration I want for solar charging, power output, etc.

    In the meantime I'm slowly digging out from the shop disaster. Got the Whitehall and the rowing shell into the new garage.



    They fit, just, but there is no room for anything else unless I can get the rowing shell off the floor. I'm thinking about sling arrangements but maybe it's just time to downsize. I can only row one boat at a time and while the shell is a lovely boat I like the Whitehall better. Decisions...
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  28. #1183
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, Wa, USA
    Posts
    3,851

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    One problem with having Chronic Boat Acquisition Syndrome is that, eventually, you run out of space, and have to go through the painful process of un-acquiring. Medicate accordingly .
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

    Ben Sebens, RN

    15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

  29. #1184
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    One problem with having Chronic Boat Acquisition Syndrome is that, eventually, you run out of space, and have to go through the painful process of un-acquiring. Medicate accordingly .
    Sadly, the only palliative care available for CBAS is More Boats. In an emergency a suitable application of bourbon may temporarily relieve acute symptoms, however excess quantities of bourbon may lead to uninhibited surfing of craigslist, which generally leads to More Boats.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  30. #1185
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    1,153

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Sadly, the only palliative care available for CBAS is More Boats. In an emergency a suitable application of bourbon may temporarily relieve acute symptoms, however excess quantities of bourbon may lead to uninhibited surfing of craigslist, which generally leads to More Boats.
    The isn't enough bourbon in the world, we are all doomed!
    Steamboat

    I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

  31. #1186
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
    The isn't enough bourbon in the world, we are all doomed!
    Ah, but there are still plenty of old wooden boats...
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  32. #1187
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,190

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    So years ago, I am sitting with a client at Ivar's Salmon House. A parade of boats are streaming by. "You ever thought of getting a boat?" she asked. Um, I have eight currently, I told her. "There's probably a 12 step program for that," she said.

    I am down to seven now
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  33. #1188
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    So years ago, I am sitting with a client at Ivar's Salmon House. A parade of boats are streaming by. "You ever thought of getting a boat?" she asked. Um, I have eight currently, I told her. "There's probably a 12 step program for that," she said.

    I am down to seven now

    Ha! Yeah. I can just see a bunch of guys in paint stained Carhartt jackets sitting around some backyard bow shed drinking bad coffee. "Hi, my name is Chris, and I'm a boataholic". But I only have six boats right now so I guess I'm doing ok. Plus one of them is Dash's skiff so that doesn't count against my total, does it?
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  34. #1189
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,211

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    As an insight in to our family dynamic, I offer this snippet of conversation. Me, to my wife, with some trepidation: "Hey, what would you think about forty-six foot barge for a workshop space?" Silence (never a good sign). Me: "Hm?" Her: "Oh, was I actually supposed to respond to that?". Me: "Ha, ok". Her (since apparently we weren't done): "To rent?" Me: "No, it's for sale". Her: "No! No, no, no, no, no."

    I think the answer is no.

    There really is a 46' barge for sale in Tacoma. And it would make a great workshop. Assuming the price is right. And I could find a place to keep it. And insure it. And a bunch of other ifs that are probably not worth listing. Oh well. But I am stuck for workshop space since the sewer debacle in my current, soon to be former, shop. And I have a soft spot for floating workshops ever since I visited Frank Prothero's barge back in the early 1980s. Chris Cunningham, of Small Boats Monthly, describes that experience well in this article about Prothero's schooner, Glory of the Seas.

    https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/glory/

    I worked at the Wooden Boat Shop as a stock boy and general gofer at the same time as Chris, and I might have been along on that visit he describes. I got to go down there a couple of times and it was a formative experience for a twelve year old boy. Frank was a more-than-imposing character with no time for kids. I kept my mouth shut and my hands in my pockets. I remember that Glory was planked and decked at that time. She loomed over everything, an anachronistic monument to a life of hard work and skill. But it was the workshop that impressed me. High windows along both sides of the building let in a little light, just enough to illuminate mysterious cast iron machines, tools long worn to the hand of their master, sawdust on every surface.

    A good workshop has a certain smell. Machine oil, cold metal, wood, paint, and something else - something undefinable, but which brings up memories of all the shop spaces I have experienced. Starting with my Grandfather's shop in Maine. He was retired from the Navy, a former destroyer captain (Capt. R. S. Stevens jr,, U.S.N., ret.) but his passion was vintage Italian and British racing cars. They sat in a garage attached to the house, a Maserati 200si, an O.S.C.A. MT4, an Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ, and others. Just exotic shapes masked by cloth covers, but once in a while he would pull one of them out for a run on the back roads along the Damariscotta River - experiences I will never forget.

    But the real work went on in the basement. At the bottom of the stairs lay a long wooden workbench with tools - metric and Whitworth wrenches, special tools with unknown purposes and Italian names stamped on them - lined up on the wall behind or organized in drawers. Once, after I was old enough to be trusted, he gave me a handful of tools and a Weber carburetor to disassemble. "It's the only one of these in the world" he said "So don't lose any of the parts". I was very careful.

    That basement had the good shop smell.

    Living in Seattle, a place with little use for light industrial spaces, I have never had a permanent shop. For thirty years I have bounced around a series of garages, hobby spaces, basements, outbuildings, and similar places. For a few years in the nineties, when I was racing motorcycles, I had the great luck to find a space in a converted warehouse with a wall of windows overlooking Lake Union. That was a fantastic place filled with interesting people and machines. My neighbor did custom paint for Harley Davidsons and had a stint on Monster Garage with Jesse James. A descendant of Matisse (yes, that Matisse) kept his early Pantera across the aisle. That place had the good shop smell too, but it didn't last. The building was sold and we were all shuffled off of a nearby basement, and then to an even smaller basement, and finally evicted entirely.

    So here I am again. Looking for a place to paint a couple of boats, and maybe recreate a feeling that I had once when I was a boy. I imagine buying that barge and finding a place for it up on Steamboat Slough in Everett, with the abandoned tugboats. Build a timber frame structure with high, multi-paned windows, a wood stove in the corner, and a gantry crane. Not that I need a gantry crane, but a good workshop should have one. I'd put my vintage Powermatic table saw right in the middle, surrounded by the 1950s Delta band saw and whatever other old tools I could find. Hang barn lights from the rafters. And on Sunday afternoons I would walk down the ramp, slide open the barn doors, and breath in that smell. The good shop smell.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  35. #1190
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    North Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Skookum Maru

    Just to play devil's advocate...if you don't put the shell in a sling over the Whitehall, that space will be completely wasted. So that top 3 ft. is good for nothing else. I'm sure it's a sign. Just sayin'...

    Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •