Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Skookum Maru

Default Re: Skookum Maru

Thank you for taking the time to share that Chris! South Sound is one of those "one-of-these-days" cruises, but we'd probably be best off chartering as we'd have to bring the boat around from the Columbia and my wife doesn't do offshore happily after an inner ear infection. In fact we're thinking of selling the big boat (35' Santana) and just getting something small to sail/weekend on here on the Columbia and then do some chartering up north when the opportunity strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post

Plus it doesn't look like a Klingon Battle Cruiser, unlike some other popular electric outboards.

https://www.electricpaddle.com/
    Oh boy. I never thought of my Torqeedo in that way. But now.... Watch out world! Emily Ruth is armed and dangerous!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to share that Chris! South Sound is one of those "one-of-these-days" cruises, but we'd probably be best off chartering as we'd have to bring the boat around from the Columbia and my wife doesn't do offshore happily after an inner ear infection. In fact we're thinking of selling the big boat (35' Santana) and just getting something small to sail/weekend on here on the Columbia and then do some chartering up north when the opportunity strikes.
    Cheers Hugh. Weekending on the Columbia and longer charter cruising in the Salish region seems like a great plan to me. In fact, before Skookum Maru found her way into our lives we had considered chartering a boat for an annual week-long cruise rather than owning a big boat. Once you factor in the moorage and maintenance costs the charter is definitely the less expensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Oh boy. I never thought of my Torqeedo in that way. But now.... Watch out world! Emily Ruth is armed and dangerous!

Jeff

- Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

But in the spirit of exploration we decided to spend the night there and see how we liked it in the morning, so we found a spot to drop anchor at the edge of the mooring field and anchored in six fathoms and a sand and mud bottom with 3:1 scope. Which is less than Chapman would have us use but is common enough in crowded anchorages out here.
    I think you will find that in a good sand and mud bottom, that 25Kg Rocna will hold well down to 2:1. Set with a good backdown at 3:1 or more if you can, and then reel in some chain. If you need to!

I'm enjoying the pictures Chris, many thanks for posting your trip report. No picture of the Dickinson cooking dinner or breakfast though?...

Quote Originally Posted by _QB_ View Post
    I think you will find that in a good sand and mud bottom, that 25Kg Rocna will hold well down to 2:1. Set with a good backdown at 3:1 or more if you can, and then reel in some chain. If you need to!

I'm enjoying the pictures Chris, many thanks for posting your trip report. No picture of the Dickinson cooking dinner or breakfast though?...
    I expect that you are correct about the Rocna, Paul. The question is whether I could overcome forty years of habit and trust that a modern anchor would hold at that scope. I don't know that I would ever sleep soundly with less than 3:1. It's a great anchor though.

As for the Dickinson, except for the first morning in Brownsville it was far too hot to run the diesel stove so we cooked on butane burners the entire trip. Very handy but not at all picturesque. I do need to create some sort of sea rail and pot holders for the gas burners though. We were waked several times while cooking and had to hold on to the pots and pans to keep our dinner from crashing to the cabin sole - or worse.

And since this is the "Building / Repair" forum, I guess I should post something related to that topic. We are planning on a haulout for hull paint in September and it's time for another coat or two of varnish so we will be working on that soon. Otherwise we just have the usual list of minor projects to tackle. Starting with the solar panels, which were not charging on this trip. While we were anchored at Penrose Pt. I spent an afternoon with the wiring diagram and the manual for the charging controller trying to get it working again. After pulling the inline fuse to check it (still good) the panels started charging so I assumed that the fuse holder had just gotten loose. Problem solved, or so I thought. But the panels charged for a few hours and then stopped working again. And this time no amount of fiddling with the fuse made a difference. So now I am not sure where the problem lies. More investigation needed.
    - Chris

Nice write up Chris. Sorry we didn’t overlap. We are back in Gig Harbor just to stage for home today, although we have friends urging us to join them in Quartermaster tonight. We spent a great night at Eagle Island, very peaceful except for the 80-100 seals frolicking and yipping and snorting about but you can’t help but smile at them. The water there was extremely clear and drifting in the dinghy watching the bottom was hypnotic. We even went for a short swim off the beach. I think you said you remember the narrow Balch Passage between McNeil and Eagle Island on your way out of Filucy. Now imagine our surprise at looking up and seeing a 600’ freighter coming through there.

Penrose used to to be a nice spot as did the Raft Island area just to the north. But it seems lately Carr Inlet has become the place for gasoline speedsters. Fortunately they have not really invaded south of McNeil Island yet. Filucy was a good start, as you go south from there you will find more nice peaceful spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Nice write up Chris. Sorry we didn’t overlap. We are back in Gig Harbor just to stage for home today, although we have friends urging us to join them in Quartermaster tonight. We spent a great night at Eagle Island, very peaceful except for the 80-100 seals frolicking and yipping and snorting about but you can’t help but smile at them. The water there was extremely clear and drifting in the dinghy watching the bottom was hypnotic. We even went for a short swim off the beach. I think you said you remember the narrow Balch Passage between McNeil and Eagle Island on your way out of Filucy. Now imagine our surprise at looking up and seeing a 600’ freighter coming through there.

Penrose used to to be a nice spot as did the Raft Island area just to the north. But it seems lately Carr Inlet has become the place for gasoline speedsters. Fortunately they have not really invaded south of McNeil Island yet. Filucy was a good start, as you go south from there you will find more nice peaceful spots.
    Thanks Ron. A freighter in Balch Passage!? I guess it's the most direct route between Olympia and the Tacoma Narrows but yeah, that would seem like a tight squeeze. Especially since the depth is only around ten fathoms in the narrow channel between Eagle and McNeil. "Constrained by draft" barely covers it.

Our goal for this trip was to explore a bit and find places that we wanted to come back to as well as ones that we would avoid in the future. Task accomplished, but with better knowledge now I would arrange things a bit differently. Next time I think we would leave a little earlier and spend the first night at Blakely Harbor, Blake Island, Illahee, or even Gig Harbor rather than Shilshole. Shilshole is handy but I'd rather be at anchor than tied to a dock. Then we would head south and spend the next night or two in Filucy Bay before continuing down to check out Jarrell Cove and some of the other destinations in that area.

Filucy Bay and Eagle Island are also close enough that it seems like we could get there for a long weekend if we head out on Friday afternoon, provided that we can time things for a favorable current in the Tacoma Narrows. Today, for example, slack water at the Narrows is at around 5:30 pm. If we left around 2:30 we could be in the Narrows by then, or not too long after. And then on the way back on Sunday we could make the Narrows at high tide around 5:30 pm again and then be going with the ebb all the way home. (I'm assuming that currents in the Narrows track fairly closely with the tides since it's the monitoring station).

Tempting...
    - Chris

This site does a great job of visualizing currents.
    https://www.deepzoom.com/

It's fun to zoom out and see just how massive the currents are at Deception Pass compared to just about anywhere else in the region.

Wow. Great find Lukes. Thanks!

Yes - thanks! I had not seen that site before. It's a really nice way to view currents. OpenCpn, the nav software I'm using, does show currents at each station but as far as I've been able to determine there isn't any way to view the full picture over time the way the deepzoom site does. You can only select an individual station to view.
    - Chris

OpenCpn looks great. I will give this a try next time I'm off for more than a few hours.

I really like Navionics web app, which is free on their site, both for high quality charts and for the auto routing feature which takes your draft, speed, fuel burn, etc. all into account. Worth checking out.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...%7DzvbHfr%60jV

And now we should probably get back to whatever minor repairs Skookum Maru needs... What's it like to have a fully functional boat?

Quote Originally Posted by lukes View Post
    OpenCpn looks great. I will give this a try next time I'm off for more than a few hours.

I really like Navionics web app, which is free on their site, both for high quality charts and for the auto routing feature which takes your draft, speed, fuel burn, etc. all into account. Worth checking out.

And now we should probably get back to whatever minor repairs Skookum Maru needs... What's it like to have a fully functional boat?
    Yeah - what is that like? What a concept...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Yeah - what is that like? What a concept...
    I always get a chuckle when someone asks me if my boat is finished yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lukes View Post

I've used both Navionics (desktop version) and OpenCpn and find them to be pretty similar, at least at the basic "see where I am and all the stuff I don't want to hit" level of navigation. I haven't used the Navionics web app before but just took a look. Seems decent enough but not sure how that would work in places with no internet connection? Will it run offline? It would have been awkward to lose access to chart plotting right in the middle of Pitt Passage...! I would rather use paper charts than rely on an electronic chart that might stop working at the worst possible moment. Of course that could be true with a desktop app as well so we always keep paper charts handy just in case.

As for Skookum Maru, yes - having a fully functional boat is an amazing experience! I spent most of the weekend simply enjoying how well set up she is, and how well maintained she has been by her previous owners - in particular by Paul and Kim. Savona was the same way. Perfectly set up for cruising and always ready to go. After spending two decades with a series of boats that all needed major work - Perihelion, Temptation and Petrel - it's nice to have a boat that just needs to be maintained.

Of course there is always a to-do list. Regular maintenance of the paint and varnish of course. And the dinghy davit needs to be serviced. At the very least it needs grease at the bearing surfaces but I'm thinking it might be time to strip it down completely. I need to sort out the problem with the solar panels. The gear main seal still needs to be replaced. There are soft spots in the mast that need to be addressed - that sort of thing. And then there is a much longer list of things which are not necessary but that we would like to do. I want to reconfigure the nav electronics to make room for a laptop at the helm. I still need to sort out the hydronic heating system and hook it up to the coil in the diesel stove. And at some point I'd like to replace the cable steering with hydraulic. It would make the helm much lighter.

But none of these things prevent us from just going cruising whenever we have the time to get away. And that, after all, is the point. As it says down there in my signature line, "Life is short. Go boating now!"
    - Chris

I've used Navonics on my cell phone it did not seem to affect the memory on the phone very much. I also used
    activecaptain.Com which I believe is based on the Navonics also.

Welcome back Chris! You've been missed or is it your writing we miss the most?
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

What a lovely trip. It has a wet heading towards record breaking here.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    I've used Navonics on my cell phone it did not seem to affect the memory on the phone very much. I also used
    activecaptain.Com which I believe is based on the Navonics also.

Welcome back Chris! You've been missed or is it your writing we miss the most?
    Thanks Denise I'm just happy to have something to write about.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    What a lovely trip. It has a wet heading towards record breaking here.
    Ugh - sorry to hear that Jim. I wondered why we hadn't seen any update on Amazon, although I did see that you are working on the transmission. Any luck with it yet?

And it looks like we might get back to South Sound sooner than I expected. Along with all of the other disasters both major and trivial happening this year, it turns out that we need to have our side sewer replaced. So there will be a crew at our house for most of the next two weeks digging up the yard and doing other stuff with pipes and hoses and things. For all of that time our place is going to be a noisy, dirty, mess. For some of the time we will be without water and sewer at the house. So after looking at our various options we have decided to get out of town until it's done. The rough itinerary for this cruise will be something like Gig Harbor, Filucy Bay or Eagle Island, maybe Hope Island, maybe Jarrell Cove. We will have more time than we did this last weekend so we plan on exploring further. Suggestions encouraged.
    - Chris

Unfortunately, the transmission issue has turned into a repower. But the new motor should be here Tuesday. It’s a story but not one I’ve been excited about sharing.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Unfortunately, the transmission issue has turned into a repower. But the new motor should be here Tuesday. It’s a story but not one I’ve been excited about sharing.
    I understand. Sorry to hear that Jim. I hope you are able to get back on the water soon.
    - Chris

Haven't we all been there! Sorry to hear it Jim.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Powerwagon View Post
    Highway 20 goes from Portland, Oregon to Boston, Massachusetts...I've wanted to drive that route in my camper.
    Highway 20 doesn't go through Portland, it starts in Newport, Oregon, a fishing village right on the Pacific. They have a sign here with the miles to Boston saying it's the longest road in the USA. Newport has one of the largest wood-hulled fishing fleets left on the west coast. (Westport has a respectable showing too.)

Cheers - C.
    1973 Grand Banks 42

As for the Dickinson, except for the first morning in Brownsville it was far too hot to run the diesel stove so we cooked on butane burners the entire trip. Very handy but not at all picturesque. I do need to create some sort of sea rail and pot holders for the gas burners though. We were waked several times while cooking and had to hold on to the pots and pans to keep our dinner from crashing to the cabin sole - or worse.
    Good morning Chris -

Some folks in the fleet here put their gas burners on top of the diesel stove and then fabricate pot holders to fit onto the existing diesel stove sea rails. Seems to work well, even drifting offshore in 6' wind chop, also known as summer down here...

With our fog and winds, when it's 90 degrees 5 miles inland the wind chill feels like 45 even in the harbor, so I run the diesel stove every night. Not as warm as the tropical paradise of Puget Sound hundreds of miles to the north...

I hope you get more cruising time this fall. It's been such a strange year we could all use a little more family time at anchor.

-C.
    1973 Grand Banks 42

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-on-the-Boat View Post
    Good morning Chris -

Some folks in the fleet here put their gas burners on top of the diesel stove and then fabricate pot holders to fit onto the existing diesel stove sea rails. Seems to work well, even drifting offshore in 6' wind chop, also known as summer down here...

With our fog and winds, when it's 90 degrees 5 miles inland the wind chill feels like 45 even in the harbor, so I run the diesel stove every night. Not as warm as the tropical paradise of Puget Sound hundreds of miles to the north...

I hope you get more cruising time this fall. It's been such a strange year we could all use a little more family time at anchor.

-C.
    Thanks Chris - that's pretty much what I've been thinking. We already put the burners on the stove top, we just need taller pot holders to fit the existing sea rails. Should be easy enough. And yes, we are definitely hoping for some good fall cruising. I am a child of the PNW. Anything much over 70 degrees is too hot for me and while I enjoy the sun, after a few days of it I start hoping for a good marine layer to show up and cool things off a bit. My ideal evening would be lying at anchor somewhere quiet with the stove going to keep off the chill and the family working on a puzzle or playing cards. Dash wants to learn cribbage.
    - Chris

Chris - if you are looking for a small father / son project, look for cribbage board plans on the 'net - then Dash would have 'his own' board that he (and you) made --- just a suggestion

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Chris - if you are looking for a small father / son project, look for cribbage board plans on the 'net - then Dash would have 'his own' board that he (and you) made --- just a suggestion

Rick
    I like it - that would be a fun project. However my problem at the moment is that we have a few too many father/son projects going on right now. When the pandemic hit we were in the middle of building a model railroad layout together. We (well, mostly I) had just finished the benchwork and it was time to start laying track but then we got buried with home schooling and other madness so it has been sitting untouched for months. We also have an old Dumas Lightning pond boat model that we were restoring last winter. We got the hull painted and it's about ready to be rigged again but that project has been dormant for a while now as well. No real reason we can't pick up either or both of those projects again, but more recently Dash has decided that he wants to learn guitar so we started doing that last night. Of course he quickly found out that playing a guitar hurts until you build up calluses on your finger tips so the enthusiasm level diminished a bit during the first lesson. But he says he wants to do it again tonight so we will see.
    - Chris

One of my favorite podcasts is The Omnibus Project by Seattle luminaries John Roderick and Ken Jennings. They did an episode on Chinook Jargon earlier this year which I just thought about again while browsing this great thread. For those who would like to know a bit more about the entomology of the good ship Skookum Maru: Entry 215.1C1413 in the Omnibus, Cert.Nr. 5725 Chinook Jargon.

Quote Originally Posted by MoritzSchwarzer View Post
    One of my favorite podcasts is The Omnibus Project by Seattle luminaries John Roderick and Ken Jennings. They did an episode on Chinook Jargon earlier this year which I just thought about again while browsing this great thread. For those who would like to know a bit more about the entomology of the good ship Skookum Maru: Entry 215.1C1413 in the Omnibus, Cert.Nr. 5725 Chinook Jargon.

Nice find! I haven't had a chance to listen yet but will definitely do so. I've done a little bit of reading on Chinook and other First Nations languages but I don't know very much. It will be interesting to learn more.
    - Chris

Nice find!
    You're welcome. It's a very clever name, and fitting.

We are sitting at anchor in Friday Harbor after an Odyssey which has taken us from Jarrell Cove in South Sound to the San Juan Islands via a 19-hour, all night run. Full story when we get back but in the meantime...

- Chris

LOVELY VIEWS!

Chris you may already but do you have a video of your engine room with your DD running?
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Jarrell Cove in South Sound to the San Juan Islands via a 19-hour, all night run.
    I say: wow. That's some pretty interesting water to be navigating at night. And crossing the east entrance to Juan de Fuca at any time is serious. I'm certainly looking forward to the details of this adventure.

After I renovated the running lights and converted them to LED, I never ran the boat at night. They look good in that photo, I hope they worked well for you.

--Paul

We are in Reid Harbor, Stuart Island now with almost no cell/internet service so can’t post much but we didn’t brave the Strait on that trip. Forecast overnight was for gale winds with a small craft advisory in effect so we took the prudent course and went up behind Whidbey and through the Swinomish Channel. All the tricky parts were done in daylight. Still there were a few interesting moments. Details later...

Oh, and Denise - I took an engine room video just for you. Will post when we are back in the land of broadband.
    - Chris

Wow. That’s a pretty major trip in one run. Seems like hitting all the tides right in critical channels would be quite a logistics problem in its own right, let alone dealing with weather and nightness. I avoid running at night anymore, even with the chart plotter set to night vision red screen, I still have trouble seeing past the bow. Would you describe the San Juans as crowded or not so much?

Chris, if you haven't already, hike to the top of Tip Top Hill. Great view and one of the best things about anchoring in Reid Harbor
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Come on in to Bham! We'll be out and about in Bellingham Bay in the old whitehall saturday afternoon.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty